Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fluid retention frustration.

Thanks

Default Fluid retention frustration.

Now I have Lupus Nephritis. It can cause fluid retention due to the leaking of protein from the urine. Steroids obviously causes fluid retention also. Last time out when I stabalized which involved getting down to 5mg and protein leakage being in normal range I was no longer holding fluid in my face and body. The situation that im in currently really frustrates me, for I am in the same case now which is being back on 5mg and protein leakage is in normal range, however I am still holding a decent amount of fluid. It really knocks your self esteem when your face holds fluid and not only do you not look like yourself, but to be perfectly harsh, quite unatractive. Your eyes narrow and puff, your face rounds and whole body is just way larger. When I was on 75mg steroids for a year and got back to 5mg last year, my weight got back to normal range of 78 kilos. Now im not sure if my body just needs more time, seeing ive only been on 5mg for 5 weeks, or the fact that I stopped taking Frusemide (lasix) and now my body is trying to re adjust to urinating on its own, however I went 3 weeks without taking lasix and my doc thinks that should be enough time for my body to have readjusted. Its very frustrating especially being 19 years old. I dont want to have to take Frusemide my whole life just to control water weight, however if thats the only thing that I can see helping the situation then im going to have to keep taking it!

Any good advice at all ladies and gentlemen? Sorry for the huge ramble, but I am sure there is an understanding of how I feel especially being young.

Thanks

Hi and ramble all you want that's what we're here for to help one another.

Years back i was on a steroid 250mg every 2wks and i went from 7 1/2st to 18st and i bloated out and all that progressed on me in 3yrs and when i was took off it with other meds, i was told it would take the same amount of time for my weight to reduce within 6mths i was down to 9st

Try and bare with it as you've only gone 5wks and i do actually know how you feel because i was 18 when put on the steroid and by 21 i was at 18st.

I don't know if they have this water tablet in australia but here in the UK it's called WATERFALL from the herbal shop and i was thinking if you took it, it may help you also. You take a tablet for roughly 4-5 days before a period, which i did and my god i lived on the toilet but it was the best thing i found for removing fluid.

I do wish you all the best plus know how you feel. Terri xxx
    Last edited by Peridot20_Gem; 05-03-2011 at 09:48 AM.

Thanks

Thanks a million for responding to me Terri! Thats good to know that you just had to wait abit for the body to sort itself out. I was pretty sure that would be the case in my situation as well, You should also know that I am a "male" so I dont get periods! haha but the majority of people with lupus are females so I understand how you thought I was a female haha. I wonder if the waterfall drug is the same as Frusemide here in Aussie? But thanks a ton! for replying and I hope you all the very best for any health issues. (preferably no health issues, but you get me)

Thanks

Oh i am sorry mate.lol you came over as if you was a female but after being on steriods in the past with some people they can gain weight if their hormones work that way and for us it seems that way. A good 80% of women have Lupus and i get what you mean about health issues and they can be a pain.
    It's all about baring with it mate and it can be very flustrating because i felt terrible carrying all that weight after being thin all my life, i'm just glad i've kept that way since.

I'll add some info below for you regarding furosemide, i've looked up waterfall for men to take and it's mainly for a man to take if they have cystitis as waterfall flushes it out the system but i'll still had info below of what it does for a woman in general as it may help other female member's who need to remove water retention.
    Last edited by Peridot20_Gem; 05-04-2011 at 02:39 PM.

Thanks

INFO ON FUROSEMIDE

How does it work?
    Lasix injection contains the active ingredient furosemide (previously known as frusemide in the UK), which is a type of medicine called a loop diuretic. (NB. Furosemide is also available without a brand name, ie as the generic medicine.)

Diuretics are sometimes referred to as ‘water tablets’. They remove excess fluid from the body by increasing the production of urine.

Loop diuretics work by causing the kidneys to increase the amount of salts such as potassium and sodium that are filtered out of the blood and into the urine. When these salts are filtered out of the blood by the kidneys, water is also drawn alongside. As diuretics increase the removal of salts from the blood, they also cause more water to be drawn out of the blood and into the urine.

Furosemide is used to treat conditions where excess fluid has been retained in the body (oedema). For example, in heart failure, the pumping mechanism of the heart is less effective. This can cause fluid to build up in the ankles and the lungs (pulmonary oedema), which makes it difficult to breathe. Furosemide helps the body to remove this excess fluid. Removing fluid from the blood vessels also decreases the pressure within the blood vessels. This makes it easier for a weak heart to pump blood around the body. Furosemide is therefore used to relieve the symptoms of heart failure.

Furosemide is also used to remove excess fluid that can accumulate in people with cirrhosis of the liver. This fluid may accumulate in the abdomen (ascites) or in the legs (peripheral oedema).

At higher doses the amount of water drawn from the blood into the urine is much greater, therefore furosemide is also used when there is reduced production of urine in people with kidney failure.

Furosemide is given by injection in emergencies, when a rapid effect is required, and in cases when the medicine cannot be taken by mouth.
    Last edited by Peridot20_Gem; 05-04-2011 at 05:33 AM.

Thanks

WATERFALL FOR REMOVING FLUID RETENTION IN WOMEN

How Water Retention Starts

If you regularly suffer from bloating, it's very likely that your intestines get a bit inflamed from time to time. This makes them prone to allow partly-digested particles to pass through their walls into your blood. When your intestines are healthy, only pure nutrients are allowed through, but inflammation weakens them. Inflammation in the intestines is common and can be caused by too many of the wrong bacteria, by consuming something that irritates you, or by not digesting your food very well.

