Thread: lupus and exercise

Thanks

Default lupus and exercise

Hello,

I've read that exercise is very important with lupus. so I went for a Zumba class ...long story short, 15 minutes later I was done. I could barely breath and I got dizzy, almost fainted etc. so I sat down thinking I will re4st and try again but I was wrong. I couldn't do another move. (not to mention my knees were protesting as well)
    I'm 30 years old and 128lb. and I used to be able to exercise for an hour with no problem.

Anyone experiencing the same things? I saw lot of stories where people go jogging and go to the gym. I wanna be able to do that too!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,617 Times in 1,107 Posts

the basic idea is to start on mild exercise and slowly work up to what used to be normal.

i have found water aerobics very helpful. you get the exercise without the strains on the body.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to steve.b For This Useful Post:

Twinmama (04-10-2011)

Thanks

Last year I could manage 30 minutes of Arthritis exercise with no problems at all. However, this year, since an operation on January 4 and complications, I can only manage some pelvic floor exercises. I was feeling very down last week because my physio said I can progress to some limb movement, and that has caused me so much joint pain, so he has put me ack to step one again. I saw my GP yesterday and told her about the disappointment I felt about not being about to progress as fast as I wanted and told me to only do the exercises that I can manage and doesn't cause any pain because I still have a LONG way to go before I can think about doing 'normal' things. I even tried swimming. I used to swim for 1 hour non stop. Well I must admit that was pre-lupus and in my early 20s (I am 48). So thinking I am going to get super fit and regain some control of my life - I only lasted 5 minutes, crawled out of the pool and went home. I slept for 2 hours. The 5 min swim was only just a bit faster than a walk, so I didn't overdo it.

Walking down the park and oval can on good days take 20 minutes, on bad days I have to take my husband to help me to walk, and that takes about 30 - 45 minutes. I started off walking once a week, then every 4 days, now I am walking every 2 or 3 days. Sometimes I can manage to walk every day, other times I need to take a 3 day break to recover. I am determined to only allow 3 days break and then take my husband with me to help me otherwise I will believe that I cannot walk.

I do 30 minutes pelvic floor exercises twice a day that my physio has designed. That involves moving my arms and legs as well. It is really a hard workout, and I always break out in a sweat. If I go for a walk in the morning I only do a few minutes of pelvic floor exercises because I have to get ready for work. On bad days, I do an easier 'workout'.

My advice for you Twinmama is to try a variety of exercises, but take it really slow. Work out which ones you enjoy, talk to the instructor and first of all ask about their knowledge of lupus, and ask for them to help you to monitor your progress. If you end up doing too much, don't stop exercising, just modify it. If exercise becomes a part of your life it will be a part of your normal daily routine, just like waking up in the morning and brushing your teeth. Before I get out of bed and when I get into bed at night time, I do some exercises. It has not been too hard for me to adjust, but it does take some time and perseverance. It is very important to only do what you enjoy, don't force yourself.
    Last edited by Linda From Australia; 04-10-2011 at 01:55 AM.
    Diagnosed with Lupus - 22 June, 2010

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Linda From Australia For This Useful Post:

Twinmama (04-10-2011)

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,211 Posts

I know they say we should exercise but I can hardly walk on some days! We did buy a Wii in hopes that the games will at least allow me go get up and move while staying in my air conditioned house since I can't handle the heat at ALL!

I am going to try water exercise as well. Let us know how it goes
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

7. The Following User Says Thank You to tgal For This Useful Post:

Twinmama (04-11-2011)

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hi Twinmama
    The important thing that we are told about regular exercise is that we must find an exercise routine that is non-jarring, easy on our joints and bones, and that is not strenuous. So, I think that kind of puts Zumba in the "Don't Try It" category for us Lupies :-(
    Some suggested exercises for us are: Yoga, Swimming, Walking, Pilates, Bike Riding. I love the idea of Wii and hope to get one myself..The bowling is tons of fun
    Do not give up exercising on a regular basis. Just try to find one that provides you with the conditioning that you need while not aggravating any of your symptoms. I wish you the very best

Peace and Blessings
    Namaste
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Saysusie For This Useful Post:

Twinmama (04-11-2011)

Thanks

Hi Twinmama,

I'm 42 go back nearly 4yrs and i could do a fare bit and my strength was'nt bad at all but within the last 2yrs my strength is useless and everything i could keep ontop of as gone down hill, everything i do is now spaced as i've got no choice.
    I wake up of a morning my body's cramped besides joints swollen and besides being breathless does'nt help, im only 9st and the lot seems alot so i know how you feel on the subject and your younger.

Thanks

Thank you all for advices ! I also bought WII but had the same result, and I barely did anytime. Today I triedyoga on it and after only 4 poses and 15 minutes I had to stop again. This time I wasn't just tired, also started one of my lupus headaches ! Which is why I'm still up right now(1am).
    I think I'll try the water exercise next!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,617 Times in 1,107 Posts

everyone is different, something will work for you.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Twinmama View Post
    Thank you all for advices ! I also bought WII but had the same result, and I barely did anytime. Today I triedyoga on it and after only 4 poses and 15 minutes I had to stop again. This time I wasn't just tired, also started one of my lupus headaches ! Which is why I'm still up right now(1am).
    I think I'll try the water exercise next!
    Hello Twinmama,
    Sorry to hear the yoga did'nt work but if your anything like myself, just bending takes it out on me besides my beathing also but i do wish you the best with the water exercise and keep we updated.

Hugs Terri xxx