Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: just stopping by

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Default just stopping by

hi everyone,

i have not been around for several weeks now. My help was needed to get our family business back on track, so i have been really busy helping at the office in Tuscaloosa, Alabama.

while here, the tornado hit almost 2 weeks ago, and cut a 1/2 mile wide hole through my home town....it was just heart breaking. all of my family and our businesses are ok, but there are so many people here who have lost everything. the tornado entered on the southwest corner and first hit a public housing neighborhood where many children were outside playing....we lost several children in this area. then the tornado went close to the university of alabam campus, destroying older homes and university apartments. we lost some elderly and some college students in this area. then it just tore through the central hub of the town, and kept tearing apart everything as it finally passed through the northeast corner. it barely missed a nursery school where many children were huddled in the hallway, but it hit a pizza place accross the street where 3 children were lost while at a birthday party.....so hard to accept some of these losses. we have lost over 40 people and over 80 are still missing.....military helicopters pass over each day going to the wooded areas and dropping military troops into the wilderness looking for more bodies....i stop and say a little prayer every time one passes over. my family has been helping churches, businesses, and friends in an effort to clean up the destruction, to provide housing, storage and supplies, and to start rebuilding our little town. I have been focusing on collecting supplies for the humane society, and providing medical supplies to the local "good samatarian clinic."

i struggle through each day, because my lupus does not care that others need my help, but i keep going, and will rest when everyone has a shirt on their back, food on their table (when they get one), and a home to start a new life.

we have had tornadoes in this area for as long as i can remember, but nothing like this one....it truly looks like an atomic bomb went off here. but, the people of this town are amazing...before the officials could even make their way to the desroyed areas, university students were pulling the elderly out of the rubble and carrying them for miles seeking medical help. Anyone who could help were doing so, we were providing medical attention in the middle of the streets, and we were having to respectfully cover the deceased until vans could get in to remove the bodies. people were firing up their grills (no one had electricity), and cooking meals for the victims and those helping, people were showing up with clothes and anything that the victims might need. and people were opening their homes to strangers for a night's rest. i am so proud of everyone here.....we pulled together and we will pull out of this disaster.

anyway, sorry for the dissertation....just wanted to say hi, i miss all of you, and i promise that i will be back once my town is recovering, and once my family's business has weathered this last obstacle.

sorry that i don't have time to read the posts and catch up with everyone....i hope all of you are doing ok, i think about you all, and look forward to reuniting with my "family of the sky".

peace and good health to everyone.
    Phyllis

share a smile today

Thanks

dear phyllis i am so sorry you and your town are going through this i was saddened to hear of the loss of children hope everything gets better and you are certainly a kind caring person that i am glad to call my friend my thoughts and prayers are with all of you hugs kim l

3. The Following User Says Thank You to kim,l For This Useful Post:

mountaindreamer (05-13-2011)

Blog Entries
    Thanks

We understand completely. I've sent stuff to Tuscaloosa to help since I can't go. Do what you can, be who you are. We'll see you when you get back. Call me when you are back. I go to my son's on the 20th for s few days.

Hugs and love
    Toni

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Nonna For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

(((HUGS))) I was so sad to hear of the tornado but now that I have a face that I have come to love tied to it, I am really just heart-broken for your friends and family. Especially those with little ones still missing. You're in my thoughts and prayers and so is your whole town. If there's something specific I can do from up here to help, please let me know. Is there a local organization taking donations?
    As long as this body works, I am going to enjoy life to the fullest for each second of every moment that I can.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to SandyR For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Hello Phyllis,

Nice to hear off you but not under such bad circumstances, it's so good of yourself to put yourself a side and help your home town first and people.
    (( All my deepest thoughts are with you)) xxx

(((To all those who have sadly paced away RIP from we all from WHL)))

Last edited by Peridot20_Gem; 05-10-2011 at 06:52 AM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Peridot20_Gem For This Useful Post:

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

I was thinking of you the other day Phyllis, and was wondering how you were doing. I'm very glad to hear that you and your immediate family are OK. If you have not done it already, reach back, and pat yourself on the back for all that you are doing to help others in their time of dire need. And you are doing these things despite Lupus, that's really something special. Dealing with disaster, and the casualties that result, will test the toughest of people. Dealing with the dead on a small scale can be very difficult, dealing with it on a large scale can be devastating. If you ever need to talk, just let me know.

If there is any good that comes from such horrible events, it's the fact that the worst of circumstances bring out the absolute best in the people who are involved. Please be careful, and don't forget to take care of you along the way.

Rob

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rob For This Useful Post:

mountaindreamer (05-13-2011), tgal (05-10-2011)

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,742 Times in 1,211 Posts

I agree with Rob. The worst of situations does tend to bring out the best in most people. I am so glad to know that you and your family are OK. I have been watching about those on TV and they look so bad there but I know that in person it must be heartbreaking.

I know you are working on getting the business running but please try and take care of yourself. There is only 1 you and you can't help anyone if you are not here
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

13. The Following User Says Thank You to tgal For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Phyliss,
    Thanks for the update. My prayers and thoughts are with all of you. Besure to call and let me know when you get back home, or if you need to vent or just talk, while you are there, give me a call any time. Take care of yourself and God Bless all of you.

Sue
    Sue

'Friends are like stars.....You don't always see them, but you know they are there.'

15. The Following User Says Thank You to lacey50 For This Useful Post:

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hi Phyllis;
    I watched, with sadness and shock, the reports about the tornado, the damage, the lives lost, and those still missing. It is, as you said, heart wrenching. I admire you and your family for all that you've done and are doing to be there for those in need. At this time, when you heart is so filled with the well being of others, you will find that you will have the strength and resiliency that you need to continue this work. You are doing so much that is so valuable and, I am sure, so very, very appreciated.
    Just make sure, when you return home, that you give yourself plenty of down time in order to allow your body to rest. I am sending you and your family my prayers.

Peace and Blessings
    Namaste
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Saysusie For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Default Prayer

Dear God, you are our refuge and strength, a very present help in time of trouble. In the wake of storms and natural disasters in the south, midwest and through out the world.... and they have come in many....reveal your presence so that all may know your healing, hope and love. As one community on earth bound together by your grace....inspire us to pray, serve, and help all those who suffer. God Bless the communities, Phyllis, her family....Thank you, Heavenly Father....Amen

Be safe Phyllis..love and hugs...Me.
    Last edited by Oluwa; 05-10-2011 at 08:35 PM.
    I have Lupus. So *^#@! what.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Oluwa For This Useful Post: