Thread: Cellcept - Advice?

Thanks

Red face Cellcept - Advice?

Hello -

I have been diagnosed with Lupus Nephritis and most likely will start this medication soon. I have seen the highlighted side effects of an increased risk of cancer which scared me to death! This is, of course, a unlikely side effect, but still scary! I have heard so much success with this drug that I am hopeful it will work for me. My function is fine, but I am spilling some protein and blood in my urine resulting in anemia.

Any advice and thoughts as well as experience with this drug would be greatly appreciated! Do you take it on an empty stomach? I have heard this as well.

Thanks so much! I love this site!

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,211 Posts

Hi Southshore,

It is funny you mention that because I was having that same discussion today. That is my fear too. If I have to go on one of those drugs trying to get this under control is it worth it if I up my shot of cancer? I know, I know it is a long shot but that is what I have been worried about too!
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

Thanks

I could be wrong but I think you are supposed to take it with food. I always do. It can cause stomach upset, which eventually goes away, at least it did with me. I love it. Worst problem was it made me so gasy...lol My doctor said to eat yogurt for a few weeks til my stomach got used to it and that did help some.
    "A bad cold wouldn't be so annoying if it weren't for the advice of our friends."~ Kin Hubbard

Diagnosed: SLE, Raynauds, InterstitialLung Disease, GERD, Myositis, Vasculitis, Possible Sjogrens.
    Medications: 400mg Plaquenil, 2000mg Cellcept, 10mg Norvasc, Nitroglycerin Patch, 20mg Prilosec, 10mg Flexeril, 4mg Medrol, 81mg Asprin.

Thanks

Hi Southshore,

I'm like yourself with medication and especially taking one which can up the risk of getting cancer most likely quicker, than it forming naturally.

This is always an hard problem for we all when offered medication that may carry severe side affects for we or could cause something.

I do wish you all the best with your choice and please keep we updated. xxx