Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New drug for Lupus

Thanks

Exclamation New drug for Lupus

Benlysta is the first new drug approved for Lupus in 50 years. Itís not for everyone with Lupus, but for those who can benefit, thatís awesome! Benlysta signifies progress. We hear all the time about new advances in joint replacement, heart disease or erectile dysfunction. However, it is rare that you hear of autoimmune progress. The arrival of Benlysta on the market shows that, even slowly, progress is being made.

Benlysta gives me hope. Itís shows me that someone, somewhere is thinking about what can be done for Lupus. They may find more uses for Benlysta as more is discovered about autoimmune diseases. Benlysta shows that something is changing.

I may never benefit from Benlysta, but Iím glad to see it here. Who knows what the next development might be?
    Article written by Staff Writer, Agnes Reis with ButYouDon'tLookSick.com
    I fight like a girl against any illness that invades my body. www.fightlikeagirl.com

Thanks

Well i've checked this new drug out and i don't think i'd like to try it, as it seems it's got a long way to go before being trustworthy to Lupus patients, with what we suffer already.

Added info on Benlysta

March 9, 2011 -- The FDA has approved Benlysta, the first new lupus treatment in 50 years.

An FDA advisory panel last November voted 13-2 in favor of approval. But the panel noted that Benlysta is no wonder drug. Overall, it offered a modest benefit. Only 30% of patients who took the drug in clinical trials saw a benefit.

And because the drug weakens the body's immune defenses, it comes with serious side effects. These include infections, cancers, depression, and suicide.

But the announcement comes as welcome news to patients and doctors frustrated by the limited treatment options available to lupus patients. And it comes even as scientists gain a new understanding of what lupus is, what goes wrong, and where researchers should look for new treatments.

What should lupus patients and their families know about Benlysta? WebMD consulted Eric L. Greidinger, MD, chief of rheumatism and immunology at the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine, FDA briefing documents, and the FDA approval announcement.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Peridot20_Gem For This Useful Post:

Twinmama (05-10-2011), Txredhead (05-08-2011)

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,742 Times in 1,211 Posts

I absolutely would give it a shot! I know slim is about to start on it and I would be willing to try anything at this point. No drug goes through the panel without opposition and there are several threads on this site where information has been posted about this drug. It is not for everyone but I too am very excited about it!
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

5. The Following User Says Thank You to tgal For This Useful Post:

Txredhead (05-08-2011)

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,127 Posts

as txredhead has said.

it shows advancement in the research.
    this must be a plus for lupus.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to steve.b For This Useful Post:

Txredhead (05-08-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tgal View Post
    I absolutely would give it a shot! I know slim is about to start on it and I would be willing to try anything at this point. No drug goes through the panel without opposition and there are several threads on this site where information has been posted about this drug. It is not for everyone but I too am very excited about it!
    Mari,
    Do you know what put me off the thought of cancer and seeing quite a few in the family die with it but if other's are willing to try it i wish them all the best and that goes for slim.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Peridot20_Gem For This Useful Post:

Txredhead (05-08-2011)

Thanks

Keep us posted tgal. I think it would us all realize the benefits, or the side effects more if we knew someone who was gonna take it!
    I fight like a girl against any illness that invades my body. www.fightlikeagirl.com

Thanks

Peri, TY so much for added additional info!!

Thanks

Hi Terri,

I do have a fear of cancer too. I was my mothers caretaker for a year and I watch her life slip away. It is why I really didn't want to take the MTX because it ups your cancer rate as well. I think the information you shared is wonderful and will allow people to make a much informed decision however for me, If they find that it works in people like myself I would try it. While I don't want cancer I would take the chance in order to have my life back for whatever amount of time.
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

Thanks

Hi Mari,

If they told me tomorrow i had cancer i'd take it in my stride but i know i won't take a drug that could up the risk quicker and it's not just that it's the part mentioning suicide, i've done to much of that in the past and would'nt like to be in that position again but if other's find it a good drug for them fare play at least it's helping them.
    Last edited by Peridot20_Gem; 05-08-2011 at 11:43 PM.

Thanks

Hi Terri,

I understand that completely. It is why I put off taking the MTX because of the cancer risk. Each person has to decide what is right for them. I would do it and you wouldn't. Neither of us is wrong we are simply doing what is right for us
    Mari

~Winston Churchill~