Thread: Your thoughts or experience. Not ready to go back to work.

Thanks

Default Your thoughts or experience. Not ready to go back to work.

Hello,

I have been off work since beginning of March and the dr initially put me out until today. I have a follow up appt with him today. I am not ready to go back to work just yet. Believe me I would love to get back into the "normal" world but I still am not feeling well. Have you had this experience and do you think the dr will allow me more time off or do they normally make you go back to work?

Thank you for sharing your experiences,

Brenda

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Our doctor's willingness to provide us with off work orders can vary as greatly as the disease. Your symptoms, lab results, and emotional health/well being should all be taken into consideration when providing you with another off-work order. When you speak to your doctor, make sure that you address all of these issues with him when requesting the off-work order.
    Everyone here completely understands the fact that you truly want to work, but you just know that this illness will not allow you to perform 100%. Many of us have been exactly where you are or are in the midst of it, just like you.
    I wish you the very best and, please, keep us informed.

Peace and Blessings
    Namaste
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,211 Posts

Hi Brenda. I could have written your post a couple of years ago. We completely understand where you are mentally and physically. As Susie said a lot of it will depend on the doctor that you have. She is also correct when she says that you not allow you to perform 100%. Mentally that is one of the hardest things to deal with.

I will keep my fingers crossed for you on your visit today. Please let us know how it goes
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Saysusie View Post
    Our doctor's willingness to provide us with off work orders can vary as greatly as the disease. Your symptoms, lab results, and emotional health/well being should all be taken into consideration when providing you with another off-work order. When you speak to your doctor, make sure that you address all of these issues with him when requesting the off-work order.
    Everyone here completely understands the fact that you truly want to work, but you just know that this illness will not allow you to perform 100%. Many of us have been exactly where you are or are in the midst of it, just like you.
    I wish you the very best and, please, keep us informed.

Peace and Blessings
    Namaste
    Saysusie
    Thank you for your feedback. I have written a list of what has been going on since I last seen him. The worst thing is my memory. I woke up today not knowing the day and had to really think about what went on the past couple of days to remember it was Monday. I was driving the other day and didn't remember where I was going. This on top of the pain is just enough to tell me I am not ready for having to my job and do it well. I have taken a lot of pride in doing my job and I can't even fathom the idea to go back and do it poorly. The reason I came on here was I knew there would be people who have either gone through it or going through it. No better people to ask then those with the experience. So many wonderful and patient people on here.

Thank you and I hope you have a wonderful day,

Brenda

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tgal View Post
    Hi Brenda. I could have written your post a couple of years ago. We completely understand where you are mentally and physically. As Susie said a lot of it will depend on the doctor that you have. She is also correct when she says that you not allow you to perform 100%. Mentally that is one of the hardest things to deal with.

I will keep my fingers crossed for you on your visit today. Please let us know how it goes
    Thank you. I think you nailed it for me, the dr that I have. I think that is why I am so stressed out about the whole thing. Don't get me wrong I think he is more than capable but I just don't have a comfortable relationship with him. Sometimes I feel he is not listening and wants to just ask me questions and me answer those. I have read where people have wonderful drs that take time with them and I am missing that. I am not expecting him to spend the day with me but let me tell what I am feeling. All I can do is try to talk to him today and see what happens. If not I know my primary dr will listen. I have some things going on that if I went back to work I feel I would be a liability. You are right I am having a hard time that I am not mentally 100%. I can deal with the physical part, the mental part is so hard. Thank you for talking with me today. I hope your day is good and I will let you all know what happens.

Thanks

I am back from the dr and luckily I got to see the PA. She was awesome and took her time with me. I am off work for another month for now and they will review it again at that time. I feel so relieved. Thank you for listening to me today and giving your input. This really is a wonderful site to turn to!!! They did a bone density test and I have osteopenia. At least it isn't ostoearthritis yet, I still have hope!!!

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

Hi Bkm,

Your questions and concerns are shared by many others here. In my case, I had to decide whether I should keep on working my dream job, or give up on that dream that had been achieved only after 16 long years of hard work. I had nearly 20 employees, most of whom were some of my best friends and people that I made a promise to years before. I promised these friends and co-workers that if I ever "made it", I would bring as many of them along with me as I could for whoever wanted to take the opportunity. On top of all that, the stakes involved were quite high because I was working in a job and industry that was vital to national defense in those dark days following 9/11.

I reached a point after my Lupus diagnosis, where I had to confront the harsh reality of no longer working, selling the business, and putting in the paperwork for disability benefits. What it really came down to, was the fact that I had become a danger in my own factory, and at the test range. Brain fog and oppressive fatigue are a bad mix when dealing with machinery, firearms, and explosives. My decision to quit was based upon my declining lack of physical and mental abilities. I've now been on full disability for many years, and I know I made the right decision.

What it comes down to for you, as it did for me, is being honest with yourself. You are the only person who can truly know and decide if you are able to continue working or not. You are the only person who knows what your true limits are. No Doctor can make that judgement for you, and whatever your decision, your doctor/rheumo should back you up in that decision.

One thing to remember, is that in my situation, as it is with many people with Lupus, is that I did not give up willingly. I had to stop that part of my life and move on to other paths because I was forced to by un unrelenting ilness that has no cure, and no mercy. I made the right decision, and I am sure after reading your posts here, that you will also make the right choice for yourself.

Rob
    Last edited by rob; 05-02-2011 at 05:32 PM.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rob For This Useful Post:

steve.b (05-02-2011), tgal (05-02-2011)

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I am so happy for you that your doctor listened and gave you more time off. With these dieases we all have to give up things that we could once do so easiely and it is a hard adjustment to realize you cannot do it anymore but life must go on and we compensate with other things. Wishing you luck Bonita