Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: just stopping by

Thanks

I have been praying for all the people affected by these tornadoes. I am so sad about all the people that lost their lives. Please know that you and yours are in my prayers.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to busymom3 For This Useful Post:

mountaindreamer (05-13-2011)

Thanks

Phyllis,
    My heart goes out to you, your family and all of those poor folks who are dealing with that horrible tragedy.
    I'm glad that you are able to help, but please take care of yourself, too.
    Thinking of you.
    Hugs,
    Marla

4. The Following User Says Thank You to magistramarla For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Hi Phyllis-

It's so good to hear from you. I'm so sorry for the tragedy that has struck your community. It looks absolutely horrific from the newscasts. The devastation brought tears to my eyes as I thought of those that lost loved ones and all of their possessions in just seconds.

While you are so busy taking care of others in their time of need, please remember to take care of yourself, too.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to BonusMom For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

thank you all for your kind words.

i am actually on a 3 day escape so that my tired body and mind can rest for a bit. I found out some additional information this week: 20,000 homes were destroyed; 50,000 people are homeless (our town only has 95,000); and the tornado was 1/2 mile wide when it entered the town, as it passed through, it picked up debris, and was 1 1/2 mile wide when it left....a huge pissed off storm blew through on that afternoon.

i have adopted the local charity medical clinic as one of my "donation children." The "Good Samaritan Clinic" provides medical services to those in need, and they have been setting up weekend clinics in the worst hit areas. They really need reading glasses and $5.00 walmart gift cards. The drs. at the clinic are amazed at the number of people who lost their glasses in the storm, and they don't have the money to buy more. Also, the clinic provides some medications, but sometimes the patients have to go to walmart to get prescriptions filled at $4.10 per prescription.....people lost their money, jobs.....hell, they even lost their mailbox for receiving paychecks. so, i am making it a personal project to gather glasses and walmart gift cards.....if any of you have any reading glasses sitting around your house, or if you are able to buy a $5.00 walmart gift card, please mail them to:

The Good Samaritan Clinic
    3880 Watermelon Road
    Northport, AL 35473

thanks for all of your prayers....they DO work. I am going back Monday, and will be there for the next 2 weeks, then i think i will take a break. Can't wait to catch up with each of you soon.
    Last edited by mountaindreamer; 05-13-2011 at 03:24 PM.
    Phyllis

share a smile today

Thanks

Phyllis,
    You're doing good work, sweetie. It's so heartbreaking to see the devastation that happened there, and now with what is happening along the Mississippi River.
    It is a really tough spring for so many people.
    Take good care of yourself, too.
    Big Hugs,
    Marla

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,211 Posts

I have become heartbroken over what is going on with the Mississippi as well! All those poor people whose home will be flooded so other people can be saved. It just seems wrong somehow but I have to assume that they know what they are doing. My thoughts are with everyone that has been harmed during these events.
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

Thanks

Mari,
    I grew up within sight of the Mississippi and I remember very well the flooded basements and loss of a few crops every spring, but this is by far the worst that I've ever seen. I'll need to check with my cousin about how Golden Eagle and Calhoun county have fared. That was where my mother's family had originally homesteaded, and it was very close to the river. I had a great-uncle who ran the ferry, which was the only way to get to Golden Eagle. My best childhood memories are of that beautiful, but dangerous river.
    Marla

Thanks

Hi Phyllis,

I am sorry for the amount of people who have lost their homes but i glad you've taken notice of your own body as well needing a rest.

It's just so bad how these things are happening all over the world and so many lifes being lost.

((My thoughts are deeply with you phyllis)) xxxxxx