Thread: sun protection clothing

Thanks

Default sun protection clothing

I am working on protecting myself from the sun. I got my sunglasses handy, need some wrap around to deal with the wind. I have my eye drops for dry eyes though they are not the best. I'm still tryng to find a better brand. I have figured out my eye drainage duct is sometimes swollen so I drip tears and some times it just painfully dry.

I have learned from reading the Sjogrens site that my poor temperature control may be related. I just don't seem to sweat so I can't cool my body. I blamed it on menopause. I have been telling the doctor for 4 years I can't handle really hot or mild hot weather. My hot flashes are a dry heat, lol.

My skin sometimes feels painful, new symptom, of course it's dry but it sometimes feels like a sun burn.

So I am on a hunt to find some long sleeve shirts that will keep me cool and protected in the sun. Has anyone found one that works? I run on the very hot side so I don't know how I'll feel all covered up. I have REI near me so I can at least try one on. I have a hard time with anything around my neck due to the swollen thyroid.

I am also searching for a sun hat. I saw one that has a long tail like panel to cover the back of the neck.

I did get the sun screen but it's so chalky and it takes a lot to wash it off. It does feel good like I'm under a shade of white. I'll try some thinner brands.

Though I don't break out in sores I do notice I feel very unwell after long sun exposure.

It's garden season weather so I hopt to do some work out side. I will also work more in the evening when it's cool and dusky.

Teresa in CO still waiitng for blood results.

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,742 Times in 1,211 Posts

I just found a wonderful new Sunscreen for my face. It is 100 SPF (yes, 100!). It is made by Neutrogena and it is called Ultra Sheer Dry Touch Sunblock. I also wear a large rimmed hat and sunglasses. I like the spray sunscreens but I miss parts too often. I have 2 big blisters, one on the index finger and one on the middle finger) that I can't get rid of. They came about because I missed those spots about 6 weeks ago and now I can't get them to heal.

I too would be interested to know about the sun protection clothing. I haven't found any that protect me and that I can stand (I too am VERY hot natured now). What I do now is wear a thin, long sleeve shirt but I will put on high SPF sunscreen before i get dressed. I can't wait to see the answers to this
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

Living in Maine, I buy all of my outdoor clothing and gear from LL Bean. I have a great hat from them that has a wide brim and a flap to cover the back of your neck. I never leave home without it. Here's a link-

www.llbean.com/llb/shop/63178?feat=507879-GN2

LL Bean stuff lasts forever, and they have free shipping.

Rob

ETA-When you go to the LL Bean site, type "sun protection" into their search engine and you'll get all sorts of good stuff. I wear a longsleeve lightweight jersey from them that's meant for cyclists when I go kayaking or sailing in the summer, and it is very cool even if the temps are in the high 70's.
    Last edited by rob; 04-13-2011 at 01:55 PM.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rob View Post
    Living in Maine, I buy all of my outdoor clothing and gear from LL Bean. I have a great hat from them that has a wide brim and a flap to cover the back of your neck. I never leave home without it. Here's a link-

www.llbean.com/llb/shop/63178?feat=507879-GN2

LL Bean stuff lasts forever, and they have free shipping.

Rob

AND they have very accurate sizing charts/descriptions which range from a very small body size to a very large one

AND they have a no-hassle, 100% guaranteed exchange/return policy

AND their clothes are all made very well and still look relatively new after many many washings

AND they also have "work casual" in addition to their everyday casual clothing.
    As long as this body works, I am going to enjoy life to the fullest for each second of every moment that I can.

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SandyR View Post
    AND they have very accurate sizing charts/descriptions which range from a very small body size to a very large one

AND they have a no-hassle, 100% guaranteed exchange/return policy

AND their clothes are all made very well and still look relatively new after many many washings

AND they also have "work casual" in addition to their everyday casual clothing.
    And, the outlet store in Bangor had Remington 12 gauge trap and skeet loads on sale, buy one box, get one free...

Had, is the operative word.

Thanks

Since i can no longer wear my contacts i had to go to clip on glasses. Hardest darn things to keep up with. I found a really good lightweight Jaclyn Smith wide brim hat at k-mart at a really good price. I sew alot so i took it home and made very light weight,wide ties on each side. Not only does it the cover completely the sides of my face ,neck and ears, i can keep in on in the wind now. I am thinking about drawing up a pattern this week for almost the same hat. I am going to sew one up and if it works out good if anyone would like a pattern i would be glad to give them one. It's hard to stay cool and with the temps here in Tennessee already getting up there i will have to devise something really lightweight or my hotflashes will kill me.. i to have the problem with not being able to perspire right.

I wear thin long sleeve shirts and a ton of sun block now because the sun makes me sick all over.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

100 spf!?!?! way to go neutragena! Hopefully they'll send it to stores in Montana (we tend to be last to get the good stuff, the price we pay for all the beauty and fresh air)

The makers of Rit dye have a sunscreen that you wash into your clothes and is supposed to last 10+ washes. I haven't seen it in the stores here in ages but look online for it and where to order it. I got some for my husband's work shirts (he's a mailman) and it seemed to work well. I've looked at the spf clothing (before the price tag caused my eyes to get bleary from tears) and changed that idea quickly. I'm going to mess around with an old long sleeve button down shirt and spray regular sunscreen on that and see if that works. Necessity is the mother of invention! Solar Shields brand sunglasses look like regular sunglasses but fit over prescription. Only $20 and actually look "cool" not like the old person clip ons (unless you are into that sort of thing). KMart and Smith's grocery has them here and they come in a variety of styles. Love them! Montana is usually very windy so wearing a hat is a challenge. Rely on lots of sunscreen instead. However, on the very rare days it isn't blowing hear I have a great beat up with lots of character straw hat.