Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Other religions/Your religions

Blog Entries
    Thanks

well i was brought up christian but i am bit of a mixture i believe that there is a god but i believe he comes to everyone in different ways in different religions or just throu people in our lives but i also am very spritual to i believe in guradian angels and that we can communicate with our loved ones in heaven! and i have actually only experienced it recently while i was away i came back from my holiday saturday and it was the 4 year anniversary of my dads death sunday and whilst we were i bleive my dad came to both to me and my partner on 2 seprarate occassions both at the same time early hours of the morning whilst i got up for a wee! first to my other half and then 2 days later to me! it was great so peaceful and heart warming know he was there with us!

but i also do believe there are people out there that use religion in a bad way interperating them to use in evil ways! so i try to keep myself to myself when it coems to religion each to thier own and all xx

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tgal View Post
    I have not commented on this thread because, as was said in the above post, bringing religion to the table can cause war. I have decided that I will post now because those that like me will continue to do so if their feelings were real and those that don't most likely didn't to start with.

I am a preachers kid so I was born and raised in the Christian religion. I can argue/debate it as well as almost anyone however I am not Christian. I am what most call Agnostic and what some call weak Atheist. I do not believe that there is proof either way of a higher being so I can't believe nor disbelieve. Atheist, in its true meaning, simply means a non Theist or a non God Follower. Since the majority of people that use the term Atheist state that there isn't a God I don't use the original term because that does not describe me. I just don't believe that it has, or can be, proven so I use the word Agnostic.

As Rob and Marla already mentioned I have no tolerance for stupidity such as those that say we shouldn't say Merry Christmas or sing traditional Christmas songs because they contain the word Savior. I would never look down on someone that says they are going to pray for me anymore then I would if they said they would cross their fingers or send out good vibes. I dislike the types of "non Christians" as much as I dislike the Christians (and every other religion) that spew hatred in the name of what they believe. I believe in "paying it forward". I believe that if I do good then it will come back to me as long as I am not doing it for that reason. I believe that goodness and kindness should be a part of all of our lives, not because we get something better when we die but because it makes our lives better while we are here. I believe that there is good in people if we really look for it but if we look for the bad we will find that instead. Too many people have died in the name of religions of all kinds and I, for one, am tired of the killing and the hatred. If there is a God then he goes by many names and no one religion has a monopoly on him/her.

I do, however, have complete and total respect for people who live what they believe even when it is not easy. I don't have to agree with someone to respect their beliefs and to love them as people. I will never try and make someone walk a path that their beliefs don't allow and I expect the same. Live and let live is the best way to explain my beliefs. I personally believe that the world would be a much better place if everyone lived that way no matter what their own belief system is.

That is just my own 2cents worth on the topic. Hugs to you all
    You go girl I am the same way, someone wants to pray for me I am fine with that. I listen to country music and you know what the sing LOL. You said it all I don't care what anyone believes. that doesn't make a person. I am very proud to be in this group that doesn't shy away there true self. I even say marry Christmas I know jaw droping Hugs to you all
    Liz

Thanks

Hi everyone. I believe that JESUS is the Son of GOD (the Creator of all heaven and earth). I believe that JESUS was born of a virgin, was crucified for our sins, was buried and on the third day (after His crucifixion), He rose again and is now in Heaven sitting on the right hand of GOD the Father.
    I believe the Bible is the inspired Word of GOD.
    I believe that GOD is omnipresent, omniscient, and omnipotent.
    I believe GOD is the POWER over all POWER.
    I believe JESUS is coming again to take believers back to heaven with HIM.
    I was brought up in church and I strayed for a long time but thank GOD HE forgave me and now I live for HIM.
    I sometimes have a hard time dealing with the symptoms of Lupus, but I believe that my triumphs are being used as a testimony for others.
    I believe that there is a heaven and that there is a hell and a lake of fire for those who don't choose JESUS as Lord and Savior (please note that I am NOT judging anybody here. I am simply stating what I believe).
    This is me. Thanks for listening.
    "If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change" (Wayne Dyer)

Thanks

OK, now I am even MORE impressed with this group. I avoided even reading this for a few days because I didn't want to read a bunch of Bible thumping. How amazing that people with such diverse beliefs can come together and respect one another! What interests me most is that the people who have replied to this post are really very open to other people's beliefs, no matter what their own are. I probably have the most in common with Bunny28, but there were parts of every post that reflect my views. As a nurse, I cannot help but be amazed at the complexity of the human body, and the universe and don't believe that it was some cosmic accident. I believe in a power much greater than us all and that when we die, we are absorbed into that energy, but remain individuals.

