Thread: Question Please

Thanks

Default Question Please

Yesterday the Rheumatologist thoroughly inspected my scalp. Who can tell me what that was for? I have irritated spots there from time to time and now I think I might should have mentioned that but I'm not sure what she was looking for. She did tell me that dandruff was a type of yeast infection and gave me shampoo especially for it. I can't believe nobody else has ever mentioned that.
    Melanie

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,742 Times in 1,211 Posts

The Rhuemy was checking for several things.

Often times we lose patches of hair so the doctor was looking for that. Also, many of us get irritated spots, boils, rashes and tons of other things in our scalp. The doctor was just doing a really good examination
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

Thanks

Got it. I have often gotten spots, rashes, and irritations on my scalp. Another answer!!

Thanks

At my first appoitment we talked about hair loss, and I think about an irritated scalp. If I didn't know about the scalp problems associated with Lupus, as a school teacher, I would be thinking that the doctor was looking for nits ..... I don't know what you guys call them, but they are little bugs that crawl around in your hair laying eggs.
    Diagnosed with Lupus - 22 June, 2010

Thanks

The rheumy might have also been looking for signs of psoriasis. Mine told me that the scaly little sores that I've had on my scalp since I was a teen are a sure sign of it.
    I was also surprised to learn that psoriasis can affect our joints - psoriatic arthritis.
    You have a good rheumy there.
    Hugs,
    Marla

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,742 Times in 1,211 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Linda From Australia View Post
    At my first appoitment we talked about hair loss, and I think about an irritated scalp. If I didn't know about the scalp problems associated with Lupus, as a school teacher, I would be thinking that the doctor was looking for nits ..... I don't know what you guys call them, but they are little bugs that crawl around in your hair laying eggs.
    LOL That is the teacher in you! We call those lice and that is NOT what the doc was looking for
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

Thanks

I have sores on my head that have irritated me for over a year and my doctor never wants to pay any attention to them so I try to leave them alone the best I can. Im glad your doctor is looking into it!
    "A bad cold wouldn't be so annoying if it weren't for the advice of our friends."~ Kin Hubbard

Diagnosed: SLE, Raynauds, InterstitialLung Disease, GERD, Myositis, Vasculitis, Possible Sjogrens.
    Medications: 400mg Plaquenil, 2000mg Cellcept, 10mg Norvasc, Nitroglycerin Patch, 20mg Prilosec, 10mg Flexeril, 4mg Medrol, 81mg Asprin.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by magistramarla View Post
    The rheumy might have also been looking for signs of psoriasis. Mine told me that the scaly little sores that I've had on my scalp since I was a teen are a sure sign of it.
    I was also surprised to learn that psoriasis can affect our joints - psoriatic arthritis.
    You have a good rheumy there.
    Hugs,
    Marla
    Yep - so true. Next time you are in NY I will show you my scalp and you can see you aren't alone.
    As long as this body works, I am going to enjoy life to the fullest for each second of every moment that I can.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mdawncooper View Post
    Yesterday the Rheumatologist thoroughly inspected my scalp. Who can tell me what that was for? I have irritated spots there from time to time and now I think I might should have mentioned that but I'm not sure what she was looking for. She did tell me that dandruff was a type of yeast infection and gave me shampoo especially for it. I can't believe nobody else has ever mentioned that.
    Melanie
    Hi Melanie,

I've have had irrated spots and lumps for years on my scalp but never mentioned it to my dermo or rheumo thinking it's an actual nerve rash, through me suffering with my nerves.

Thanks for pointing that out as i see my dermo the 1st week in may and that will get mentioned.

Terri x