Thread: Tattoo time!

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Default Tattoo time!

Hippy chickness has no age limit regardless of what my darling teenage daughter says. My 45th birthday present from my kids was a dragonfly tattoo on the top of my foot with their names and birthdates in the wings. I now have 3. The other 2 are on my right wrist. I like them where I can admire them without cranking my neck. I'm about to add another one!

And I have lupus to "thank" for it."WTF"??? is probably the most likely response right about now. Let me explain:

Dr recommended an medical ID necklace or bracelet. After much research I discovered that most first responders look at the wrist the most for medical ID. That and I already have a particular necklace I wear 24/7. Well bracelets have a short life span with me no matter what they are made of. So... while googling medical bracelets I came across pictures of people who have medical tattoos instead. Many guys in the military get their blood types tattooed on their chests as well. Hmmm. My desire for another tattoo and a solution to my anti bracelet quandary! So, hopefully next week I am going to get on the inside of my left wrist the medical symbol that is on the jewelry (don't know what the name of it is) and in pretty writing around it will be written the word "Lupus". So very typically me!!! and functional too.

Anybody else have any medical tattoos? This is gonna be fun!

Blog Entries
    Thanks

That is such a smart idea! Definitely can't lose it without losing that limb and you'll never leave home without it. I'd love to see the pictures when you get it done. As for me - ink free. But that's mostly a fear of needles thing.
    As long as this body works, I am going to enjoy life to the fullest for each second of every moment that I can.

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,211 Posts

I too think that is a great idea but being the "mom type" that I am have to toss this out there. Many people with autoimmune diseases tend to have issues when getting tattoos. Some people handle it just fine but others seem to flare because their body attacks the place where the needle went in. Just make sure to check with your doctor and make sure that your body is at a good place before starting the ink. Once you get the clear from him/her... color away!
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I got my other 3 tattoos before I was diagnosed with Lupus and thought it was Rheumatoid Arthritis. Didn't seem to bother me then and if it does now, it is the price I'll pay. Can't be much worse than the side effects from plaquenil yet oh so much cooler!

Thanks

Just curious-Did you get your tatoo?
    Last edited by n.mac; 03-31-2012 at 06:43 PM.

Thanks

A friend of mine with lupus has a butterfly tattoo with "lupus" on it. I've always thought that would be kind of fun, but have no idea where I'd put it, and my 13 yr old son begs me not to do it! So I'll live vicariously thru you! Let us know how it goes!

Blog Entries
    Thanks

What a unique idea, a medical tattoo. Never in a million years would I have ever thought of that.

Thanks

Good for you! Post a pic if you've already gotten it!

This is what I want to be getting soon

WolfButterfly-700x588.jpg

It's two wolfs (for lupus) and the butterfly (for the cure)
    "Rule number one is, don't sweat the small stuff. Rule number two is, it's all small stuff."
    -Robert Eliot

Dx: Potential Lupus, Diffuse Systemic Sclerosis, Mixed Connective Tissue Disease

Rx: Prednisone 5mg 1x daily, Lyrica 75mg 2x daily, Omeprazole 200mg 1x daily, Xanax .5mg prn

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I know, I know, I need to post a pic of the tattoo. I've got 3 more in the works: 1 for my grandson who is 4 1/2 months old, 1 for the grandchild due the end of this year and my daughter wants to get matching tattoos for the fun of it. Lupus be darned! I'm getting ink because I CAN! I'm going to flare regardless so I might as well have fun! Yup, I'm the rebel granny!
    "I'm going to get healthy or die trying"

Thanks

I saw a lupus themed tattoo -it was a wolf head with butterfly wings- very cool !