Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mouth Issues

Thanks

Default Mouth Issues

I know that many people with Lupus have mouth issues. I am just wondering if mine are just me, or if they are Lupus related and I need to speak to my Rheumy about them.
    Diagnosed with Lupus - 22 June, 2010

Blog Entries
    Thanks

what kind of issues are you having?
    As long as this body works, I am going to enjoy life to the fullest for each second of every moment that I can.

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,742 Times in 1,211 Posts

From what you told me the other day I am almost positive they are Lupus related but since my memory pretty much sucks how about you give us a bit more detail
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

Thanks

I get mouth ulcers and cold sores from time to time. Sometimes they can be what I call clusters of ulcers or cold sores. Sometimes the cold sores are not on my lip, but above or below, and they leave a small scar (only I can notice) and still slightly tender for many years later.

The reason why I asked this is because about a month ago my mouth was very tender, (the roof of my mouth, between my teeth) and a huge sore developed on my tongue. My GP was convinced it was cancer and tried to make an urgent appointment for a biopsy. In the mean time she gave me a huge amount of antibiotics. Within a week it had reduced in size and she was shocked. She even told me that she was awake a few nights worried about me. Anyway, the sore is better, but my tongue has a dent in it, or a 'cave'. I don't know how to explain it. My mouth still has some sore patches, and I am just recovering from another cold sore on my lip, but it isn't like my usual ones.

I don't need to have the biopsy and I just figured my mouth is just going hay wire.
    Diagnosed with Lupus - 22 June, 2010

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,742 Times in 1,211 Posts

Sounds like what I get all the time. It really sounds like a Lupus thing. Mouth ulcers and nose (in or just under) are common symptoms of Lupus.
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

I agree with Tgal..sounds like mouth ulcers, which are common in Lupus. Here are some links to pictures of Lupus mouth ulcers:
    http://images.rheumatology.org/viewp...&albumId=75693
    http://ehealthy.blogspot.com/2011/03...-pictures.html

Also, there are several ways that Lupus can affect the mouth and Nose:

• Bullous SLE
        • This is a rare but serious disease in which patients have antibodies against their own skin and mouth. Lesions associated with this condition consist of grouped blisters typically on the head and neck but can be on the arms, and legs. Systemic corticosteroids and immunosuppressives are typically the treatment for this disease.
      • Herpes Simplex (fever blisters)
        • This symptom is listed because it usually appears as a side effect of immunosuppressive therapy. These lesions appear as small groups of painful, fluid filled blisters that usually go away without medical treatment within 2-4 weeks. These are also common among the regular population.
      • Mouth and Nose Ulcers
        • Only about 12% of Systemic Lupus patients experience this symptom. 50% of Discoid Lupus patients experience this symptom. These ulcers form in either the mouth or the nose causing soreness, difficulty chewing, swelling and visible sores when in the mouth. more...
      • Mucosal Discoid Lupus Erythematosus
        • This most commonly affects the inner cheeks and the lips. These lesions resemble red plaques surrounded by lacy whitish areas and are quite painful. Mucosal DLE should be treated both systemically and topically, typically with corticosteroids.
      • Oral Candidiasis (Thrush)
        • This symptom again is usually a side effect of immunosuppressive therapy. This appears as a whitish-red, flaky plaques that can affect any area of the mouth and usually the esophagus. Patients may feel a burning sensation or difficulty swallowing. Oral anti-fungals are used to treat this.

Whatever the cause, you should discuss the symptoms with your doctor as there are treatments that can help. I wish you the very best!

Peace and Blessings
    Namaste
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Linda From Australia View Post
    I know that many people with Lupus have mouth issues. I am just wondering if mine are just me, or if they are Lupus related and I need to speak to my Rheumy about them.

Yeah, I have this problem too. I get sores on my lips, tongue, and on the roof of my mouth. The ones on the roof of my mouth are really painful. Taking a bite of toast feels like eating broken glass. If it's really bad I use this stuff called Orajel, I think that's what it's called. It's a topical anesthetic. It numbs the area, but it doesn't last long, and it tastes awful. I end up eating only soft foods when I get sores like this.

Rob
    Last edited by rob; 04-19-2011 at 06:16 AM.

Thanks

I frequently get mouth and throat ulcers. They can range in size up to circular shapes about 2 cm in width. I have trouble swallowing (sometimes ear pain too), and pain eating acidic, salty or spicy foods...and sometimes even "rough" food as when it touches the sore it can be extremely painful. They usually last for a long time for me compared to "canker" sores my husband/family members get (2-3 weeks? maybe even longer though that may be that one turns into another.

I do not get cold sores though.

HTH

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Linda From Australia View Post
    I get mouth ulcers and cold sores from time to time. Sometimes they can be what I call clusters of ulcers or cold sores. Sometimes the cold sores are not on my lip, but above or below, and they leave a small scar (only I can notice) and still slightly tender for many years later.

The reason why I asked this is because about a month ago my mouth was very tender, (the roof of my mouth, between my teeth) and a huge sore developed on my tongue. My GP was convinced it was cancer and tried to make an urgent appointment for a biopsy. In the mean time she gave me a huge amount of antibiotics. Within a week it had reduced in size and she was shocked. She even told me that she was awake a few nights worried about me. Anyway, the sore is better, but my tongue has a dent in it, or a 'cave'. I don't know how to explain it. My mouth still has some sore patches, and I am just recovering from another cold sore on my lip, but it isn't like my usual ones.

I don't need to have the biopsy and I just figured my mouth is just going hay wire.
    Hi Linda,

How you call them cold sores, i have top and bottom of my lips like a form of a coldsore but they're actually blister's and i get the sores up my nose but besides that nothing else in my mouth, i really hope it sorts itself out as there's nothing worse than things messing about in your mouth.

Best of luck mate xxx

Thanks

When I get mouth ulcers it's a clue that my WBC's are pretty low (under 3.0). To combat this, my rheumy prescibed 4 mg of Folic Acid to be taken daily. With the addition of folic acid, I now run around 3.5-4.0 (the lab's range is 4.6-11.0)..

It'll be interesting to see what my WBC is now that Imuran is no longer in my arsenal...