Thread: Recent Blood Work...

Thanks

Default Recent Blood Work...

Hi all. It's been another great while since I have been here. My apologies but life has been busy! I am currently taking Phlebotomy class and should be certified August of this year! I am currently looking for a job in the field and am doing great in the class. It's so exciting! My daughter is now going on 7 months old and moving all over the place. She is doing well although at her last checkup at 4 months the dr thought he heard a slight murmur so an echo was done. We will get the results at her next checkup April 12th.

...Anyhow, I had some blood work done March 30th and just got the results in the mail today....I have some things that are "off" and wanted to know everyone's opinions!...Tell me what you think as I am having symptoms as well and everything is now worse with my periods...

Globulin- 2.1 (Norm= 2.2-3.9)
    A/G Ratio- 2.3 (Norm= 1.0-2.1)
    Glucose- 64 (Norm= 65-99)
    CK, Total- 185 (Norm= 29-143)
    C3- 81 (Norm= 90-180)
    C4- 14 (Norm= 16-47)
    ANA- Positive, Speckled/Homogeneous Pattern/Titer: 1:80

Urine:
    Dark Yellow
    Protein: Trace
    Bacteria- Moderate(26-50)
    Mucous Threads- Few
    *LadyBug*- Epilepsy Dx: 2003 & UCTD w/SLE features Dx: 2009 SLE/Lupus Dx: May 12th 2011--Current Meds:
    Plaquenil-200mg 2x/day
    Prednisone-7.5mg 1x/day
    Methotrexate- 2.5mg 4 pills 1x/week
    Keppra-750mg 2x/day
    Daily Vitamin-1x/day
    Folic Acid- 1mg 1x/day
    Protonix 40mg 1x/day
    Bentyl- 10mg 4x/day, Miralax- 17g 1x/day
    Vit. D 800IU's 1x/day
    Lyrica- 75mg 1x/day
    Flonase 50mcg 2 sprays each 1x/day

Wanna know my story, just ask!

*Lord_Walters_Lady* <3

Thanks

Thanks all. I emailed my rheumy about this and here was her response:

Hi, Brittanee.

I did receive your labs from 3/30/11.

This is somewhat as I suspected. In the post-partum period, you are becoming more immunologically active (low complements, higher titer ANA).

There is not any evidence of organ inflammation, most important kidneys (the urine protein/cr ratio is normal), but we need to keep a close eye on this.

If there are other systems involved, such as joints and muscle, I can really only tell by seeing you.

At this time, the Plaquenil is the most important medication that you have.

Attached is an additional lab slip - please have these completed (additional antibodies, recheck of kidney/urine) in about 1-2 weeks and keep me updated about symptoms.

Thank you,

Rebecca Manno

Rebecca Manno, M.D., M.H.S.
    Fellow, Division of Rheumatology
    Johns Hopkins School of Medicine
    Baltimore, Maryland

I ended up writing back to her with this reply:

Alright I will and as soon as I can set up an appointment to come visit you I will.

Also, if/when things start becoming more active again(i'm thinking the exposure this summer to heat/sun and the fluorescents due to clinicals & possible job/school)what would be the next step we would take in regards to treatment?

And received this back from her as well:

We would treat you with a little bit of prednisone - for as short a time as possible.

If we were not able to decrease or remove the prednisone - then we would be considering steroid-sparing agents such as methotrexate, Cellcept or imuran.

Rebecca Manno, M.D., M.H.S.
    Fellow, Division of Rheumatology
    Johns Hopkins School of Medicine
    Baltimore, Maryland

Would anyone care to comment on the meds/side effects/etc? I was on prednisone for a few days about a yr and a half ago and it worked until i came off it and symptoms got worse. Other than that I have not been on anything besides Plaquenil for 2 yrs and weve tried diff pain meds(Naprosyn 1000mg/day & Neurontin 900mg/day but none of this worked)...I'm also on vitamin supplements etc so were pushing the limit here as to treating things symptomatically with different drugs.

