Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: If plaquenil or immunosuppression makes your ANA negative or affects other blood work

Thanks

I don't understand why rheumatologists would not want to treat you. They are losing a patient and losing out on money. What would be the purpose in that, except maybe they don't like the type of insurance you carry, and even if that was the case, why wouldn't they just drop it from their practice?

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by maryalice40 View Post
    I don't understand why rheumatologists would not want to treat you. They are losing a patient and losing out on money. What would be the purpose in that, except maybe they don't like the type of insurance you carry, and even if that was the case, why wouldn't they just drop it from their practice?
    Those are some good questions for which I've never found the answers. Like you, I just don't get it when it comes to the ignorance and apathy of so many rheumo's.

Thanks

I think I need to just quit stressing myself out over all of these questions I don't have answers for. The way I see it, if Imuran works for me, then the autoimmune disease is there. Right now I'm just taking plaquenil, I thought I would get that back in my system first, and then the other. But plaquenil is like the devil. I don't know why I responded so well before, but I've been taking it for 6 days, and the last two days, I haven't been able to drag myself out of bed for more than an hour total, so the side effects are kind of nasty. Can it get better with time or should I just give up on that medication completely?

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,211 Posts

Hi maryalice,

Plaquenil takes at least 3 or 4 months to start working. Until that time you will still flare and feel bad just like you would without taking it
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

Thanks

I agree with Mari my doctor told me it take 2 months. I still feel like crap but its not the meds its the lupus.
    Hugs
    Liz

Thanks

I dont know if it is the same overseas... but in Australia most rheumatologists treat elderly patients for RA day in day out. They barely know lupus and would rarely see a patient. GPs are even worse over here. When I first moved to Mackay, the only GP available had never heard of lupus or my daughters conditions (SOD/ONH). Infact, he did not believe me and pretty much laughed. I pointed to my daughters blind eye and his laughing stopped pretty quick smart. Pulled out the plaquenil bottle I had just finished. Over paid bullies half of them!

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,211 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by giggle View Post
    I dont know if it is the same overseas... but in Australia most rheumatologists treat elderly patients for RA day in day out. They barely know lupus and would rarely see a patient. GPs are even worse over here. When I first moved to Mackay, the only GP available had never heard of lupus or my daughters conditions (SOD/ONH). Infact, he did not believe me and pretty much laughed. I pointed to my daughters blind eye and his laughing stopped pretty quick smart. Pulled out the plaquenil bottle I had just finished. Over paid bullies half of them!
    LOVED the line "over paid bullies half of them"! Too true! I was thinking Monday after my doctors appointment how lucky I am. After going to "bully after bully" for way too long I now have a wonderful doctor. When he walked in the room on Monday he said "I am worried about you". I asked why and he said "because I can't fix you". It was so nice not to feel like I was having to fight every moment and at every appointment! I am really only telling this story because most know that I rant about "firing your doctor if he doesn't listen to you". I learned that here and I fired many that didn't listen or didn't care! It was frustrating and heartbreaking but eventually I found one that did listen and did care. I found one that actually felt bad that he "couldn't fix me".

Stand up for yourself and don't give up! They are out there but they are really hard to find
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,631 Times in 1,118 Posts

mari, it is good to see you have a happy relationship with your doctor.
    i too have a caring doctor. they are too few.
    you would think if someone wants to spend 6 years or so in school training, they would care!!
    but unfortunately too many seam to have lost that ability.

anyway, good to see a happy mari.

Thanks

I got better after a good dose of some pain medications last night but I still don't trust that plaquenil, if I take it again today and feel deathly sick, I may have to reconsider using it.

Well I'm giving up with rheumatologists. Snotty additudes is not what I need. I need someone willing to help me get better, not throw me out the door after the 2nd visit and tell me it's all in my head. I get enough of that from my family and my kids friends, why would I need it from a doctor?

Just like the other day, I commented how sick I was. I was asked if I ever got bed sores. Really funny. Hahaha. It's such a joke that someone has to live without any energy and in pain every day.

I bet they'd tell a blind person if they'd just get it out of their head that they are blind, they would probably start getting their vision back.

Don't know about you all, but this is one girl that is tired of all the crap.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,631 Times in 1,118 Posts

many of us are "tired of the crap".
    that is why we need this place.
    our family here is our saving grace.

remember that plaquenil takes time to build up in your body.
    being "sick", when you first start plaquenil, is not the drug, it is the desease.
    when i was first taking it, i was also on panafcortelone.
    this was then slowely tappered out.
    please give plaquenil time to take effect.
    don't go off of it, without seeing a doctor.