Thread: how did you describe your symptoms to your doctor?

Thanks

Default how did you describe your symptoms to your doctor?

hi there all!
    I'm having trouble explaining to my doctor the way i feel.. and she's not quite the sharpest crayon in the box about lupus if you know what i mean :P .. she says i'm "fine" because my hands aren't swollen, but hello, i'm in severe pain don't tell me that i'm fine.. and she says my breathing is fine, but i think i know the difference between gasping for air and breathing normally thank you.. lol. Did any ofnyou go through this with your family doctor or is mine just the dumbest ever? Thank you in advance. -Bianca-

Thanks

I think a lot of us have gone through this with doctors. I see my rheumy about every 4 months and a lot of times I am not at my worst when I se her. I started taking pictures of my hands when they were red or swollen and my face when I had the butterfly rash. I also kept a log of my symptoms and fevers. I would rate my pain and fatigue on a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being unbearable.

Unfortunately I think there are some doctors who might never listen or take people seriously (I've been through this). You might need to switch doctors if possible until you find one that takes your symptoms seriously. Is this your rheumy or your family doc? Hopefully others will be along with more advice. Take care.

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hi Bianca;
    Hippimom has given you excellent advise (especially about taking the pictures and keeping a log). Also, educate yourself about Lupus and help your doctor to become educated by taking information with you to your appointments.
    I would also suggest that you ask for a doctor who specializes in internal medicine (as opposed to a family doctor or general practitioner). Do not be afraid to ask for another doctor, as Hippimom suggested!

I wish you the very best
    Saysusie

Thanks

thank you so much Hippomom and Saysusie! yea she's my family doctor. I was doing a log all summer but then i lost it.. i guess i should start up a new one! i can;t necessarily take pictures because the butterfly rash is ALWAYS there, and my hands don't necessarily get swollen because my fingers are slender but the knuckles turn blua and black and the pain is definate;y unbearable.. i can never make a fist or straighten my fingers. She just doesn't listen to me. I feel like telling her "it doesn't matter if my hands or my knees are swollen, i'm telling you i feel the damn pain, now fix it!" but eh.. that would probably get me in trouble with me parents. heh.. thanks again girls! i'll be suyre to start that log! bye for now! -Bianca-

Thanks

As much as I hate to do it, I sometimes take my husband with me. When I'm sick and exhausted and in pain I don't think the docs take me as seriously as they do a healthy man who descibes my hands that are sometimes hot, even though they might not be hot when I'm in the doctor's office, et . Anyway, it may be worth a try. Your idea of a journal is excellent too.