Thread: the frustration of dealing with the uneducated

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Default the frustration of dealing with the uneducated

I was "officially" diagnosed with lupus last month. This after living 15 years with what I thought was rheumatoid arthritis. I miss ra. Seriously, I knew what I was dealing with but lupus is a whole new ballgame and the bs I get from people is ridiculous. I wasn't a whiner when I thought it was ra and I'm not one now. What I am, is someone who, after raising her kids and getting them out on her own, is FINALLY taking proper care of herself. This means practicing the word "NO". Taking time for MYSELF (what a concept). Not denying that I'm sick anymore. God Bless the family and friends who truly love me and are there for me. God help me survive the rest of them. The ones who say things like: "hmm, interesting you get diagnosed with lupus and suddenly you have all those symptoms". Or "lupus isn't that bad, it's not like it will kill you". How about "so you get Lupus and decide not to look for another job?" ( I was suddenly fired last year for reasons unrelated to the illness and totally incorrect). One of my favorites: "lucky you, get to do whatever you want whenever you want and sleep all you want" Now THERE'S a fantasy.
    Those people fall into the category of "hard to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person". I don't even bother to try. I just shake my head a walk away. Too much energy wasted otherwise.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to ruziska For This Useful Post:

SandyR (04-27-2011)

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,631 Times in 1,118 Posts

it is hard to fly like an eagle.............
    when you are living with a bunch of turkeys.

Thanks

My brother's wife (I have another name for her) had the audacity to say I was making myself sick. How, prey tell, does one make themselves sick with SLE? Yes, there is Munchausen's, however, positive ANAs and such cannot be faked. I know the truth and so do my doctors.

I have nothing to prove to that douche bag, or anybody else, and I don't waste my energy worrying about what she thinks. I have eliminated toxic people from my life and find it very liberating. I would never have had the courage/strength to do it prior to getting dx with all of these chronic illnesses, so perhaps that's the silver lining....learning to stand up for myself.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BonusMom View Post
    My brother's wife (I have another name for her) had the audacity to say I was making myself sick. How, prey tell, does one make themselves sick with SLE? Yes, there is Munchausen's, however, positive ANAs and such cannot be faked. I know the truth and so do my doctors.

I have nothing to prove to that douche bag, or anybody else, and I don't waste my energy worrying about what she thinks. I have eliminated toxic people from my life and find it very liberating. I would never have had the courage/strength to do it prior to getting dx with all of these chronic illnesses, so perhaps that's the silver lining....learning to stand up for myself.
    My 14 year old brother told me I was faking being sick too. I guess I'm just that lazy of a person that I fake being sick just to make him set the table for dinner instead of me.
    "A bad cold wouldn't be so annoying if it weren't for the advice of our friends."~ Kin Hubbard

Diagnosed: SLE, Raynauds, InterstitialLung Disease, GERD, Myositis, Vasculitis, Possible Sjogrens.
    Medications: 400mg Plaquenil, 2000mg Cellcept, 10mg Norvasc, Nitroglycerin Patch, 20mg Prilosec, 10mg Flexeril, 4mg Medrol, 81mg Asprin.

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

I was at a social gathering last year where there was this family "friend" who was talking all sorts of crap. The guy is an obnoxious wannabe know-it-all, and was talking about how diseases like Lupus, and other autoimmune disorders were just fake "made up diseases" that allowed lazy people to sit around and collect disability while living a life of work-free comfort.

I asked him if he had ever heard of the affliction known as picking up your teeth off the ground with broken fingers. I told him rather colorfully that I would be happy to educate him. He departed that evening rather quickly. Whenever I show up at a family get together to this day, he still leaves. If he knows I'll be there ahead of time, he doesn't even show up. Apparently he's not as stupid as he looks.

Unfortunately, some people just don't get it. Stupidity can be terminal in some cases.

Rob

7. The Following User Says Thank You to rob For This Useful Post:

tgal (04-26-2011)

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,211 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rob View Post
    I was at a social gathering last year where there was this family "friend" who was talking all sorts of crap. The guy is an obnoxious wannabe know-it-all, and was talking about how diseases like Lupus, and other autoimmune disorders were just fake "made up diseases" that allowed lazy people to sit around and collect disability while living a life of work-free comfort.

I asked him if he had ever heard of the affliction known as picking up your teeth off the ground with broken fingers. I told him rather colorfully that I would be happy to educate him. He departed that evening rather quickly. Whenever I show up at a family get together to this day, he still leaves. If he knows I'll be there ahead of time, he doesn't even show up. Apparently he's not as stupid as he looks.

Unfortunately, some people just don't get it. Stupidity can be terminal in some cases.

Rob
    As theh kids say " Lovin me some Rob!" LOL
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~