Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Inward foot

Thanks

Default Inward foot

Hi
    My left foot is inward for 2 years, I am using forearm crutches. I am still new to Lupus, I hope this isn't a dumb question. Is this part of Lupus? I had an MRI and X ray in 2010 with abnormal growth in my joints. I did goggle this and it said its part of Lupus. You just can't go by what you read online. Here it goes

Fibrocartilaginous Calcaneonaviculer Coalition.
    And

Degenerative Hypertrophic

Just in case someone would like to look these up, and if anyone like to read the full report just let me know

Thanks
    Liz

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,742 Times in 1,211 Posts

Hi again Liz,

There are no dumb questions as far as this disease goes! New things happen and we ask about them all the time.

The funny part of Lupus is that although there are things can are common Lupus can attack any part of your body. My Lupus is not like anyone else's although others will have some of the same symptoms I have as well as some that I don't. The answer to your question about the foot turning inward is that yes, it can be from Lupus or other autoimmune disease. I had a problem with dragging my foot for about 3 months. My 1st and 2nd MRI showed the demylenating process happening in my brain and then the foot began to get better. They did another MRI and the spreading had stopped and the areas looked better.

Many here have problems with their limbs doing things that shouldn't or not doing what they should. The good news is that maybe this will give you an answer to what has been going on with you for so long and at least make you feel better about not being crazy!
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

Thanks

Thanks Mari,

your a wonderful Mod to this group, I feel like the puzzle is almost done. I had always wonder why my foot, my Foot doctor never seen anything like this before. And he is the one that told me not to give up, I am glad I listen to him. I don't have trust in Doctors, hosptal. Scared to death of Needles. I will call my doctor Monday.
    Thanks
    Liz

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,742 Times in 1,211 Posts

Hi Liz. Thank you so much for the complement but honestly all I do is try to give back even a small part of what has been given to me by those here. I am glad you have one doctor you supporting you on your journey. As I have said before, I am no doctor so I can't say what you have or don't have but I do know that you have to be your best advocate. Stand up for yourself and please let us know if you have any questions~
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

Thanks

Hi Liz,

How your having those symptoms i have spasms that bad that lock my legs and toes and twist my legs, it can be murder this lot can at times and i find it hard to master as each day you never know what your wakening up to.

I'll add below info concerning the condition's you've asked about and i hope the info helps. Terri x

Thanks

Fibrocartilaginous Calcaneonavicular Coalition

Fibrocartilaginous calcaneonavicular coalition is a congenital condition involving a "bridge" that connects two bones in the foot. It results when the calcaneus and the navicular bones, which are located in the foot, don't fully separate, leading to a small bridge of cartilage connecting the two bones. This causes pain and discomfort, as well as posing problems for walking.

Step 1
    Confirm the diagnosis. Although the symptoms may seem to begin suddenly, this is a congenital condition (meaning it was there from birth) and, as such, can require long-term treatment. As a result, multiple X-rays and a CT scan are critical to confirming the diagnosis of fibrocartilaginous calcaneonavicular coalition.

Step 2
    Immobilize the foot by fitting a cast that immobilizes the foot and ankle completely for three to six weeks.

Suffered a Bone Fracture? See If You Could Be Eligible For 100% Compensation - Visit us now! National-Accident-Helpline.co.uk
    Sponsored Links
    Step 3
    Fit an orthosis (a plastic foot and ankle brace) to the affected foot. This device will be custom fitted and will help give support to the foot.

Step 4
    Have the affected bones surgically separated. For this procedure, the cartilage bridge connecting the two bones is cut and removed, with a muscle (the extensor digitorum brevis) put in between the two bones to prevent the bridge from forming again.

Step 5
    Have the bones fused. This can be done on coalitions that are too far advanced to have the bridge cut. As a result, the bones may instead be permanently fused to relieve joint problems and to prevent the bones from grinding against each other.

Thanks

Degenerative Hypertrophi

Facet Hypertrophy is an enlargement of the facet joint. It can increase to the point where
    nerves in the spine come under pressure and can cause lateral recess stenosis with subsequent radiculopathy. The hypertrophic degenerated joint is also a pain generator of its own.

Normal Spinal Canal and Facet Joints

Stenosis and right-sided Facet Hypertrophy

Normal Facets in a CT

Facet Hypertrophy in a CT

The inferior articular process of a vertebra with the superior spinal processes of the adjacent
    lower vertebra forms a facet joint, also known as the zygapophysial joint. The facet joint is a synovial joint, as opposed to cartilaginous or fibrous joint. This means that the joint is
    surrounded by a capsule, which is filled with lubricating fluid. The facet joint guides the flexion, extension and the rotation of the spine, while limiting motion in all directions to the appropriate degree.

