Thread: Weird skin thingys

Thanks

Default Weird skin thingys

HI Everyone, I am new here. Been on an RA forum for a while but my Rheummy is talking more towards lupus. I was wondering if anyone else has this symptom...or even if it's at all related to lupus...But A few weeks ago I got a purple lump, about the size of a pea...on my hip (in a stretch mark). It looked like a blood blister at first. It turned more red colored an is still...just...there. I went to my PCP and he said it was a purpura...but didn't have a clue as to why. I also got a bunch of little bruises on my thighs at the same time about 8 in all...they all were about 1/4 inch and began black/purple and then faded as a bruise usually does. The bump thing is still there...and I just got a weird lump on the side of my nose(on the outside) It's pink and not a pimpy(my kids term for a zit ). Neither dr seems to care...I don't either really except that they are ugly...Just wondering if it's something lupus-ie or not. Thanks, Junebug

Thanks

The Lupus Book by Daniel J. Wallace states:

"Black and blue marks that appear as blotches under the skin may result from abnormal blood coagulation in patients with active lupus. Purpura is the term for this phenomenon. If the purpura is small and "palpable" (that is, feels markedly different from normal skin when touched without looking). this may be a warning sign of active systemic vasculitis or low platelet counts (called thrombocytopenic purpura)."

Sounds like it could be a result of Lupus. I experience strange bumps, but don't remember any that fit that description yet. Hope that helped.

Thanks

Default thanks

Yes...that is what I read,the only weird thing is that the papular blotch was singular(though the brusies were multiple)...my two Docs didn't seem concerned because there was not more than one of those purpura thingys(like my techie jargon )Thanks for your response! Anyone ever have ONE thingy and the Doc said it was Lupus related? I also started a flare about 2 weeks after the thingy showed up. Junebug

Thanks

My skin...where to start. I have had one of those blue/brown spots and at one time. Blister underneath the skin on my feet. The blister type things were on top of my feet, between my toes and the most painful things. They (blisters) eventually opened, cracked and a few were bleeding. As they healed (finally-after two doc visits) the skin had dried out and even more painful to walk. The doc had me use Triamcinolone first. When that did hot work he prescribed Fluocinonide which did. It has been over a month and I still have one small blister on toe.

I get a painful rash type stuff on my inner thighs and in back of my knees. First it swells, aches and the skin gets this very ruff rash. After getting out of the shower or hot tub it burns and then itches horrible. The effected area is so large it would take a gallon of ointment to cover it.

All three skin problems occured during a very stressful time I was having. My HMO doctor asked what was going on in my life at the time as he thought my skin problems were aggravated by stress.

It was my (new) Rhuemie who suggested I go to a dermatologist. I am on a cancellation list for my RA doc with an appointment set for 2/15/06 if a cancellation does not come up first! At least I no longer dread going to the RA doc I had who was a pompous, arrogant, self centered jerk! WOW-that felt good.

GOOD NEWS LAST-When the foot and leg rashes/blisters were in full swing I made an appointment with the dermatologist. However the apppointment was 5 weeks out. Of course the foot blister is down to one healed blsiters and the leg rash while still there is minimal. I am going to my appointment today and describe the problems and see what she says. I tried to take pictures of my feet but they did not turn out.

I am excited to finally have my appointment!

I enjoy reading posts from others as it validates I am not going crazy!

Shirley

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hi Shirley
    No, you are not going crazy!! I think that the dermatologist will probably be the one who can give you some definative answers. Your symptoms sound like they could be several things and I don't want to try to guess right now!
    Please let us know how your appointment goes, what the doctor suspects and what treatments he/she prescribes.
    In the meantime, remember that you are not alone, you are not crazy and we are all here for you!

Best Wishes
    Saysusie