Thread: any suggestions plz??

Thanks

Default any suggestions plz??

hello everyone!
    i have this biology presentation (i am a freshman) and i thought i could talk 2 ppl about lupus since almost no one knows about it and that pisses me off..esp. when my friends say 'you don't look sick'..
    anyway..i don't know what exactly should be the focus of my presentation..do i just tell them about it? and i want to know which type of SLE is the most common? i know it's my work..lol but i waz just wonderin if u have any suggestions to help me out..
    thnx and my best wishes for u all
    dina
    I was diagnosed with lupus nephritis, confirmed by bloodwork and kidney biopsy, and mild lupus cerebritis (epileptiform) in June 2004.
    Medications: CellCept, Prednisone; Phenytoin; Lipitor; Zestril, Norvasc; Aranesp (darbepoetin alfa).

Thanks

Hi dandoon 88! Sounds like your chance to make a point! I'm not the most creative person in the world, but if I had to guess, I might go with the theme of Lupus being so extremely complex and complicated that's why people have said "You don't know medicine, unless you know lupus" (Or something like that.) It's also referred to as the great imitator, many things having to be ruled out and that it usually takes a great deal of time to get dx'd. I wish you luck with your presentation. Hopefully, others will have some great ideas for you. Make it personal, tell your story. Let us know how it goes!

Mitch

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hi Dandoon;
    Mitch had an excellent point. May I add to what you've already expressed. The "You Don't Look Sick" syndrome. I would suggest that you hit that one pretty hard. Explain that Lupus is a systemic disease and that (outside of the dermatalogical manifestations) most of the symptoms are internal as they are the damage that the disease does to our internal organs and, unless we walk around with X-rays, we cannot show that damage to the world. But, the world can see our fatigue, they can see our depression, they can see our hair loss etc. etc.
    Also, you could talk about the fact that there are still too many doctors who do not know enough about the disease and who, therefore, dismiss us when we come to them with our symptoms. The lack of eductaion about Lupus is astounding and it complicates our treatment and results in the lack of research!!
    Good Luck on your project :lol:

Saysusie

Thanks

thnxx for the advice.. your words are soo supportive
    i'll work as hard as i could to get OUR message across..and i'll tell you how it goes
    take care

dina
    I was diagnosed with lupus nephritis, confirmed by bloodwork and kidney biopsy, and mild lupus cerebritis (epileptiform) in June 2004.
    Medications: CellCept, Prednisone; Phenytoin; Lipitor; Zestril, Norvasc; Aranesp (darbepoetin alfa).

Thanks

A great reference book (if you have access to it) is The Lupus Book by Daniel J. Wallace, M.D. It definitely made me a smarter person concerning my disease.