Facet Hypertrophy: Most Often Treated
    A Facet Hypertrophy most often occurs in people above the age of thirty.

Facet Hypertrophy: Causes
    Osteoarthritis and overload are the most common causes of facet hypertrophy. Osteoarthritis causes osteophytes to grow on the bony components of the facet joint. The most common
    cause of overloading is degenerative disc disease, which causes the disc height to shrink and consequently the bony components of the facet joint to place increasing pressure on each other. This type of pressure is also thought to increase the growth of osteophytes in the facet joint.

Facet Hypertrophy: Symptoms
    People with condition often adapt their posture to avoid pain, so they may walk hunch over, depending of the location in the spine of the condition. They often complain of stiffness and back pain.

Facet Hypertrophy: Diagnosis
    Diagnosis of a Facet Hypertrophy is made by imaging. Confirmation of this pain generator can
    be made by injection of a local anesthetic into the joint. If the patient experiences a
    corresponding relief of pain, this is confirmation of painful Facet Hypertrophy. Correlation
    between symptoms and imaging findings can conclude nerve entrapment by Facet Hypertrophy.

Facet Hypertrophy: Treatment (Conservative)
    Steroid Injections
    Analgesic injections
    Anti-inflammatories
    Exercise
    Physical Therapy
    Braces
    Facet Hypertrophy: Treatment Surgical Options
    If pain is severe and continuous, or if there are neurological deficits, surgery may be
    recommended. Surgical options include:

Facet Joint Replacement (such as Zyre) – genuine facet prostheses are now available
    Facet arthroplasty - mild cases
    Percutaneous denervation (to quell nerve transmission of pain)
    - Cryogenic Denervation
    - Rhizotomy
    Dynamic Spine Stabilization (DSS) to unload and realign the facets
    Interspinous Process Decompression (IPD), aka Interlaminar Decompression (ILD)
    Artificial Disc Replacement
    Surgical goals include relief of nerve compression, allowing the nerve to recover, as well as
    the relief of joint pain and restoration of normal function.

Facet Hypertrophy: Surgery Risks
    All surgery carries risks from anesthesia, blood clots and infections. If complications from these risks arise, they most often can be successfully treated. The physical condition of the patient
    (such as obesity and diabetes) can also add risk to surgery.

Facet Hypertrophy: Surgery Long-Term Outlook
    The appropriate surgical procedure properly executed will provide long term relief for the
    degenerated disc(s) treated. However, if the condition was allowed to continue too long and the nerves have become damaged, there may be some remaining pain or numbness or no
    improvement. Also, any degenerative process will likely continue, therefore problems in
    other areas of the spine may appear at a later time.

Facet Hypertrophy
    Last edited by Peridot20_Gem; 05-09-2011 at 12:56 PM.

Thanks

Terri thanks for all of the info, I read these over. I spoke to my eye doctor, ooops lets back up. I would see red and white dots, then I have the feeling of going blind, double vision. Burning pain and water eyes. This can last for 30 mins monthly. My doctor did the exam and everything was normal, however my field test failed and she didn't understand why. Till doctor give her the DX of Lupus, surgery will not help. Glasses she doesn't think they will help.

Foot Doctor I called to give him the news, He said it make scents Lupus was killing my healthy tissue, bone ETC. My body re grow bone/ that is soft and hard and my body is confused and added bone where it shouldn't be. I asked him Can we do the infuse the bones (Joints) like we spoke about last year. He told me in 3-4 years my foot would go inward again. Surgey wasn't the best idea. I should wear a custom made boot for the rest of my life. I am angry and confuse.

Thanks

Liz,

I'm being straight in your position i'd be angry and confused because those custom made boots are'nt very nice either.

Surely to god they could help and sort your bones in some way. My toes since a child twisted in to my big toe and that twists inwardly and when these spasms come my god they're forced even worse but lupus does affects the bones and joint's badley besides the tissue.

I had an eye test also and i've got field trouble but my eyes are bad anyway for short and long distance but they check me for dry eyes with the sjogren's and so far they've scored 6/10 they reckon when it reaches 2-3/10 that's when they start worrying.

I'm not joking and everyone can vouche for this before they took meds, you never know where you are and it still intefers with some when on meds, it's just one terrible disease for we all.

Thanks

Terri I may forgo the shoes, I just keep using the crutches and or wheelchair. I am getting a headache so I am making this reply short. I am sorry about ur eyes I know what ur going though. I just keep getting the same answer, "Nothing we can do for you" I don't know if I want other foot doctor, only because he is the only doctor that pushed me to found out what is wrong with me. Don't take a no keep going. I need morphine drip, this pain is unbearable and the pain killers are not working :-(
    Liz