Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: If plaquenil or immunosuppression makes your ANA negative or affects other blood work

Thanks

Default If plaquenil or immunosuppression makes your ANA negative or affects other blood work

If an ANA was a false positive, why would it show it's responsive to treatment and raise without treatment?
    Last edited by merryalliss30; 06-05-2011 at 01:45 PM.

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,742 Times in 1,211 Posts

Hi MaryAlice,

Yes, taking the medications can change your blood levels and make the ANA positive or lower/reverse counts of other blood tests. For that reason it must be made clear that there is NO single test for Lupus. Our bloodwork changes depending on medications, how we are feeling and if we are or are not in a flare. Once the ANA has been positive you don't disregard it because it goes negative you add it to the list of symptoms.

Because there is no single test for lupus it takes a cumulative track to get a diagnosis. This means that You have a positive ANA and it goes on the list. If it goes away you don't take it off the list. If today you have a malar rash you put it on the list along with the ANA. If it goes away you still leave it on the list. As these things add up you get a Lupus diagnosis (if done properly). Many doctors don't believe in taking the ANA test again after having a positive one simply because it doesn't matter anymore.

The sad part is that too many medical professionals themselves don't understand how to diagnose Lupus so too many of us suffering pay the price.

Hope this helps!
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

Thanks

Well I'm tired of the frustration of this diagnosis. I don't want to see another rhematologist again.

Thanks

I really know how you feel and so many member's on here waiting for their final outcome and results.

i know your flustrated and don't want to see another rheumo but it's no good seeing someone who to me does'nt seem to have a clue. Rheumo doctor's can be hard work to say the least, they've trained in the field but it's all down to getting someone who is open and does know what they're on about.

I do wish you the best of Luck and i know it's hard but feeling this way your symptoms will show more being down.

Thanks

I am one who had a positive ANA and then my first rheumatologist ran another one and even said, "I know it will be negative" and it was so she completely blew me off. Fortunately my new rheumatologist didn't and I have started treatment. Thank goodness she paid attention.
    Melanie

6. The Following User Says Thank You to mdawncooper For This Useful Post:

tgal (05-07-2011)

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,742 Times in 1,211 Posts

You hit the nail on the head Melanie! It all depends on us finding a doctor that REALLY understand how this disease works! Glad you have one now!
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

Thanks

I had three positive ANA's within a six month period. Two years later, while on Plaquenil and Imuran, I had a repeat ANA which was negative. My rheumy said that that doesn't mean I don't have SLE or Sjogren's, it just means the meds are working.and that the ANA is known the fluctuate.

Unfortunately, the didn't run the full gamut of tests so I couldn't do a full comparison.

Thanks

My rhematologist said these medications aren't going to stop helping you if you have an autoimmune disease. When I told her at my 2nd appt that plaquenil didn't stop working, that it was just my fatigue that returned, she blowed that off. She treated me like my symptoms meant nothing and that this was all in my head and if I could talk my mind into it, I could do the things that I want to. She was not open minded, nor was having me to return again unless I just felt like I need to, and I wouldn't even dare. If I was dying, and she was the only doctor that could save me, I would say no thank you.

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

I'm no rheumo, I'm just your average joe schmo, yet I understand that ANA results are a VARIABLE that can constantly change and fluctuate whether one is on immunosupressant drugs or not. I wonder why there are so many rheumotologists out there who fail to grasp this rather simple concept. These are not stupid people, so it has to be a product of willful ignorance fueled by ego. If a diabetic gets their blood sugar level/numbers back into the normal range through meds and lifestyle change, does that mean that they suddenly no longer are a diabetic? Not hardly. Many of these so-called "professionals" are just a frakking joke.

Minor rant over, carry on.

Rob
    Last edited by rob; 05-07-2011 at 11:18 PM.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rob For This Useful Post:

Peridot20_Gem (05-08-2011), tgal (05-07-2011)

Thanks

Well this rhematologist told me that your ANA and autoantibodies are completely meaningless, but it is part of the Lupus criteria, so why should it be blown off as absolutely nothing. That rhematologist was nothing more than a stupid hag!!!

You may be an average joe schmo, but your intelligence is much higher than alot of these doctors... Thanks for that post. I wish I could of had you at my appt and let you tell her a thing or two. LOL. I just kept my mouth shut, I could have said plenty, but my opinion, she wasn't worth the stress nor worth my time.