Thread: Lupus and Tumors and growths

Thanks

Default Lupus and Tumors and growths

Has anyone with Lupus have been diagnosed any growths or tumors? I have read that there is a connection between constant inflammation and growths. I have a benign growth on my pituitary gland as well as a growth in my colon as well as a growth in my nasal passage. I have a friend who has RA and she has had several tumors removed from her. Anyone else having the same issues?

Thanks

I have a cyst or growth or lesion on my brain... Just went in for an MRI today to see exactly what it is and if they are going to have to remove it...
    "All sounds are potentially dangerous.
    All sounds are potentially medicinal.
    All sounds are beautiful." ~Yoko Ono

Thanks

Default Cyst

Not sure if having lupus makes you more susceptible or not but I've developed a cyst in the joint in my left hip and one in my foot. Docs want to do surgery (of course)! Not fun as I've had trouble walking but have to wait till I have enough PTO to take time off.
    Catlady4520

Thanks

Prior to dx with Lupus, I had a LARGE, but bening tumor removed from my breast, but I was otherwise very healthy. It was about a year after this that my Lupus symptoms really began to manifest in the neurological sense... good luck!
    Chal

Thanks

Oh my...sorry...I couldn't help myself...it reminded me of "the Wizard of Oz"...Lions and Tigers and Bears...Oh my!!!

Anyway...not to make light of the topic...yes I have had this problem!!! I have one tumor that keeps growing and growing and growing...they keep taking it out, and there it is again, but it always comes back benign!!! I have also had about 6 cysts removed, and also because of my Lupus...anything that is abnormal in my body starts to get extreme amounts of calcium built up around it!!!

I also had to have open heart surgery to remove an unknow clot/calcified mass from my heart that was stopping all blood flow back into my heart!!!

I hope I answered your question...I'm done going on and on and on!!!

Best wishes to all and to all a great night!!!!
    ~*~Shannon~*~

"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."
    -Abraham Lincoln

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hi Mviceroy
    Those of us who suffer from lupus and its many related syndromes have heard, quite often, that we may be more susceptable to tumors and some forms of cancer. There is no conclusive studies as to why this happens, there are several factors which have been attributed to this. Some studies have linked Soy with tumor growths. Soy has high levels of the natural plant hormones called isoflavones. In post-menopausal women, these isoflavones have been suspected to actually stimulate tumor growth.
    Also, the association between malignant disease and inflammatory disorders that affect muscles, joints, soft tissue, or the nervous system has been described for many years. Such inflammatory disorders can be classified into two types: paraneoplastic syndromes and cancer-associated rheumatic disorders. Cancer-associated rheumatic disorders (table 2) are well-defined autoimmune and inflammatory disorders that usually occur in the absence of malignancy. However, at times these disorders may be present concurrently with a tumor that is not recognized initially. Included in this category are connective tissue diseases such as those listed below:

Dermatomyositis: Carcinoma, sarcoma, hematopoietic malignant lesions

Rheumatoid arthritis, systemic lupus erythematosus: Lymphoma, other tumors; at times related to use of immunosuppressive agents.

Sjögren's syndrome: Lymphoma

Systemic scleroderma: Lung, skin, other tumors

Hypertrophic pulmonary osteoarthropathy: Lung, other tumors and benign pulmonary conditions

An association between systemic lupus erythematosus and cancer has been reported but has not been conclusively established. Patients with rheumatoid arthritis have a 10-fold increased incidence of Lymphoproliferative disorders; the incidence is increased 33-fold when Sjögren's syndrome is also present. This type of association is less prominent among other connective tissue diseases. For example, the incidence of solid tumors among patients with systemic sclerosis is 3% to 7%. An association between systemic lupus erythematosus and cancer also has been reported but has not been conclusively established.

I hope that this has been helpful to you. Let me know if you need more information
    Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie

Thanks

That's odd. I've been wondering about that and looked just last week to see if I could find something. First, I have had Lupus symptoms a long time. One doc just said I had RA, and after about 20 years, they are thinking its Lupus. And, yes, I have been riddled with benign growths. I became very ill one year. My liver enzymes went through the roof and docs almost let me die because they didn't know what to do. Finally they hospitalized me and checked for a bile duct tumor. They looked in the duct with a little camera, and found the growth nearly stopping up the duct. But that was not the end of it. The tumor had been there so long, (I'd doubled over in pain for years) that it had grown out in my liver, stopping up ducts there. That caused a cyst to form on my liver the size of a small grapefruit. I went to Duke University Medical Center. They said the growth in my liver was so extensive, they had to take 40% of my liver out. Part of my liver was dying! I've had "nodes" on one ovary and it was "diseased" docs said. When I asked with what, no one knew. My appendix was removed when I was 14. They were diseased, constricted in the middle and had "nodes" growing around them. Docs have also told me that CT scans show that my Pancreas is odd looking too and I wonder about growths on it. Don't know for sure though Thanks for posting.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I just had a biopsy on a nodule on my thyroid that came back benign. Waiting to hear from docs as to where we go from here . Nodule because of lupus? Won't be surprised if it is.
    "I'm going to get healthy or die trying"

Thanks

I was diagnosed with a Parathyroid Tumor a few weeks ago, have an appointment with a Endocrinologist (sp) on the 5th of April.
    Could be from the Lupus or MTX, I guess.

Debbie
    I may have been dealt a bad hand, but at least I'm still playing with a full deck. ( most of the time anyway).

Blog Entries
    Thanks

So here's a question I don't know if there's an answer to: lupus caused tumors- what is done about them?
    "I'm going to get healthy or die trying"