Thread: experimental treatment....have any of you tried this?

Thanks

Default experimental treatment....have any of you tried this?

I've been accepted into an experimental study for lupus. I'll be taking myfortic, prednisone and also having IV chemo called retuximab.

Have any of you tried it and what was your result?

Thanks

Good luck on the study, and i hope you can keep us posted on how it goes for you!

Is this a double blind study - where you're not completely sure if you're getting the med, or is it a trial to see how the med performs?

Wishing you the most fantastic of results~~~

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hi Kiwimitts
    Here is some information that I found out about the medications used in your study:
    Myfortic is one of the generic names for Mycophenolic acid (trade names are Cellcept and Myfortic). This is an immunosuppressant (drugs that decrease the actions of the body's immune system). It is usually combined with cyclosporine (Sandimmune, Neoral) and a steroid medication (such as prednisone). People taking immunosuppressant medicines are at a greater risk of getting infections.
    Treatment with Myfortic may increase your risk of infection and the development of lymphoma and other types of cancer. Notify your doctor immediately if you develop fever or chills, a sore throat, unusual bleeding or bruising, mouth sores, abdominal pain, pale stools, or darkened urine. These symptoms could be early signs of dangerous side effects.

Rituximab is a cancer (antineoplastic) medication (like methotrexate which blocks the metabolism of cells). Rituximab interferes with the growth of cancer cells and slows their growth and spread in the body. In clinical trials, Rituximab was found to significantly deplete B lymphocytes in patients with systemic lupus. According to the researchers, because B cell abnormalities contribute to the pathogenesis (origination and development of a disease) of SLE, depletion of B cells by rituximab may have "lasting clinical benefit." Rituximab is a monoclonal (composed of cells derived from a single cell -monoclonal antibodies) antibody approved for use in certain types of CD20-positive non-Hodgkin's lymphomas. CD20 is primarily expressed on immature and mature B cells but not on plasma cells or T cells; thus, rituximab may be less immunosuppressive than other treatment regimens.

Prednisone is an internal cortisone - it is an oral, synthetic (man-made) corticosteroid used for suppressing the immune system and inflammation.

Best of Luck in your study! You are paving the way for new Lupus treatments - I commend you :lol:

Peace and BLessings
    Saysusie

Thanks

Thank you for the great information. I start chemo on Friday. I'll keep you posted!

Kristie