Thread: Prednisone Dilemma

Thanks

Default Prednisone Dilemma

I normally take a 10 mg. maintenance dose of Prednisone along with my Plaquenil and monthly Benlysta infusions. Three weeks ago, I began having difficulty breathing (oh yeah, I also take Symbicort, Zyrtec, and have a rescue inhaler). I increased my Prednisone to 15, then to 20, was using my inhalers, and still felt like I couldn't get a full breath and would literally be breathing like I had been running a race just walking down the hallway to my classroom. I ended up at my primary care doctor's office, got a mega-shot of steroids, increased my Prednisone to a step-down starting at 50, Singulair, and an antibiotic, and orders to get to the hospital if I got any worse. Lung x-rays were clear. Diagnosis: Chronic bronchitis (inflammation that doesn't show up on x-rays). Long story short, my blood sugar is now out of control. My doctor wants me to be on my maintenance dose of Prednisone for 5 days because he thinks it's what caused my blood sugar to spiral into the stratosphere, and I'm sure he is right. I have been back on my maintenance dose of Prednisone for two days and am feeling that weird feeling like I'm breathing through a screen/filter. Is this going to be my new normal, gradually increased dependence on Prednisone/other med. with a blood-sugar battle to boot? My great-aunt died from Lupus complications, and I remember her saying that the Prednisone was too much, but she couldn't live without the steroids. It scares me.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,645 Times in 1,130 Posts

I am sorry, I cannot offer advice .....

but I can offer cyber hugs.

wishing you a recovery that works
    When you're stressed, You eat Ice cream, Cake, Chocolate & Sweets. Why? Because stressed spelled backwards is DESSERTS.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to steve.b For This Useful Post:

nanaeagle (11-15-2014)

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

I cannot tell you if it will be your new normal or not? That depends greatly upon your tolerance of the drug and your symptoms. There are many who find that they've had to increase their maintenance dosage of Prednisone as they crash each time they try to taper.
    The drug does wonders in correcting a myriad of issues. But, it does indeed have so many side-effects that many wonder if suffering the symptoms is better than taking Prednisone. However, for you personally, you may have to have a long discussion with your doctor about the pros and cons of the drug use for you. Diabetes is one of the possible side effects when using high doses or using for a prolonged period of time. But, you and your doctor have to decide if dealing with the increased blood sugar is worth the benefits that you see while using the drug.
    Please keep us posted and I wish you the very best.

Peace and Blessings
    Namaste
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Saysusie For This Useful Post:

nanaeagle (11-15-2014)

Thanks

Thanks for the cyber hugs.

Thanks

Thanks for your words of wisdom. I am breathing much easier. My next rheumy appointment is Friday. I have a long list of questions for my doctor. As of now, I am on two diabetes meds.---pill form. I have had six Benlysta infusions, so it's time to evaluate its effectiveness as well. Thanks again and have a great weekend!