Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sore throat

Thanks

Hi Twinmama,

I hope your throat as eased abit if not did you see your Doctor?? i've added below some info refering sore throats and what they're connected to.

Sore throats occur frequently in patients with lupus.

It’s suspected that local inflammation of the mucus membranes could be the cause. Frequently, a fever is also present. That makes it imperative to exclude an infection as the cause of the sore throat. Careful evaluation for strep and viral illness is important. Swollen lymph nodes can occur as a result of SLE or a concomitant infection.
    Apthous mouth ulcers may also occur in patients who are flaring. These may magnify the pain of the sore throat.
    Patients treated with steroids may have sore throats due to thrush- an overgrowth of Candida. This is treated with anti-fungal preparations such as Nystatin or Mycelex.
    SLE patients treated with immunosuppressive drugs such as methotrexate or azathioprine can get a sore throat as a side effect of their medication.
    Another problem is coronary artery disease. Occasionally, angina will present as throat pain. Patients with SLE and throat pain need a cardiac assessment.
    Patients with SLE are also at increased risk for the development of Hashimoto’s thyroiditis- an autoimmune thyroid condition. This often can cause sore throat pain.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Peridot20_Gem For This Useful Post:

Twinmama (04-28-2011)

Thanks

Wow so many things that could be wrong . Anyways , I wanted you inform you that I still have a sore throat,BUT it's not as severe as it became (felt like strep or angina) and my white disgusting tongue has now almost cleared up. all after I took Nystatyn . so noew I know it is Thrush .yak yak yak. On the other hand as I said I still have sore throat like before, which has been going on for about 4 months. so might be the azathioprine . who knows. I give up trying to look for names and causes of the things happening to my body. I'll just try to fix it or live with it. I guess thats our life now

Thanks

Hi Twinmama,

I am pleased your sore throats not so severe and your tongue's starting to clear for you but at least now you know the course.

We all go through so much it's quite unbelieveable at times.

Do takecare & Hugs Terri xxx

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Peridot20_Gem For This Useful Post:

Twinmama (05-03-2011)

Thanks

Smoking definetly causes a white tounge, but you stated you didn't smoke. One other cause is taking an antibiotic. I've had issues where I feel like my throat hurts, and it's turned out to be from the blistering in my mouth, even under my tounge, it will cause it, or the post nasal drip and gerd issues I have. Have they looked in your throat and seen if it was inflammed or not? If it's not, I would look for other causes behind it. You probably should see an ENT and let them look down in there. I know of one thing that clears it up for me within days after getting a severe sore throat, is taking 1 or 2 steriod pills.

Thanks

Hi Twinmama,

How are you feeling now mate and as your throat completley cleared now and do you feel back to normal? please update we on how you are.

((Hugs Terri)) xxx

Thanks

Hello friends,
    I thing that the meds helped me, howevere I still have a sore throat all the time. I got used to it over the month . I tried to get off Prednisone, but that didn't work out. I only lasted day and a half.
    How are you doing?

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,743 Times in 1,212 Posts

I don't remember if you are on steroids or not but steroids are one of the reasons we get thrush. If you use an inhaler for breathing you are a prime candidate for thrush. It is imperative that you clean your mouth out well after each use of the inhaler. Most of us know that yeast infections are common after antibiotics but it is also a side effect of steroids and most of us have to be watchful of it. I am including some information on Thrush but remember that yeast infections are just thrush in another area. A really good way to counteract the possible effects of the antibiotics and/or steroids is to eat a bit of yogurt daily.

http://www.ehow.com/about_5092718_ca...al-thrush.html
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,743 Times in 1,212 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Twinmama View Post
    Hello friends,
    I thing that the meds helped me, howevere I still have a sore throat all the time. I got used to it over the month . I tried to get off Prednisone, but that didn't work out. I only lasted day and a half.
    How are you doing?
    You might want to go back to the doctor and let him/her know because thrush can get down in your esophagus. It may have fixed the mouth issue but not the sore further down. I would suggest that you go back. Unlike "normal" people illnesses have to be cleared up as quickly as possible or we are giving the Lupus an entire playground and we will just get sicker

Let us know what you end up doing!
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

Thanks

Hello Twinmama,

Nice to hear your abit better but fighting with the prednisone can't be easy but mari is right in what she says if it is a possible thrush you do need it clearing ASAP because it can easily trigger other problems and issues, things need to be dealt with quickly and please keep we updated about it please.

Hugs Terri xxx