Thread: Starting a new prescription. would like imput

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Default Starting a new prescription. would like imput

Yesterday my primary dr. prescribed Ranitidine 300mg for my nausea, I believe it's generic for zantac. Is anyone taking this and if so what side effects have you experienced. I've the side effects on it, but those who are taking it use it for acid reflux, or gerd. I also forgot to ask my dr. if I only take it when I'm feeling nausea.
    I would really love to hear your experience. Bertie

Thanks

I have acid reflux and the doc told me to take Prilosec or Prevacid. I tried both, and found that Prilosec works best for me. I've never tried Zantac.
    Good luck.
    Hugs,
    Marla

3. The Following User Says Thank You to magistramarla For This Useful Post:

tgal (05-02-2011)

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Below is some information about the drug, just to provide you with a bit of knowledge

Zantac is a H2 blocker. This means that the drug can reduce stomach acid indirectly by preventing the activation of acid production. H2 blockers can relieve heartburn associated with acid indigestion and sour stomach, and they can relieve heartburn fast.
    The active ingredient in Zantac is ranitidine. Prescription ranitidine is usually taken once or twice a day & often at bedtime. Over-The-Counter Ranitidine can be taken to prevent symptoms. It can be taken 30 to 60 minutes before eating or drinking foods that can cause heartburn (usually no more than 2-4 times per day, before meals).
    Ranitidine is also used sometimes to treat upper gastrointestinal bleeding and to prevent stress ulcers, stomach damage from use of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), and aspiration of stomach acid during anesthesia. Dosing protocols depend upon the type of ranitidine you are taking (Syrup or tablet) and upon your symptomology.

Ranitidine may cause side effects. Tell your doctor if any of these symptoms are severe or do not go away:

• headache
    • constipation
    • diarrhea
    • nausea
    • vomiting
    • stomach pain

Ranitidine may cause other side effects.Stop using ranitidine and get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction:

hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
    Call your doctor at once if you have any of these serious side effects:

• chest pain, fever, feeling short of breath, coughing up green or yellow mucus;
    • easy bruising or bleeding, unusual weakness;
    • fast or slow heart rate;

Call your doctor if you have any unusual problems while taking this medication.

I hope that this has been helpful

Peace and Blessings
    Namaste
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Saysusie For This Useful Post:

tgal (05-02-2011)

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,211 Posts

The only thing I can add to the wonderful 2 posts above is that you do take it every day. It keeps the acid from ever building up
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

Thanks

I was put on Zantac in my early 20s because of acid and bile through medication and when my medication was changed in my late 20s i was took off them.

Zantac are brilliant tablets it does'nt take long for them to remove the acid or bile and all i can suggest is go for it because you'll soon feel the difference plus i never got any affect's from them either and my dad was on them for years and swore by them.

Terri xxx

Thanks

Hi, I have taken Ranitidine before and it worked great for me. My son had to be put on this medication when he was 5 years old(liquid form) and it worked like magic for him. I have nothing , but good experience with this drug .
    good luck

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I love your input, and yes very helpful. I' taking it why I'm feeling nausea, not sure if I should just take it every day since I take naproxen every day.
    again, thank you..... bertie

Thanks

Hi Bertie,

I hope it really helps and especially while you have nausea, they had me taking Zantac daily.

All the best Terri xxx