My world view of spirituality also comes from growing up on the Navaho Reservation in New Mexico. When you visit those ancient communities, you can feel the spirits of those who walked before you. I have tried all flavors of Christianity and am fed up with the judgement attitudes that allow some people to claim God loves them best - and then those same people scream and yell about paying for programs to take care of the sick and the poor. To me the holiest people are those who love unconditionally and give of themselves - and those values can exist in people of any spiritual bent, including agnostics and athiest (as proven by this forum).

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Gizmo For This Useful Post:

tgal (05-29-2011)

Thanks

I am so very new to this post so tentative to speak but feel compelled to do so. I have been without God and have walked with Him. Walking with Him is far sweeter. I am Christian and loved on by many. When I am at my weakest moments, I have never felt alone. This is important as I live alone. I don't bible thump. I just love in the deepest way I can.

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,211 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lovedbyHim View Post
    I am so very new to this post so tentative to speak but feel compelled to do so. I have been without God and have walked with Him. Walking with Him is far sweeter. I am Christian and loved on by many. When I am at my weakest moments, I have never felt alone. This is important as I live alone. I don't bible thump. I just love in the deepest way I can.
    First let me say that new or not you became a part of the family as soon as you joined. No need to worry about what you say. You are answering the question put out there for all of us. You have as much right to answer it as anyone else. Although I am always proud of this place this thread has made me even more proud. So many different ideas about faith and not one fight. You can't say that in post places.

So, I say again, don't be worried about what you say. As long as we respect each other it is all good. We are really glad that you joined our family
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

8. The Following User Says Thank You to tgal For This Useful Post:

SandyR (06-01-2011)

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

One thing I learned in the military, is that when the chips are down, and things go from bad to worse, it makes no difference who the guy fighting next to you is. Differences in religion, race, cultural differences, all of that becomes irrelevant. Facing a common enemy can bring together the most diverse group of people imaginable, and make them one. I think that's what is going on here with us.

And if there's any good to come from fighting an enemy, be it in a war, or fighting a disease like Lupus, it's that the ability of a diverse group to come together fighting as one is such a powerful thing, that it tends to stay with you throughout life, and you find yourself open to other people, their ideas, religions, and cultures in ways you never could have imagined before. I call it "Enlightenment by Fire".

Lupus is our common enemy, and we face it together here.

Rob
    Last edited by rob; 06-01-2011 at 06:41 AM.

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to rob For This Useful Post:

Deemarie1223 (08-23-2012), magistramarla (06-04-2011), MorrisonGal (08-25-2012), Peridot20_Gem (06-18-2011), steve.b (06-01-2011), tgal (06-01-2011)

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,211 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rob View Post
    One thing I learned in the military, is that when the chips are down, and things go from bad to worse, it makes no difference who the guy fighting next to you is. Differences in religion, race, cultural differences, all of that becomes irrelevant. Facing a common enemy can bring together the most diverse group of people imaginable, and make them one. I think that's what is going on here with us.

And if there's any good to come from fighting an enemy, be it in a war, or fighting a disease like Lupus, it's that the ability of a diverse group to come together fighting as one is such a powerful thing, that it tends to stay with you throughout life, and you find yourself open to other people, their ideas, religions, and cultures in ways you never could have imagined before. I call it "Enlightenment by Fire".

Rob
    Well said my friend. Well said!
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I've been reading this thread for quite a while, but have not posted until now. I guess I was trying to think how to say it.

I believe in God. God is there; no matter how you think of him - nature, karma, "the force", fate or whatever. It doesn't matter what you call him. I feel that as long as you are open to Him and talk with Him and believe - it's okay. I don't think you need to go to church; but it helps you to go - emotionally mentally and physically. Churches are man's version of religion; men, so-called inspired men at that, make the rules. I have always felt that their rules are the power of their hierarchy. I happen to go to a Catholic church because that's where I feel comfortable. There are rules that I don't agree with. Bible thumpers have driven my son from formal religion. I dislike these people who push their religion on others - but I will pray for them and hope that the Holy Spirit visits them and they come to understand that they do more harm than good.
    As man gains knowledge and moves forward to space, we find that the old rules can't work. the new rules don't seem to work either. Rules are the downfall of religion.

As other have said, these are my beliefs and I do not push them on others; I merely state them.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Nonna For This Useful Post:

tgal (06-14-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rob View Post

Rob
    Rob,

What a great example of what you've said...it's surprising in life what things can draw people together until the situation arises.