Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Other religions/Your religions

Thanks

Default Other religions/Your religions

I've noticed in my short time here that the majority of members seem to be Christian, or at least identify with some Christian branch. I was just curious if there are other religions on this forum. As for myself, I am a proud Wiccan!

Also, how does your religion, or spirituality, help you with your illness?

Hope I'm not being too invasive. :]
    Much love,
    pisces_music_girl

Nuerofibromitosis Type One, ca. 1997
    Panic Disorder & Depressive Disorder
    Whatever is currently ailing me hasn't been diagnosed, but I have faith.

"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose, and you ain't nothing hon' if you ain't free," - Janis Joplin, Me And Bobby McGee

2. The Following User Says Thank You to pisces_music_girl For This Useful Post:

lizbond36 (05-11-2011)

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

Hi,

I think most people here are Christian, but I do know a couple of people who are Muslim, and at least one Buddhist. Of course, all are welcome here. As for me, I'm an Atheist. But I'm not one of those intolerant Atheists who wants to get rid of eveything that mentions God. I love nativity scenes, Christmas, and when at somebody's house for dinner I bow my head when they say grace out of respect for them and their beliefs. I'm very much a live and let live kind of person.

What's involved with being a Wiccan? I don't really know much about that.

Rob

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I'm Christian. I really don't label myself past that point since I am not a church goer and have issues with some ideals of Catholosism (I'm sure I spelled that wrong). I've been to many kinds of churches - Catholic, Methodist, Baptist, Unitarian - as a practicing member and visited many other kinds of worship houses over the years. Even knew a little bit about Wicca at one time and have some Wiccan friends. I have family that is Jewish and have been to temple for some occasions for them and for friends as well. Some of my family is Atheist some Agnostic. Basically we are like the UN of religions. I also live in an area where there is every religion imaginable practiced - right outside of NYC. To me, I don't feel the need for a deeper level of labeling because so many ideals are similar - one higher being, sense of some sort of existance out side of this plane of life, sense of there being a distinction of right and wrong, sense of a soul. To me, these are the important things. I am very faithful in that I do believe in God and that helps me because I feel like there is a purpose to having to deal with this, I just don't understand what that purpose is but to me it has something to do with evolving on a spiritual level in this life so that in the next life I can lead a better, more spiritual, life. I firmly believe that God doesn't give us more than He knows we can handle and that He will often test our resolves and spirit and faith by giving us some sort of trial to deal with. I think that these tests and trials often have a purpose we don't learn of until we have complete the test or journey of life. Sometimes it's just to become more compassionate to others like us. Sometimes it's to have more patience for those different than us. Sometimes it is just to prepare us for something that is coming ahead that we can't see yet. I talk to God every day. I think I hear Him talking back to me on occassion, when I am very good at listening with my mind and my heart as well as my ears. I think that God has carried me through many tough times and has always been the one there for me even when I thought I stood alone. I have great respect for other religions. I don't believe in trying to convert someone to my ways. I have no proof that my religion is more right or wrong than theirs. I have often said prayers here for people not of the same religion and I hope they all were taken with the love and respect they were given and were not seen as insults to anyone. I'm babbling on and on but I hope somehow that I did answer your question.
    As long as this body works, I am going to enjoy life to the fullest for each second of every moment that I can.

Thanks

Well, rob, I could sit here and list the twelve priciples of Wicca that were agreed upon by the Council of American Witches (here's a link to them). But instead, I'm going to tell you what I believe. I do not speak for all Wiccans, Pagans, or Neopagans and nor do I pretend to know everything.

Wicca is a nature-based religion, and it is a modern interpertation of the old pagan religions. I worship the God and the Goddess, as I believe that there are two aspects to divinity- male and female. I follow the cycle of the moon and attune myself to its energy. When it waxes, I focus on adding positive things to my life, and when it wanes, I banish the negative things (like pain!). On full moons, I perform a small ritual outside where I thank the God and Goddess and ask them to "light my path with the brilliance of the moon and the glory of the sun". In addition, I follow the larger waxing-and-waning cylce of the season. Our holidays are harvest-based.

The reason why I'm not a pagan is because I actually do practice Witchcraft. Now the biggest "principle" or "rule" is to never, ever be manipulative. That means love spells. I don't perform them, ever. I do perform blessings, and the spells I have cast successfully have worked almost immediately. Here's the way I look at it: magick is my form of prayer. It's how I communicate best with the God and Goddess, the Universe At Large, and all the energies within.

Hope I answered some questions!
    Last edited by pisces_music_girl; 04-06-2011 at 01:11 PM. Reason: Added link
    Much love,
    pisces_music_girl

Nuerofibromitosis Type One, ca. 1997
    Panic Disorder & Depressive Disorder
    Whatever is currently ailing me hasn't been diagnosed, but I have faith.

"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose, and you ain't nothing hon' if you ain't free," - Janis Joplin, Me And Bobby McGee

Thanks

Hey Rob,
    I thought that you and I seem to think alike. Your post describes me, too.
    Pisces,
    I studied a lot about the ancient Celtic beliefs and the Egyptian beliefs when I was teaching Latin.
    The Romans often incorporated parts of the religions that they encountered into their own beliefs.
    I find it all really fascinating.
    Hugs,
    Marla

Thanks

A very interesting topic.