As the partly-digested particles travel around your body, they eventually settle in your 'tissue spaces'. The tissue spaces are found surrounding each of your body's cells. They are not made of empty space, but are filled with a gel-like substance that allows nutrients and oxygen to feed your cells. (Tissues is just a word used to describe the fabric of your body, e.g. muscle tissue, lung tissue, brain tissue.)

Particles of partly digested food are not particularly welcome in your body's tissue spaces. So the body stimulates your immune system to get special white cells into the area, to gobble up the 'sediment'. The immune system can only do this by increasing the amount of water in the tissue spaces so that the white cells (known as macrophages) can swim into position. If the sediment keeps increasing and the macrophages can't cope with it, then as the years go by the tissue spaces will slowly expand with more sediment and more water. Eventually you may realize that you are suffering from water retention.

Water Retention And Overweight

Of course, not everyone does realize. Water retention gained in this way can look very much like fat. The main difference is that you can lose fat with a fat-loss diet and plenty of exercise. But that won't work for water weight. You might manage to lose a few pounds, but people with water retention usually hit a plateau that they just can't overcome. People over 45 years of age are especially affected by this problem, and often find it much harder to lose weight than they did when they were younger. The fact is that the older we get, the less efficient our bodies get at dealing with the wastes and debris that escape from our digestive system into our blood. So the more water tends to collect in our tissues.

Water Retention Treatments

There are medical reasons for some types of water retention, so if you have this problem, do get checked out by a doctor first. If you have no underlying illness then don't let your doctor prescribe diuretic medicines (water pills) and don't take them yourself, not even herbal ones. For 'idiopathic edema' (the technical name for this type of water retention) they will do nothing for you except dehydrate your blood and overwork your kidneys. Dehydrating your blood is not the answer, since the excess water is not in your blood but in your tissues. If you take water pills you will only teach your body to hold on to water as much as possible, as it must avoid dehydration at all costs. Many people have become addicted to water pills by taking them for the wrong reasons. They find they have to take more and more to get any result at all, and become very swollen all over as soon as the last dose wears off.

Treating Water Retention Naturally

The only treatment that is likely to work for idiopathic edema is a diet called the Waterfall Diet, because it was designed to target this problem. It is called the Waterfall Diet simply because when you lose water retention you pee a lot. The diet is designed to correct up to seven causes of water retention: reduce inflammation, get rid of bloating, help your immune system break down the 'sediment', help to strengthen the smallest blood vessels so that they are not so leaky, and so on. It requires a bit of work, and you have to carry out a test on yourself too, which is described in the book. But some people have been fortunate enough to lose 10 pounds or more of water weight within 1-2 weeks.

That's the best thing about water weight. Unlike fat, you can lose a few pounds of excess water retention overnight. And if you know what you're doing, that water will not come back.

Thanks

Thanks heaps Terri, thats all very handy information on both drugs. And I understand what you mean when you had to carry around alot of extra weight after being thin all your life, which is the same boat as me....I was always playing sport and eating well and never had an ounce of fat on me. Then Prednisolone/Lupus nephritis decided to do their thing. And I see you are from the UK, im planning on visiting England sometime to see my beloved Newcastle United in the North East. Me coming from Australia makes that a bloody long fly though!

Thanks

Your welcome mate if the info helps.
    Like yourself i can't carry weight no more, i've been at 18st, then went to 9st and through altering of drugs back to 15st my poor (mellons) lol never knew where they was with my weight and then back to being thin and kept that way but i do have an underactive thyroid gland, that does enjoy it's moments of going hypo so i get thinner.lol

Yes i'm from the UK mate and your from Newcastle originally? just love the accent, i have quite a few friends in Aussie besides family, i used to chat to them through skype but got rid of it in the end i noticed it was slowing my pc functioning down.

I do hope your feeling abit better tomorrow i know none of we are'nt 100% but when you hear a member say they feel abit better it's lovely to hear. xxx
    Last edited by Peridot20_Gem; 05-05-2011 at 10:44 AM.

Thanks

Nope I am not from Newcastle or England for that matter haha, born in Australia and have never been out of the country, Just love NUFC, its just a shame that each week we play I have to set my alarm for the middle of the night to see it. Sometimes im lucky and get a midnight match but its usually about 2 or 3 am haha. So you have family down under? aussie blood or just living ere? And cheers for the hoping of me feeling better, which I might be feeling a tad betterISH, but I stayed at a mates last night and didnt get the required sleep as you can imagine.

Take care Terri.

Thanks

Oh the way you spoke i thought you was from newcastle another mistake on the list.lol
    I bet seeing it through the night though is annoying to you, when you need your rest because that's the most vital thing you need.

I have family that move there and proper Aussie blood and alot of my family moved to salt lake city, utah in the 1800-1900s i used to do my family tree like mad up till 4yrs back, i just answer people now if i've got the time or do genealogy report's for them.

It's no good mate not getting your proper sleep, i go straight away with the meds i'm on for other stuff but when i wake i never feel any better for it.

You takecare alo Gordan. x
    Last edited by Peridot20_Gem; 05-06-2011 at 10:37 AM.