Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm Pregnant!! Need Advice

Thanks

Default I'm Pregnant!! Need Advice

I got a huge birthday surprise, I found out I was pregnant. I had a bad flare up. I don't know if it was because of the baby or because on my birthday, I didn't take my meds. And I know from past experience that when I miss my dosage of predsinone I break out in rashes that are itchy and burning.

I want to know if anyone has become pregnant with having lupus and how was their pregnancy? Also has anyone become pregnant while their lupus has NOT gone in remission and if so, was their pregnancy difficult.

I've gone to the doctors, the doctors said none of my organs are affected. My kidneys have not been affected. My rhuemy did say that my lab results showed my lupus was pretty high, something like a 83. (Have no clue as to what that means)

I'm excited about the pregnancy. I just want to have a healthy baby. And would like to actually talk to someone who has actually had a successful pregnancy with lupus.

Anyone please give me insights, advice, anything that will helpful to me!!!!

Thank you
    You too shall overcome this!

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hi Butterly1;
    Congratulations on your pregnancy and I, too, wish you a happy healthy baby! Hopefully, someone will respond to your questions soon. I just wanted to say how happy I am for you!!

Saysusie

Thanks

Congratulations!!!! I have read that women with lupus can have a normal healthy pregnancy if they are followed closely by their doctors. I have also read that a lot of women's lupus symptoms improved during pregnancy due to the change in the level of hormones, but I guess some people flare after the birth. I really hope things go well for you. Keep us updated on how things are going. Take care.

Thanks

I have heard both... That sometimes symptoms get better during pregnancy, and sometimes get worse... I don't know what's more common or anything... I've just heard both... Sorry I can't be of more help!
    "All sounds are potentially dangerous.
    All sounds are potentially medicinal.
    All sounds are beautiful." ~Yoko Ono

Thanks

Default Thank you guys!!!!

I got my first ultrasound. The doctor said I am about 8 weeks. Everything looks fine. Thank you for all you guys support. Keep me in your prayers. I am so EXCITED about this pregnancy.

Thanks

Default Congrats!!!!

I have 3 children. 20, 17, and 8 years old. My first pregnancy was great I was 21. My second was great I was 24. After the second child the arthritis flared a little (very minor). My third child ( a girl) was a little difficult. I was 33. My body was trying to attack her. The Drs were afraid my umbilical cord would detach. My lupus flared! I received steroid shots every week.I was in the bed the last 3 months of pregnancy. Contractions had started. With all my children I had gestational diabetis. I dont know if age was a factor or that by this time I had lupus for 9 years plus. All went well. My delivery was great. About 3-6 months after she was born I became sick. Just worn out and arthritis. So I think it was all OK. Hormone changes made me feel like I had more energy while I was pregnant. Please watch your weight. It might have something to do with feeling sick, if not , you might just avoid stretch marks LOL! Good Luck!! I think all will be well. My children were perfect when they were born. I cant say the same now that they are teens! LOL!
    Enjoy every moment!
    Kathleen Gardo

Thanks

Default pregnancy

butterfly11
    congratulations first and foremost! This will be a very exciting time for you. A lot of changes emotionally and physically.
    I recently had a baby boy 5 months ago and a daughter 19 months ago.
    I'm not a doctor, but here's what I was told to do and what I did. I saw a preintalogist (sp?), a high risk baby doctor. I saw them just about every three to four weeks in the beginning and then once a week at the end, sometimes twice a week. It's important to make sure you keep your appointments and monitor the baby. With the lupus, most likely the doctor will do some tests for positive ANA? I think and other tests. The nice thing about being in a high risk clinic was all the ultrasounds! You will have tons of them, compared to a normal person, who is lucky to have one or two only.
    For me, I was lucky, both pregnancies for the most part went well. Through the course of the pregnancies, i did need to go to the ER a few times during both. Watch your blood pressure, if you have a means of taking it at home or running to a local pharmacy to take it at least once a week, keep an eye on it. Eat well, drink TONS of water, avoid the obvious no no's. There isn't anything you can do to avoid stretch marks, either you will get them or you wont. They are genetically predispositioned. But, I did rub a heavy duty moistureizer on my belly regligiously everyday.
    If you are in a flare now, talk to you doctor and find out what your options are. I personally was in remission both times. A lupus flare can trigger at anytime during a pregnancy if one is in remision. I did a lot of online research, the foundation site is a good place to start. Your doctor can and should be able to provide a lot of good information to you also. If you don't feel comfortable with your doctor who is over seeing the pregnancy, find one you are comfortable with. You will be seeing this person a lot during the next 8 months. Get rest when you can. In a book I read, it describe a pregnant woman's body growing a baby as if you were rock climbing 24 hours a day.
    Hope some of this helps. Bottom line, makesure you get great prenatal care, take your vitamins, get rest, eat well, drink water water water water!
    Best wishes to you and your growing family, keep us posted often if you can and let us know all the changes, I enjoyed every moment of pregnancy. I hope you do too! Feel free to email anytime!

Cindy
    dx'd 1984 SLE w/ Raynauds
    dx'd 2005 Lupus nephritis type IV
    docs= PCP, Rheumatologist, Nephrologist and Opthomologist

some days you're the bug, somedays your're the windshield

Thanks

Hey there butterfly~

I hope things are still going well with you pregnancy. Congrats to you, and it is so refreshing to see you in such great spirits. Good luck through the course, and be sure to keep us all posted!!!

All I know about Lupus and pregnancy is it varies greatly with each individual!!! I hope that is helps you!!!
    ~*~Shannon~*~

"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."
    -Abraham Lincoln

Thanks

A woman my husband works with has lupus and she said with both pregnancies she felt better than ever, no flare ups at all, her husband even suggested to her doctor why they couldn't make a lupus pill from pregnancy hormones.
    Anyway congratulations, enjoy this time and get plenty of rest, the next 18 years will be a roller coaster, but one we don't want to get off.

Jo

Thanks

Default THank you for all your helpful advice!!!!

Clogan74,

Thank you for all your helpful advice. All that information is helpful. I have a doctors appointment with the preintol (?) on wed. 21 so wish me luck. I hope by then they can tell me what the sex of the baby is. also i've been worried about having a miscarriage. I've been reading on the internet that some women have miscarriages without even knowing it. I don't know I guess I'm paranoid because i want this baby so bad.

anyways thanks for the advice and i will keep you guys posted after the doctors appointment