Thread: Starting plaquenil tomorrow

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Default Starting plaquenil tomorrow

So I'm going to start taking plaquenil tomorrow is if theres any side effects I'll have the weekend to recovery (hopefully there will be none).
    I was given the generic brand hydroxychlor 200mg 2x daily. Is there a difference in brand name to generic with this drug?? I have to call my rheumy tomorrow I thought I would take this pill 1time daily.
    In conversation my coworker was suggesting I try homeopathic treatment and try to avoid taking all these drugs.
    I would like to here from you all who might have tried these alternative treatments.
    I was also told about Kangen Water helps with many illness.....has anyone heard of this.
    Bertie

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,211 Posts

Hi Gringa,

First of all I welcome you to WHL. I would love to tell you that there are natural ways to help get rid of Lupus but there are not any. As Rob so perfectly calls them, there are "snake oil salesmen" that try to push things but nothing works and they can even be dangerous. Below you will find a link to a thread started by our wonderful Founder, Saysusie, about what can happen when we try the natural path. Believe me, there is not a soul here that would not jump on the boat of something less harmful if it really could make us well.

Plaquenil takes many months to really work. I know you will hear some stories about how horrible it is but there are many of us that had no trouble with it. Many of the meds we take have side effects that go away after a short period of time and others just don't work for an individual person. It is a trial and error although the starting point is almost always plaquenil and/or predisone

Once again I welcome you to WHL and I wish you nothing but the best as you travel this journey. You are now part of our family and we look forward to getting to know you

http://forum.wehavelupus.com/showthr...anned-From-WHL
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

3. The Following User Says Thank You to tgal For This Useful Post:

Saysusie (04-29-2011)

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,617 Times in 1,107 Posts

i use plaquenil, and swear by it.
    for me it is the best.
    unfortunately not everyone has the same story.
    some have bad side effects, some cannot take it.

there is a few threads about this drug.
    they are worth reading.

generic medicines are made of the same concentrations as the name drugs.
    they do not pay royalty to the inventor. so they are cheaper.
    there is strong guidelines about the safety of these generic drugs.
    they are usually made in another country (like india), where they are cheaper to produce.

i use lots of them, but not always.
    i speak to my primary care giver, before deciding. he is a wise man and checks his doctors books for me.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to steve.b For This Useful Post:

Saysusie (04-29-2011)

Thanks

Hi Gringa,
    I've taken Plaquenil (generic form) for two years now, and it really helps with rashes, joint pain and fatigue.
    I only take one pill per day, but many of those who take two take one in the morning and one at night.
    I had a few gastrointestinal problems with it at first, but my body got used to it and it doesn't bother me at all now.
    It gave me the trots when I first took it, and that was no fun at all when I was still teaching!

I agree with Tgal - be careful about the "snake oils". Some supplements are good for us, like Omega 3, vitamin D and folates. A lot of the other stuff is just somebody trying to take advantage and make money off of our illnesses.
    Hugs,
    Marla

Thanks

Hi Bertie,

I was put on plaquenil don't know what form it was but you won't feel the effects that quick, it was about 5wks before i felt any side affects, i'm withdrawing of it slowly as it did'nt suite me regarding the side affects but it works excellent for some people, so i would advise giving it a try.

All the best Terri x

Thanks

Bertie if you were diabetic, you know the ones who need injections 3 times a day. Would you just make sure you eat the right things insted of having your injections? Well because of the wonderful progress in science, people diagnosed with Lupus today have a higher chance of living. If you were diagnosed over 50 years ago, you would most likely die within 5 years of diagnosis.

Now I would think that was an excellent reason for taking the medication. Is this co-worker a doctor? Probably not. If I were you tell this person to do some research into Lupus. I do recommend you to take a serious look at your lifestyle and make some changes to improve your chances of fighting this disease.
    Diagnosed with Lupus - 22 June, 2010

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Linda From Australia For This Useful Post:

Saysusie (04-29-2011), tgal (04-28-2011)

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Thank you all, I did start my plaquenil today. it was a really busy day today and my feet, knees, hands and back are killing me.
    I'm finding out it's true,people who don't know lupus really don't know what we go through. I've been told you look to good, and you don't complain about it.
    Bertie

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,211 Posts

There is a story called "The Spoon Theory" that many of us use to try and explain how we feel to those close to us. It doesn't work for everyone but I wanted to share it with you.

http://www.butyoudontlooksick.com/ar...e-miserandino/
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gringa1 View Post
    Thank you all, I did start my plaquenil today. it was a really busy day today and my feet, knees, hands and back are killing me.
    I'm finding out it's true,people who don't know lupus really don't know what we go through. I've been told you look to good, and you don't complain about it.
    Bertie
    Hi Bertie,

I am pleased you've started the plaquenil and i really hope it works for you and eases what your suffering and i hope your day will be less pain free.

Please don't mention people who think we look brilliant it drives me mad, they need to have it before they'll ever understand.

Terri xxx