Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what do WE do in summer??

Thanks

Cool what do WE do in summer??

Hello friends,
    this is gonna be my first summer with Lupus. what do we do in summer? the sun has been in and out now(mostly hiding which was good for me). but when the sun comes out for the summer, what do we do? does the heat affect you guys? or just the sun light itself? I noticed it affects me quite a bit,(pain and fatigue) but don't know how much YET.

pls tell me your input.
    Thanks =)

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,617 Times in 1,107 Posts

hi twinmama, in australia, we are renown for our loverly sunny weather.
    for me, i cannot stay out in the sun. i need to cover my body. i use a hat, long sleeves and sunscreen.
    when the heat gets too much, i sweat more than usual, (or other people). i also become fatigued quickly.

this sun effect made me change jobs. (i have deteriated now to a point i am on the disability pension).

remember that ultra violet rays are not blocked by clouds. the heat may be less, but the uv rays are still there.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to steve.b For This Useful Post:

Twinmama (05-03-2011)

Thanks

Hi Twinmama,

Be very careful with the heat it's been hot here in it's 70s and 80s and i've gone out for just 10mins only in the shade but the heat still heats up my skin and burns it, already it's caused my face to form blister's, i've got my arms covered in small blister's which turn to scab's on their own without scratching, i've got a larger rash on my legs and this morning saw the first rash that triggered off 4yrs ago it's identical to ringworm but not pronounced and it's down to my psoriasis but the heat as helped it along, roll on thursday i say for my appointment to see my dermo and hopefully start on steroid based creams again.
    I suggest covering yourself with 50 block if you need to go outside, cover yourself up as much as you can, wear sunglasses as the light can affect your eyes and also an hat if possible, as heats the worst thing for the skin and keep to as much shade as possible and if your skin starts to feel irritated get inside as the rays are affecting your skin.
    As out breaks to the skin are'nt pleasant and can be so sore and irritable besides wanting to make you scratch.

All the best Terri xxx
    Last edited by Peridot20_Gem; 05-03-2011 at 09:57 AM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Peridot20_Gem For This Useful Post:

Twinmama (05-03-2011)

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,211 Posts

Hi Twin Mama,

Some people do fine in the heat and or sun but I am not one of them. I am one of the ones that can't handle the sun nor the heat. The head actually bothers me even more then the winter weather. Of course I live in Houston which means we will be in the 90's plus for several months. My family has a trip planned for June and most of them are going to be playing in the water all day and getting sun burned but we made sure that there is a place with shade where we are going (a water park resort). I will spend the day in the shade or inside but once the evening comes I will be able to go swim and enjoy the outside.

Summers will be different for you but will find new ways to enjoy it
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

7. The Following User Says Thank You to tgal For This Useful Post:

Twinmama (05-03-2011)

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

Great subject,

I cannot tolerate heat that's much over 75f, or any amount of UV rays, as both will induce a flare. I live far enough north that it rarely gets above 70f, and the UV intensity in the Gulf of Maine is very low because of our location. But, I still have to pour on the sunblock, wear my boonie hat, and cover my arms usually with a lightweight long sleeved shirt. I enjoy sailing and kayaking in the warm months. But, I noticed that being out on either a lake or on the ocean can intensify the UV radiation in that the water reflects the rays upward, so you have to protect the undersides of your body, like under your chin and under your earlobes with plenty of sunblock. The same goes in the winter if you are into things like skiing or snowshoeing, as the snow, like the water, acts as a mirror.

I don't let the sun stop me from doing what I want to do, but I am very cautious, and very careful to always use sunblock, sleeves, and my trusty boonie hat.

Rob
    Last edited by rob; 05-03-2011 at 06:38 PM.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rob For This Useful Post:

tgal (05-03-2011), Twinmama (05-03-2011)

Thanks

thanks for you reply's . I used to love the sun, I even moved to California because of it. Now I don't know where I'm gonna spend my (late)honeymoon or if we'll go for a family vacation to Mexico ever again

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Twinmama View Post
    thanks for you reply's . I used to love the sun, I even moved to California because of it. Now I don't know where I'm gonna spend my (late)honeymoon or if we'll go for a family vacation to Mexico ever again
    Mexico is nice, but there are a bunch of other destinations that are just as much, and possibly even more beautiful, and fun. Places without the incredibly intense sunlight of destinations near the Equator. One great alternative would be the region that consists of the Gulf of Maine, the Bay of Fundy, and the Maritime Provinces. The area both inland, and on the ocean, is stunningly beautiful. There are some major cruise lines that have regular trips here. Another option could be the inland passage of Alaska.

You can still have a great memory and trip despite Lupus.

Rob

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rob View Post
    Mexico is nice, but there are a bunch of other destinations that are just as much, and possibly even more beautiful, and fun. Places without the incredibly intense sunlight of destinations near the Equator. One great alternative would be the region that consists of the Gulf of Maine, the Bay of Fundy, and the Maritime Provinces. The area both inland, and on the ocean, is stunningly beautiful. There are some major cruise lines that have regular trips here. Another option could be the inland passage of Alaska.

You can still have a great memory and trip despite Lupus.

Rob
    Thank you Rob. You're absolutely right. I have been to lot's of sun destination in my lifetime. the maritimes sounds like something we could do soon! also I've never been to NY since |I moved to the east coast.
    It's just the fact that my kids want to be outside ALL the time when the sun comes out.by the water, park etc. just need a sitter for everyday

Thanks

Hi Twinmama,
    I used to live in South Texas, as Mari does. San Antonio often has 60 or more days in a year with temps over 100. I didn't realize just how much it was affecting me until I got out of there. I now live in Northern California, on the beautiful Monterey Bay. The weather here is much like what Rob described in his part of Maine. People here complain if the temp goes over 70. I feel so much better here! I can go out for a short walk on the beach during the day and be just fine.
    We will have to move back to SA in 2012 (military move) and I really dread it.
    No matter what the temp is, always wear sunblock. I find it easiest to buy a daily moisturizer that is SPF 30 and top it with my make-up, which is also SPF 30. I'm in the habit of putting on this combination any time I go out, and I haven't had a sunburn since I started doing it.
    Hugs,
    Marla

14. The Following User Says Thank You to magistramarla For This Useful Post:

Twinmama (05-05-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Twinmama View Post
    Hi Twinmama,

Robs correct in what he's saying so try places he's mentioned and if you need a baby sitter for the kids then do it mate to save you suffering.

How you love the heat, i used to be like it plus had a sunbed but as soon as the heat kicked off my skin, the sunbed went and i'm mainly in doors alot now.