Thread: Firbomyalgia

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,127 Posts

Default Firbomyalgia

i thought i would share a little of what i have learnt about fibro.

hopefully this will help someone else as much as it helped me to understand what our mind and body goes through.

Fibromyalgia (FM) is a multi-system illness. This illness also produces dramatic manifestations in different organs and systems of the body.
    We are not dealing with a localized ailment; rather, it is our main regulatory system that is not working properly.

The autonomic nervous system (ANS) controls the function of the organs and systems. It is "autonomic" because our mind does not govern its performance. The ANS is the interface between mind and body functions.
    The peripheral autonomic system is divided into two branches; sympathetic and parasympathetic. The ANS represents the ying-yang concept of ancient eastern cultures.
    Sympathetic activation prepares the whole body for fight or flight in response to stress or emergencies; in contrast, parasympathetic tone favours digestive functions and sleep.
    Relentless hyperactivity of the sympathetic nervous system continues 24 hours a day. Characterized as a sympathetic nervous system that is persistently hyperactive but hypo-reactive to stress.

There is ample evidence to sustain the fact that FM pain is real as attested by different studies demonstrating very high levels of the powerful pain-transmitting substance P in the cerebrospinal fluid of patients. This means that the problem lies in the pain-transmitting nerve itself.
    The most widely acknowledged biochemical abnormality is abnormally low serotonin levels.
    The combination of the, high levels of substance P, and low levels of Serotonin, may be the cause of FM

The most common associated conditions include the following:
    Allergy
    Anxiety disorders
    Carpal tunnel syndrome
    Cognitive dysfunction
    Chronic fatigue syndrome
    Depression
    Dysmenorrhoea
    Enthesopathies
    Esophageal dysmotility
    Female urethral syndrome
    Hypermobility syndrome
    Hyperventilation
    Infections
    Interstitial cystitis, vulvodynia
    Irritable bowel syndrome
    Lyme disease
    Mitral valve prolapse
    Multiple chemical sensitivity syndrome
    Myofascial pain syndrome
    Nondermatomal paresthesia
    Ocular disturbances
    Osteoarthritis
    Premenstrual syndrome (PMS)
    Pulmonary symptoms
    Raynaud phenomenon
    Restless legs syndrome
    Rheumatoid arthritis
    Silicone breast implant syndrome
    Sleep disorders
    Sjögren syndrome
    Systemic lupus erythematosus
    Tension/migraine headaches
    Temporomandibular joint syndrome
    Thyroid dysfunction
    Vestibular disorders
    Vulvar vestibulitis
    Vision problems

Every-day activities take longer in fibromyalgia patients, they need more time to get started in the morning and often require extra rest periods during the day. They have difficulty with repetitive sustained motor tasks, unless frequent time-outs are taken. Tasks may be well tolerated for short periods of time, but when carried out for prolonged periods become aggravating factors. Activities such as prolonged sitting or standing and environmental stressors such as coldness, excessive noise and rigid time/performance expectations often aggravate fibromyalgia symptoms. They describe a "window of opportunity" for constructive work that typically extends from about 10 am to 2 p.m.

Recent studies have shown that approximately one-third of patients with lupus also have fibromyalgia. It is important to understand that the fibromyalgia in these patients develops after the lupus has become well established.

In general, lupus patients who are undergoing a flare have findings; such as evidence of true arthritis (usually with joint swelling), skin rashes, sores in their mouth, fever, hair fall or evidence of specific organ disease such as pleurisy or microscopic amounts of blood and protein in the urine. Furthermore, in active lupus, blood tests such as the sedimentation rate often become elevated, the white count (particularly the lymphocyte subset) becomes depressed and there is often an increase in the level of anti-DNA antibodies. None of these findings are a feature of fibromyalgia

Using single photon emission computed tomography (SPECT); researchers in France were able to detect functional abnormalities in certain regions in the brains of patients diagnosed with fibromyalgia, reinforcing the idea that symptoms of the disorder are related to a dysfunction in those parts of the brain where pain is processed.
    The researchers confirmed that patients with the syndrome exhibited brain perfusion abnormalities in comparison to the healthy subjects. Further, these abnormalities were found to be directly correlated with the severity of the disease. An increase in perfusion (hyperperfusion) was found in that region of the brain known to discriminate pain intensity, and a decrease (hypoperfusion) was found within those areas thought to be involved in emotional responses to pain.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to steve.b For This Useful Post:

panda_lupo (05-04-2011), rob (04-28-2011), SandyR (04-28-2011), tgal (04-28-2011), ~LUVMYFLOWERS~ (04-28-2011)

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,742 Times in 1,211 Posts

Wonderful Thread Steve! I find it interesting that you say that Fibro develops after Lupus because everything I have read says the opposite. I have read, and heard from my daughters doctor, that there is more and more evidence that Fibro may simply be another AI disease of its own. Whatever it is I believe it is important that we as a society, and our doctors, begin to understand that Fibro is a real disease/disorder and more needs to be learned about it.

Thanks for the great information that you found. It is always nice to learn about other theories being tossed around the medical community!
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by steve.bryce View Post
    The most common associated conditions include the following:
    Allergy
    Anxiety disorders
    Carpal tunnel syndrome
    Cognitive dysfunction
    Chronic fatigue syndrome
    Depression
    Dysmenorrhoea
    Enthesopathies
    Esophageal dysmotility
    Female urethral syndrome
    Hypermobility syndrome
    Hyperventilation
    Infections
    Interstitial cystitis, vulvodynia
    Irritable bowel syndrome
    Lyme disease
    Mitral valve prolapse
    Multiple chemical sensitivity syndrome
    Myofascial pain syndrome
    Nondermatomal paresthesia
    Ocular disturbances
    Osteoarthritis
    Premenstrual syndrome (PMS)
    Pulmonary symptoms Raynaud phenomenon
    Restless legs syndrome
    Rheumatoid arthritis
    Silicone breast implant syndrome
    Sleep disorders
    Sjögren syndrome
    Systemic lupus erythematosus
    Tension/migraine headaches
    Temporomandibular joint syndrome
    Thyroid dysfunctionVestibular disorders
    Vulvar vestibulitis
    Vision problems
    Intersting...all the purples I have, had or have been suspected of having...
    As long as this body works, I am going to enjoy life to the fullest for each second of every moment that I can.