Also, when I reviewed the lab slip the tests she had checked off to be completed were as follows:

Aldolase
    CPK
    CRP
    Complete Urinalysis
    Urine Random Protein
    Urine Random Creatinine
    Anti-dsDNA
    Anti-RNP/sm
    Anti-SSA/SSB
    C3 & C4
    CH50
    Myositis Panel
    RA Diag. Panel
    RPR (STS)
    Lupus Anticoagulant
    RVVT
    *LadyBug*- Epilepsy Dx: 2003 & UCTD w/SLE features Dx: 2009 SLE/Lupus Dx: May 12th 2011--Current Meds:
    Plaquenil-200mg 2x/day
    Prednisone-7.5mg 1x/day
    Keppra-750mg 2x/day
    Daily Vitamin-1x/day
    Folic Acid- 1mg 1x/day
    Protonix 40mg 1x/day
    Vit. D 800IU's 1x/day
    Lyrica- 75mg 1x/day

*Lord_Walters_Lady* <3

Thanks

Hello Mommyof1,

Nice to hear off you if you've not been on for a while and i wish your daughter all the very best for the 12th and please update we when you have time.
    I do hope your organ's especially your kidney's keep ok, i'm losing good protein like yourself down below and it's so annoying at times.

I've been on plaquenil for coming up to 9wks finding the side affects hard but need to beat them as my body is in so much pain and flaring of joint's, they did want me on the presidone like yourself but being a steroid did'nt fancy it and you also have to take a tablet for brickle bones with it, as the presidone causes this but as you know there's so many member's on it and somone will answer with excellent advice, where i'm unable to.

I wish you all the best with your health and extra meds you start.

~Hugs Terri~ xxx

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,645 Times in 1,130 Posts

the blood test that are ordered appear to be normal tests.
    plaquenil and methotrexate are pretty much a standard combination. i swear by them for me, but not everyone is the same.
    your folic acid intake is pretty low.
    i use 5mg tablets 3 to 6 times a week. never on methotrexate day.
    also it looks as though your slightly dehydrated. increase your water intake.
    if you are drinking soda, it is no substitute for water. it actually can assist with the dehydration.

i am not a doctor, but hope this helps. speak to your doctor about folic acid.

Thanks

Hi Brittany,
    It's good to see you back again, and I'm glad that your little one is doing so well.
    I've been taking Plaquenil for two years. It's a good drug, and it helps.
    I can't take any steroid, since I have Avascular Necrosis. It would disintegrate my bones.
    I take .5 ml of Methotrexate weekly by injection. The pill form made me very sick. I tolerate the
    injections fairly well. I take it on Sunday evening, so that I sleep through the worst of the nausea.
    I feel a bit nauseous for half the day on Monday, but I'm better for the rest of the week.
    Good luck!
    Hugs,
    Marla

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hi Brittany,

It's so good to see you on here. I guess I was confused because for some reason I thought this pregnancy was with your 2nd child. Anyway - great news on the doc. She sounds very proactive and accessible. I can't really answer your other questions but I am glad to see you around here again.

Sandy
    As long as this body works, I am going to enjoy life to the fullest for each second of every moment that I can.

Thanks

Actually Sandy this IS my 2nd. My first is a boy and he is going to be 4 in June! Getting so big on me! Thanks to all for the replies *hugs* -Lupie Britt
    Plaquenil-200mg 2x/day
    Prednisone-7.5mg 1x/day
    Keppra-750mg 2x/day
    Daily Vitamin-1x/day
    Folic Acid- 1mg 1x/day
    Protonix 40mg 1x/day
    Vit. D 800IU's 1x/day
    Lyrica- 75mg 1x/day

*Lord_Walters_Lady* <3

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mommyof1 View Post
    Actually Sandy this IS my 2nd. My first is a boy and he is going to be 4 in June! Getting so big on me! Thanks to all for the replies *hugs* -Lupie Britt
    LOL! So some sort of real fact got through to my brain - a miracle! LOL.
    As long as this body works, I am going to enjoy life to the fullest for each second of every moment that I can.