Thread: Kidney Biopsy Question - Anemic

Thanks

Wink Kidney Biopsy Question - Anemic

Hello -

I have been scheduled for a kidney biopsy although they are concerned with my hemoglobin level of 8 going into it and quite frankly,, so am I! I am guaranteed to drop a point or two just normally during this procedure therefore I will be a blood transfusion level going into it. Also, if something goes wrong then I could be in real trouble. Since the kidneys do bleed, there is a likelihood that something could go wrong.

My kidney function is fine,,,and the reason they want to do it is to determine the way to treat the nephritis. My rheaum is leaning towards treating it with Cellcept. I am already on prednisone as the first line of treatment,, BUT I HATE IT! I NEED to get off this stuff!

Any advice from anyone who has nephritis, kidney issues, or has had a biopsy would be so greatly appreciated!

Thanks so much!

Thanks

I don't have any experience with any of those things - just frequent UTIs and very frequent trips to the RR.
    I just wanted to wish you luck and I hope that it all goes well for you.
    Hugs,
    Marla

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Southshore View Post
    Hello -

I have been scheduled for a kidney biopsy although they are concerned with my hemoglobin level of 8 going into it and quite frankly,, so am I! I am guaranteed to drop a point or two just normally during this procedure therefore I will be a blood transfusion level going into it. Also, if something goes wrong then I could be in real trouble. Since the kidneys do bleed, there is a likelihood that something could go wrong.

My kidney function is fine,,,and the reason they want to do it is to determine the way to treat the nephritis. My rheaum is leaning towards treating it with Cellcept. I am already on prednisone as the first line of treatment,, BUT I HATE IT! I NEED to get off this stuff!

Any advice from anyone who has nephritis, kidney issues, or has had a biopsy would be so greatly appreciated!

Thanks so much!
    Can't they wait, until your hemoglobin goes up? I mean since your kidney function is fine,it is not so pressing, that they should risk major or even minor blood loss. That is just my way of thinking, but off course I don't know what the docs know.
    I wish you the best.

Debbie
    I may have been dealt a bad hand, but at least I'm still playing with a full deck. ( most of the time anyway).

Thanks

Like Marla i don't have any experience with Biopsy's but i do concerning the anaemia and my reading's always show 8 and i'm on folic acid and B12 Jabs for life and the way i've been so low, i could'nt let them do it to me because there is an high risk where the kidney's are concerned, they really should be waiting for it to go up.

I do wish you all the best though and healthwise.
    Terri xxx

Thanks

I know you probably already had your kidney biopsy, but I have been through it as well. I hope everything went well. I was not anemic prior to my biospy. Did they do your biopsy by CT guided? My biopsy came back necrotizing glomerulonephritis, a problem caused by my Vasculitis. The only problem I had was that I developed a hematoma on my kidney after the biopsy, which didn't cause any problems. The only problem I had was that it was painful and I had to stay overnight in the hospital. My doctor plans on doing another biopsy after I am done with my chemotherapy treatment. I get Cytoxan once a month for 6 months. Let us know how you did.

Thanks

Hello SouthSore,

I hope your biopsy went well and when your able to please update we on how things went please. xxx