Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Overwhelmed

Thanks

It makes sense to me that you would focus on getting your current work in on time, since you are in school and don't "have an excuse" for it being late. Your mom has a good point about taking in what you HAVE gotten done to show your teachers that you are making the effort. My daughter got into that bind, too - it took every bit of energy she had to keep up, and if she missed classes it was really hard to get caught up AND stay current once she went back.

I know that as a mom there have been times when I wondered if my daughter was really giving it her best shot or if she was depressed/giving up. It's especially hard when doctors don't know what's wrong. When doctors don't know what's wrong and you are a teenage girl having trouble with school they blame your illness on school avoidance, stress, depression, anxiety... I feel bad because sometimes I didn't totally believe that my daughter was as sick as she said she was. Your mom is probably very much on your side, but she's probably also confused, frustrated, scared and feels powerless to help her precious daughter.

I'll be out of touch for a week, but am looking forward to hearing about how this all works out for you, Ritzbit. Take care of yourself.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Gizmo For This Useful Post:

ritzbit (05-06-2011)

Thanks

My last day of high school is in 2 weeks. My last AP test is next week and then I just dont feel like doing anything after that. Im trying but everyone just doesnt get how I feel both physically and emotionally. Im so drained. And feel like I've just been kicked over and over again. My stomachs in KNOTS. Hurts so bad and keep having to run off to the bathroom. I think my recent stress is only making it worse and the medicine my doctor just gave me isn't helping at all. My next therapy appointment isn't until the 16th and I really just need to talk to someone face to face who is actually going to listen. If I didnt have WHL to go to I think I would have made some really bad decisions in the past week. I've been an emotional wreck.... Thanks everyone who's been there for me recently you dont know how much it means to me. I've been about to go off the deep end..
    "A bad cold wouldn't be so annoying if it weren't for the advice of our friends."~ Kin Hubbard

Diagnosed: SLE, Raynauds, InterstitialLung Disease, GERD, Myositis, Vasculitis, Possible Sjogrens.
    Medications: 400mg Plaquenil, 2000mg Cellcept, 10mg Norvasc, Nitroglycerin Patch, 20mg Prilosec, 10mg Flexeril, 4mg Medrol, 81mg Asprin.

Thanks

Though I teach 6th grade kids, I have at times had kids who have problems submitting work for different reasons. This is the advice I give them:

Submit what you have completed - then I can check what has been done and what hasn't been done. We then sit down together and work out what is important and what is not important. I tell the student exactly what needs to be done, each night in order to secure a pass mark. I also draw up a plan in their diary so they can follow it.

I know that it is possibly a bit easier to work with kids in 6th grade because I teach most of their subject, and it is a bit harder for you because you have so many teachers. Make official appointments through the school admin staff to see your teachers, and take someone you trust with you so they can advocate for you when you feel overwhelmed or emotional.

I suppose there are many options you can consider:

1. Complete the minimun of work to get a pass mark in order to graduate
    2. Take the rest of the time off to recover and start over again next semester, graduating later
    3. Speak to your teachers and have a plan to follow, bust your guts to complete everything in time - then have a huge burn out at the end of the due dates
    4. Speak to your teachers and have a plan to follow, take time off and study at home in time to graduate
    5. Postpone going to uni for when you feel better.

There are many ways to graduate. You have to decide whether you want to graduate with your class or with another class. If you want to graduate with your own class, there are things that need to be completed. But it makes things a bit easier to cope with if you have the support of your teachers. It is going to be tough for you over the next few weeks, but you need to make some decisions, and feel good about them. You are just going to make yourself sicker if you stress about it. Try and listen to some of your favourite music if you feel yourself tensing up. Take some time out (even if it is only 3 minutes) just to get yourself together to continue with a difficult task.

This will be an excellent time for you to work on some relaxation techniques, especially if you are considering going to uni.
    Last edited by Linda From Australia; 05-06-2011 at 06:32 PM.
    Diagnosed with Lupus - 22 June, 2010

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Linda From Australia For This Useful Post:

ritzbit (05-06-2011)

Thanks

Two more days until my last AP class and then Im dont more or less. Wish me luck!
    "A bad cold wouldn't be so annoying if it weren't for the advice of our friends."~ Kin Hubbard

Diagnosed: SLE, Raynauds, InterstitialLung Disease, GERD, Myositis, Vasculitis, Possible Sjogrens.
    Medications: 400mg Plaquenil, 2000mg Cellcept, 10mg Norvasc, Nitroglycerin Patch, 20mg Prilosec, 10mg Flexeril, 4mg Medrol, 81mg Asprin.

Thanks

Just got back in town. How did things go with your classes and AP tests?

Thanks

As good as can be expected. I got most of my stuff turned in so Im hoping that Im at least passing now. If not I've decided that I dont really care because I actually have all the credits I need to graduate and they said that as long as my grades in my classes all year average out to C's, which I would hope they would, then I would still get the diploma I've been working for. All my tests are over now and my last day of school is the 26th. Only 7 more school days left. Thank god.

Thanks

That is WONDERFUL news! Congratulations!!! Will you walk at graduation? I hope you celebrate your incredible achievement. My daughter could walk at graduation next week, but we thought she would be in college this semester, so we didn't pre-purchase the cap and gown and everything. We just went to her sister's college graduation on Saturday. Her sister graduated magna cum laude, with honors and got a Fulbright scholarship to study in Germany for a year. It was really hard to see the difference disease made in my 2 daughter's lives. One got awards and honors out the wazoo and the other never even got to walk at her high school graduation.
    My point is that you should really enjoy this sweet victory. It was hard-won and not everyone has the opportunity to do it. I am SO sorry that my daughter isn't going through the ceremony.