Thread: Is this part of lupus?

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Default Is this part of lupus?

Today, while doing nothing out of the ordinary, my right pinkie went numb. So numd that I stuck it with a needle and felt nothing. The numbness went up the right side of my hand to my wrist and lasted almost 20 minutes. Is this part of the trials and tribulations of having lupus? Ihave never experienced anything like it before.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

ruziska,

I think a lot of us have dealt w/numbness at some point or another. I know someone will come along and be able to give you all the "technical jargon" on what causes it, cuz I can't remember right now. I get numbness, or the numbies as I call it, off and on in varying parts of my body. Somedays it will be my feet, sometimes my hands, sometimes just a spot on my face or my whatever. LOL I know I've had testing done at the neurologist for it which turned up nothing. I would definitely talk to your doc about it next time you go in.
    Lauren

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,211 Posts

Hi there! I hesitate to say that something is " a lupus issue" because Lupus is different in each person however many people with Lupus get a numbness/tingling feeling in different parts of the body. The fingers and toes are the most common and there is a wide range of reasons that it happens. It can be caused by Raynaud's Syndrome, from arteries that are inflamed and blood is not flowing through as it should and possible neuropathy to name a few. It is something that you should bring up to your doctor because he may want to change your meds or add/subtract some.

Now, having given you the technical info... isn't it freaky when it happens?
    Last edited by tgal; 03-23-2011 at 09:34 AM.
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,611 Times in 1,103 Posts

yes, many of us get this numbness.

i get it in my hands the most.

i agree that it is worth talking to your doctor. medication can help, some people.

Thanks

Hi ruziska,

The numbness can come from several forms,

Lupus/Raynauds disease/nervous system and also if you have diabetes and don't know if you have it or not.

I've got raynauds and Lupus and could chop one of my fingers off due to not feeling it half the time, yet in the winter it gives so much pain and tingling. xxx

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Lupus is only one of many connective tissue diseases disorders that can cause peripheral neuropathy (as well as diabetes) and lead to paresthesia (tingling, prickling, numbness). Paresthesia caused by peripheral neuropathy may also be accompanied by pain.
    Peripheral neuropathy
    is a problem with the nerves that carry information to and from the brain and spi al cord to the rest of the body. This can produce pain, loss of sensation(numbness/tingling), and an inability to control muscles.* Peripheral" means nerves further out from the center of the body, distant from the brain and spinal cord (which are called the central nervous system)/

*Neuro" means nerves/
    *"Pathy" means abnormal.
    As is the case with many neuropathies, the sensation changes (numbness/tingling) usually begins in the toes and moves towards the center of the body. Other areas become involved as the condition gets worse.

Inflammatory and autoimmune conditions leading to neuropathy (such as Lupus) are usually treated with several types of medications incuding:
    Immunosuppressive drugs such as: Prednisone, Cyclosporine (Neoral, Sandimmune) and Imuran (Azathioprine).

It might be a good idea to bring these symptoms to the attention of your doctor so that the cause can be determined and treatment started.

Please let us know what you find out and how you are doing. I wish you the very best!

Peace and Blessings
    Namaste
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Saysusie For This Useful Post:

steve.b (03-25-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ruziska View Post
    Today, while doing nothing out of the ordinary, my right pinkie went numb. So numd that I stuck it with a needle and felt nothing. The numbness went up the right side of my hand to my wrist and lasted almost 20 minutes. Is this part of the trials and tribulations of having lupus? Ihave never experienced anything like it before.
    I have had the same numbness in my pinky, two years ago, also in my thumb, index finger and mittle finger.
    The doctor said that numbness in the pinky indicates a pinched ulnar nerve( it is in the elbow), numbness in the other fingers indicate carpal tunnel syndrom. So I had surgery, called cubital tunnel( elbow) and carpal tunnel in the hand, two years ago and all the numbness is gone. It is now starting in the other hand.
    This might be what you have.

Debbie
    I may have been dealt a bad hand, but at least I'm still playing with a full deck. ( most of the time anyway).

Thanks

Hi ruziska,

Did you see a doctor or anybody about the numbness and what was causing it just to make sure.