Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First time in my life; felt like I would faint

Thanks

Default First time in my life; felt like I would faint

Hi all!
    I am not sure if this is related to my lupus or not but something strange happened this morning.

I had to run from one end of the building of work (up and down a level too) 3 times in a 10 min period. I wasn't literally running but I was trying to walk sort of quickly. Anyway, I ended up out of breath by the second time which left me breathing heavily on the second trip (The whole third trip was due to a mental fog of getting somewhere with the wrong set of keys!). I used to run long distance (even a marathon) so this is not an activity level that should have been "too much for me" though this is not the first time that trips up and down stairs have bothered me in the last few months.

Anyway, I am rambling....by the time I got back upstairs, I honestly though I was going to pass out. My vision was blurrry, my head dizzy and foggy, I guess. I thought I might fall over. I called a co-worker to tell them as we each work in separate rooms and I wanted someone to know what I was feeling. I didn't pass out but it took about 30 min for me to not feel really weak and sick to my stomach. Since then I have had a really sharp pain in my head (forehead region). I am still having trouble focusing on things for long.

I don't honestly know if this was anything but it scared me. SO I figured there were no better people to ask than all of you...Has anyone ever experienced anything like this? Is this what normal "feeling faint" is like? Is this something I need to watch myself for and advise my family of, etc?

Thanks in advance
    Bunny

Thanks

Update it is 4 hours later and I still feel terrible. My head aches like a freight train is driving through it, I feel nauseous and dizzy. I am going straight home after work (not that I am getting much done now) but I can't even focus. I wish I knew what as going on.

Thanks

Bunny,
    Have you ever had a migraine headache? Some of those symptoms sound like it.
    You might want to check with your doc, just in case there is something more serious going on.
    Hugs,
    Marla

Thanks

Thanks Marla - I actually get migraine headaches up to five times a week...this was completely different from the way I normally feel.

The day just went downhill from there I guess. I ended up with thumping chest pain and a racing heartrate while still at work which were accompanied by gray, ashen face colour, that sharp, sharp pain in just one part of my forehead, incredible fatigue and body weakness, chills and shaking. The nausea continued as well.

A co-worker actuallly took me to an urgent care centre (all I wanted to do was go home)...the doctor was very thorough. My vitals were pretty good so he did some neurological tests and also ordered an ECG and chest x-ray to rule out some of the chest pain that I was feeling. I felt sort of silly through it all but was feeling so rotten that I didn't totally care either. I was just wanting to rule out the really scary stuff as I do know that I have never felt anything like this before...which sounds ridiculous since so many of the symptoms by name are like a migraine. Something was absolutely not "right" with me.

Good news is that all my tests were normal...he isn't sure why I reacted. He did say it may have been an atypical migraine or just some other sign my body was trying to give me some type of signal. I will be off work tomorrow and am supposed to follow up with my docs soon.

Sorry to complain about my little issues but the fainting feeling was something completely new for me...as was the racing pulse/chest pain/headache later.

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,211 Posts

You are NOT complaining! Haven't you notice that what we do here is talk ? LOL OK, to more serious discussion:

I am really glad that you went to see someone! Getting light headed can happen for many reasons and I think the ER doc hit the nail on the head when he said it could be your body sending a message. This IS something you need to talk to your doctor about. Too often we ignore things as "silly" or "trivial" and we ignore them (personal responsibility taken on this one!) What I have learned is that nothing with the head or chest can be dismissed. Although I am not a doctor the face color makes me think there was a lung issue at the time. If there is a lack of blood flow the face gets that gray color.

I am glad that you are off tomorrow. I don't care how many things you "need" to get done tomorrow; don't! Tomorrow needs to be a day for you to rest and take care of yourself. I have to do the same so maybe we can meet up and visit in chat
    "
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

Blog Entries
    Thanks

If I am working around the house and get to doing too much to fast If I bend down to pick up something or load my dishwasher I will feel very lightheaded. If I am in the heat of the AZ sun I will feel like I am going to pass out. So I keep reminding myself to be careful and pay more attention to what I am doing.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I definitely agree; your body is sending a message; I also think Mari is right; you need to ask about blood flow and oxygen levels. I get the same reaction when I overdo physically I can't breathe and the headache is intense.

You need to speak with the dr regarding this reaction

feel better and rest
    Last edited by Nonna; 03-24-2011 at 05:52 PM.

Thanks

Did you see the news reporter on TV recently who suddenly started speaking gibberish and swooned? The docs said that she had an atypical migraine.
    The ER doc may have been right when he suggested that.
    Take care of yourself tomorrow.
    Hugs,
    Marla

Thanks

Thanks everybody. I am off today...I still have a headache/upset stomach but I feel much better. I plan to take some of my migraine meds and go back to bed.

Unfortunately, we had a death in the family yesterday that we found out about after I posted last night. Needless to say the night wasn't as restful as it might have been. Anyway, husband/son are gone for the day now so I will take advantage of the quiet house.

I will chat with my doctor as the gray skin colour is what scared my co-worker. She and I have been good friends/former roommates for 15 years and she has never seen me look that way.

I guess part of me just wondered if "having lupus" I just had to put up with some things like this. Today I am glad I had the tests. At least I know that my vitals were good, the organs they checked were all heathy....Better to knot that then to worry all day today wondering. I should be fine now with some rest but the doc made me promise I would go back in if any of certain symptoms got worse, and I will.

Thanks again.
    Bunny

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,617 Times in 1,107 Posts

the "gray skin" hit a trigger with me.

I also go grey, when i overwork myself.

in my case it is a side effect of the lupus, for me the lupus mainly effects my blood. the grey is a lack of good clean, oxygen carrying blood, when i need it.

if it is the same with you .... it is not a bad as it appears to everyone looking at you.

it is your body telling you to rest, as it cannot sustain the level of activity.

if you listen, nothing will go wrong, keep up the pace and your body will try to shut down... (you will faint), and then have to slow down.

life is fun with lupus .......... NOT

11. The Following User Says Thank You to steve.b For This Useful Post:

bunny28 (03-25-2011)