Page 13 of 22 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Feeling a bit frightened - waiting for diagnosis

Thanks

Hi Corella,

Sorry to hear you took ill, it sounds to me like you have the Agger mate and it can cause congestion of the lungs plus it makes your body bounce bad so keep wrapped up well especially if you was shivering bad and the bed felt like it was shaking, i've had that twice when i was younger and it takes some days getting over.

Keep taking the decongestants mate and the codeine until your right in yourself.

All i can say is stop in bed and keep wrapped up well, to stop it from re-occuring.

Thanks

After a dreadful night last night I went to the emergency GP surgery at the end of my road, the doctor said my asthma is crap - mentioned steroids to which I refused, he said 'dont worry, they wont show in a drug test' and I said never mind the drug test, they make me aggressive and he just laughed.

My temperature was high when he took it so he put me on antibiotics, my peak flow is only 200 and he has told me to rest up in bed and it should improve for Monday, people have colds this time of the year (Perth winter) so I shall just have to take the packets of everything I am taking. He isnt worried about my blood blisters on my thighs, reckons it could be trauma from something. So that is all good.

Now I am in bed, just had some fruit toast, tea and orange juice, I couldnt go to college today as I am too sick so fingers crossed a couple of days in bed will see me OK for Monday. I cannot believe after 3 years I get a chest infection and cold, I had my flu shot the other week and I know its not that as it isnt a live vaccine.

Just praying that everything is OK for my medical as this new job means a lot to me.

Thanks

Being on steroids for a couple of days will make your asthma improve. I often go on steroids when my asthma flares up, and it clears it up really quick.
    Diagnosed with Lupus - 22 June, 2010

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,743 Times in 1,212 Posts

Hope you get to feeling better soon. I have to agree with Linda about the steroids. A medrol pack for 5 days could have you up and running in no time. Whatever you decide I will keep you in my thoughts
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

Thanks

Hello Sam,

Linda and mari are right.... my sister as asthma and when she as it bad she as a steriod jab to help it, i can't believe how quickly it picks up her up but at the end of the day it's your body and you can't be forced into something you don't want.

I am pleased you went to an emergencey GP and he discussed that rash with you, so rest up mate and keep taking the stuff which you think is helping and eating something will do you the world to recovery.

Thanks

Trouble is with me and steroids is they take longer than a week to work on me and I cannot do sudden withdrawal either, I am usually on them no longer than 3 weeks as I get sick if I do the 5 day at 40mg routine. This is because I was on between 40-60mg per day every day for nearly 4 years.

I am slow to respond to the benefits yet within a week my face will be 'moon' and I get the mood swings and insomnia. It's even on my notes at the doctors that I am 'steroid sensitive'. I wish I could be on them for a week and then stop like others could, but I cant.

Last time I was on them, the second night I was awake all night, when they tried to stop them after 5 days, my blood pressure dropped and I had awful effects and my asthma took a real dip, yet I still hadnt had the full benefits one would expect with my asthma, it was still bad and needed a longer dose.

My husband and I went to our favourite Italian restaurant at the end of our road, I drove as I am not drinking but after our main course we had to come home as my temperature started to go up again so now I am back in bed. Good job it is only a 3 min drive.

This is the first cold/infection I have had in 3 years and it has hit me like a ton of bricks.

Thanks

OW .. what a pain for you. Hopefully you can get some rest tomorrow in preparation for Monday
    Diagnosed with Lupus - 22 June, 2010

Thanks

Sam,

Drugs affect people in many different ways, now with my sister one jab and bang her breathing comes back to normal ok and if it causes affects like insomnia then hows that any help to you because you don't sleep much now as it is.

I do wish you all the best for at least a good 60% recovery for monday going to work.

Thanks

Hi Sam,

I hope you've recovered better since we all spoke with you and that your able to attend work monday.

Please let we all know how you are and take it easy.

Terri xxx

Thanks

Well I am still very sick, very very wheezy and chesty and the doctor reckons I have a mild case of influenza, which would be worse had I not had the jab. Temperature goes up and down and I am in cold sweats, awake at 4am each morning craving a cup of tea!

My boss calls me this morning and demands to know 'are you better yet?' and then tells me to come in after my medical. The medical went well, I tested positive for each drug they were testing for as I have been taking panadol and codeine, Sudafed and Lempsip - but as I showed the doctor what I have been taking, he was fine.

They offered me a sick note at my medical but I said no, I passed my hearing test and everything and my new job even called me to see if I had resigned yet and not to worry about the medical as I had the job. Doctor said I was fine for medical anyway, despite having flu.

Got into work with the weirdest feeling ever, sort of detached if you like - for months now I have been dreaming of my late Mum, and in my dreams she has been telling me to get out of this facility as something bad will happen - seriously, its so crowded and people are so overworked its an accident waiting to happen and I kept dreaming about Mum telling me to leave.

Its unhealthy with mice, cockroaches, damp and mould and a big mulch pile, my asthma is bad working there so I knew I had to get out.

I also relented about the steroids, my breathing isnt good and I called the GP and asked for a script for some, I shall be on them for 2 weeks - regardless of response, that is the deal, I will not go on for longer than that. He was happy with that and wrote me up for them and gave me a sick note if I want it.

I resigned and gave my notice, I asked if I could leave in 3 weeks instead of 4 as I am owed holiday and my boss wants me there for the WHOLE 4 weeks! I told him that if he wants to play difficult then I will use my sick note and go off as from tomorrow.

Anyway, first dose of steroids is done - 35mgs - daily for one week, tonight I am tired, by tomorrow the steroid insomnia will kick in and after that if anyone upsets me, the steroids will do the talking.

I have had my antibiotics, my codeine and painkillers to stop me coughing and bring my temperature down, I have a bloody rash all down my neck - I think its to do with my high temperature. I just want to get better for this new job. My hair is stuck to me as I keep sweating and my temp goes from 35 degrees to nearly 38.

But the relief I felt when I had resigned was amazing, I will be back working in the city, back with civilisation and away from all the things that make me wheeze.

Just wish I could shake this flu off, havent felt this sick in yonks. One thing though, and it may be my imagination, my pain that I have been getting in my feet and other auto immune symptoms seem to have subsided, perhaps this flu has taken everything over.