Thanks for the candid explanation of your definition of being wiccan.

Thanks for all who shared.

I identify myself as more spiritual than religious. I was raised in what I consider a progressive christian church (not catholic ) and I guess more of my belief system still comes from there. I was however always encouraged to find a religion or "church" that "spoke" to me. My parents fully encouraged me to visit multiple churches/religious ceremonies (though there wasn't much variety where I grew up, but more later). My husband and I believe strongly in the power and wonder of nature. He was raised in the same type of church as I was though our experiences still varies, then at university, he studied many religions of the world and shaped his personal views, I think. I will likely introduce many different ideas to my son and hope that he finds some combination of them that brings him comfort and strength.

For me one of the purposes of religion, is that in time of hardship as well as times of wonder, we can find comfort and strength. I think it is also important to know that there is something greater than ourselves.

Formal religion once played a very significant role in moral education. I find that has changed somewhat in this fast-paced world but the basic concepts of love, understanding, forgiveness are things that should help to make the world a better place for people of every belief system.

Thanks

Well i'm also a christian but can't stand going into churches as a rush of coldness and being uncomfortable goes through me.

So that's why i don't bother with religion at all.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Peridot20_Gem For This Useful Post:

blackeight (08-24-2012)

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I consider myself a Christian. I believe in God and I believe God would send his son to earth. I also believe there is more to it than the bible tells us. I don't follow mainstream Christianity and I CANNOT stand "biblethumpers". I've had too many interactions with people who claim to be so blasted Christian, yet say and do things that go against what Christianity teaches us. Hypocrites! I believe our pets are with us in Heaven, otherwise it wouldn't be such a great place would it? Not without our beloved and faithful friends. I believe in miracles. I've witnessed too many not to including my premature son's birth and growth (2 lb 11 oz, now a perfect 22 year old expecting his own first child!) I believe in Karma, you sew what your reap, what you put into the world comes back to you or whatever else you want to call it. I believe in Guardian Angels and I believe I've met mine. I believe there is only one true God, but he goes by many names and yes, I believe God is a man for if God was a woman, MEN would have cramps, not women. I believe in Heaven and Hell and I believe that my life after my death is going to be wonderful and no lupus allowed!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to ruziska For This Useful Post:

SandyR (05-12-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pisces_music_girl View Post
    I've noticed in my short time here that the majority of members seem to be Christian, or at least identify with some Christian branch. I was just curious if there are other religions on this forum. As for myself, I am a proud Wiccan!

Also, how does your religion, or spirituality, help you with your illness?

Hope I'm not being too invasive. :]

Hello there I am a wiccan/pagan for 20 years, I don't bring my religion to the table because it can cause war LOL. Nice to meet you

13. The Following User Says Thank You to lizbond36 For This Useful Post:

SandyR (05-12-2011)

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,742 Times in 1,211 Posts

I have not commented on this thread because, as was said in the above post, bringing religion to the table can cause war. I have decided that I will post now because those that like me will continue to do so if their feelings were real and those that don't most likely didn't to start with.

I am a preachers kid so I was born and raised in the Christian religion. I can argue/debate it as well as almost anyone however I am not Christian. I am what most call Agnostic and what some call weak Atheist. I do not believe that there is proof either way of a higher being so I can't believe nor disbelieve. Atheist, in its true meaning, simply means a non Theist or a non God Follower. Since the majority of people that use the term Atheist state that there isn't a God I don't use the original term because that does not describe me. I just don't believe that it has, or can be, proven so I use the word Agnostic.

As Rob and Marla already mentioned I have no tolerance for stupidity such as those that say we shouldn't say Merry Christmas or sing traditional Christmas songs because they contain the word Savior. I would never look down on someone that says they are going to pray for me anymore then I would if they said they would cross their fingers or send out good vibes. I dislike the types of "non Christians" as much as I dislike the Christians (and every other religion) that spew hatred in the name of what they believe. I believe in "paying it forward". I believe that if I do good then it will come back to me as long as I am not doing it for that reason. I believe that goodness and kindness should be a part of all of our lives, not because we get something better when we die but because it makes our lives better while we are here. I believe that there is good in people if we really look for it but if we look for the bad we will find that instead. Too many people have died in the name of religions of all kinds and I, for one, am tired of the killing and the hatred. If there is a God then he goes by many names and no one religion has a monopoly on him/her.

I do, however, have complete and total respect for people who live what they believe even when it is not easy. I don't have to agree with someone to respect their beliefs and to love them as people. I will never try and make someone walk a path that their beliefs don't allow and I expect the same. Live and let live is the best way to explain my beliefs. I personally believe that the world would be a much better place if everyone lived that way no matter what their own belief system is.

That is just my own 2cents worth on the topic. Hugs to you all
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

15. The Following User Says Thank You to tgal For This Useful Post:

SandyR (05-12-2011)