Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Support for our supporters?

Thanks

Default Support for our supporters?

My husband and I have been searching unsuccessfully for a support group for spouses, significant others and family members of people with lupus. I was wondering if any of you know of one or maybe we could all rally together and get our supports some support like we all have in each other. While our loved ones are not directly dealing with the physical symptoms of lupus, they feel the pain of lupus on an almost daily basis. They see us suffer, but they just have to sit back and watch it. There isn't much they can do to alleviate our suffering, and I know that must take a toll on them, and they need a place to vent just like we do.

Thanks for your help in advance,
    Amanda

Thanks

Bump...anyone?

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,742 Times in 1,211 Posts

Hi There! I am sorry that I missed this the first time around! There is a section in our forum for family members to get together but I must say that it hasn't been too successful as of yet. I think what it needs is someone to respond when people post something because if it has that people are more likely to call back.

Maybe some other members will have other/better ideas. Let's see what we can do!
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

Thanks

That's not a bad idea, but I was thinking a group completely separate from ours so they can be completely candid in order to get the most benefit from the group.

Thanks

I understand what you are getting at. My husband and I are members on the Peyronies site. Physically, it only affects men, but we wives needed to be able to vent with each other without the men reading our vents. The site administrator set up a "for women only" section to which only the wives were given "the keys".
    I don't know whether such a thing could be done here. That would be a question for our dear administrator, Conrad.
    Hugs,
    Marla

6. The Following User Says Thank You to magistramarla For This Useful Post:

adl011 (03-29-2011)

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,742 Times in 1,211 Posts

I will pass this on to Carlotta and Rob. That is a very good point and we will see what comes of it!
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

8. The Following User Says Thank You to tgal For This Useful Post:

adl011 (03-29-2011)

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by adl011 View Post
    Bump...anyone?
    I've been thinking about this thread since you first posted it. The pro's are that yes, our supporters could indeed benefit from being able to have some support from others in their position, and should be given an opportunity to do that if possible. The con's in my opinon are twofold-The big one is that we just don't have a significant number of family members who sign up here in the first place. And, some members here might not want their family members on the same forum with them for personal reasons. What I mean is, there are some people here who feel this is a safe place to unload their true feelings about people in their lives, often times those people are family members.

What you propose adl11, is a good idea, I'm just not sure how to do it at this point-that doesn't mean it can't be done though. This thread/idea has been brought to the attention of Saysusie and Conrad, so lets see what they think, and if they have any ideas about how we could do this.

Rob

10. The Following User Says Thank You to rob For This Useful Post:

SandyR (03-30-2011)

Thanks

Rob, I don't think it'd really be the best idea to have our loved ones on here either. I was really thinking about something separate for them bc like you said, its nice to be able to express our true feelings without hurting anyone. Thanks for the input thus far.

Amanda

Blog Entries
    Thanks

maybe a you can start a fb group. I know there's a WHL page on there but I don't belong to that because I don't want all 400 people on my FB account knowing my personal business. It could be a supporters page and maybe you can post a link here and on the FB page. There are tons of Lupus sites on FB too and you can also post a supports and spouses page on their sites.
    As long as this body works, I am going to enjoy life to the fullest for each second of every moment that I can.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to SandyR For This Useful Post:

adl011 (03-30-2011)

Thanks

Sandy, that's a great idea. You know, as much as im on facebook, you'd think I would have already thought to look up lupus pages, but I never have. I'll have to see if my phone app will let me. Thanks!