Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Homework and Brain Fog

Thanks

Unhappy Homework and Brain Fog

So I've missed around 2 weeks of school and have all this homework piling up but everytime I go to try to do it I cant even concentrate long enough to get anything done. I look at it and feel stupid because I don't understand what Im reading and have to read it multiple times when normally I would just have to read through once. I dont comprehend any of the book I'm reading for English, and Spanish? lol thats out of the question. I dont even understand the directions. Its really frustrating becaues its taking a lot more out of me than usual trying to get any of my homework done, and it doesnt help that Im two weeks behind. Suggestions?
    "A bad cold wouldn't be so annoying if it weren't for the advice of our friends."~ Kin Hubbard

Diagnosed: SLE, Raynauds, InterstitialLung Disease, GERD, Myositis, Vasculitis, Possible Sjogrens.
    Medications: 400mg Plaquenil, 2000mg Cellcept, 10mg Norvasc, Nitroglycerin Patch, 20mg Prilosec, 10mg Flexeril, 4mg Medrol, 81mg Asprin.

Thanks

Oh honey,

I do understand, I have a very physical, fast pace job, which I really can't do anymore ( sometimes I go to the bathroom and cry, because of pain and exhaustion). But because of the brain fog I can't get a new job. How am I going to learn everything about a new job, if I can't even remember my phone number some days or the names of my coworkers?
    I don't have any suggestions for you, but I know what you are talking about.
    Good luck Ritz.

Debbie
    I may have been dealt a bad hand, but at least I'm still playing with a full deck. ( most of the time anyway).

Thanks

Thanks. I dont know how to attempt to explain that to my teachers. I feel like they're going to think Im coming up with excuses for getting almost nothing done when I havent been to school in almost 2 weeks, other than that one day. I just cant do it and get frustrated and know that Im not getting anything out of it so I give up. Im not learning anything, and all this stuff I used to know like verb tenses in spanish have just gone out the window. I couldnt tell you what the first ten pages of this book Im reading in English were even about, much less can I analyze it for deeper meaning and symbolism and all that kind of stuff. My brain feels like mush and its driving me crazy because Im in all these hard classes and Im falling really far behind. I dont know what to do. =(
    "A bad cold wouldn't be so annoying if it weren't for the advice of our friends."~ Kin Hubbard

Diagnosed: SLE, Raynauds, InterstitialLung Disease, GERD, Myositis, Vasculitis, Possible Sjogrens.
    Medications: 400mg Plaquenil, 2000mg Cellcept, 10mg Norvasc, Nitroglycerin Patch, 20mg Prilosec, 10mg Flexeril, 4mg Medrol, 81mg Asprin.

Thanks

Ritz,
    Go talk to your counselor and tell her exactly what you just told us. If I were you, I'd print this page out and show it to her.
    Then, ask her to go with you to visit each one of your teachers to help you explain it to them. Once they understand what is going on and that you really want to do the work, but just need some extra help and time to do it, they should be willing to schedule some tutoring for you.

I had a student who was dealing with multiple illnesses and surgeries. She was like you - a brilliant girl who took AP classes, but was stuck in a weakened body.
    The district put her into a Homebound program for a while. I and some of her other teachers agreed to go to her home for tutoring sessions until we got her caught up.
    It helped her, and the district paid me extra to do it. Ask your counselor if this is possible in your district.

I'm rooting for you, sweetie. I know that you can do it. You feel overwhelmed right now, but just tackle it one piece at a time.
    Hugs and love,
    Marla

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to magistramarla For This Useful Post:

ritzbit (03-21-2011), steve.b (03-21-2011)

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,617 Times in 1,107 Posts

i also know how it feels.
    i gave up work and started on a pension, maily bercause of brain fog.
    i earn less in 2 weeks than i used to make in 1 day.

it is never easy, but marla has a good idea.
    try it ............... they might just understand.

thinking of you

Thanks

I emailed her basically what I said on here and asked her if she could have me come down to talk to her today. My nerves are shot I didnt get any sleep last night =( Last week I wanted to go back and today Im just dreading it because when I went that one day last week I realized how far behind I was in everything and I literally sat there in each class and had NO IDEA what we were talking about. And my spanish teacher was kind of making me mad because she kept saying things to me, in spanish, and I had to keep asking her to repeat what she said because I had no idea what she was saying and she kept asking "well dont you remember __?" fill in the blank. She told me what time I could leave for lunch because she was letting me go early so I could get down there in time and I had no idea what she said and she said "dont you remember your numbers? tell me what I just said" and this was in front of the class. And it took me forever and I felt stupid because thats something that should just come to me but it didnt. Its small annoying things like that that are getting to me right now.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ritzbit View Post
    I emailed her basically what I said on here and asked her if she could have me come down to talk to her today. My nerves are shot I didnt get any sleep last night =( Last week I wanted to go back and today Im just dreading it because when I went that one day last week I realized how far behind I was in everything and I literally sat there in each class and had NO IDEA what we were talking about. And my spanish teacher was kind of making me mad because she kept saying things to me, in spanish, and I had to keep asking her to repeat what she said because I had no idea what she was saying and she kept asking "well dont you remember __?" fill in the blank. She told me what time I could leave for lunch because she was letting me go early so I could get down there in time and I had no idea what she said and she said "dont you remember your numbers? tell me what I just said" and this was in front of the class. And it took me forever and I felt stupid because thats something that should just come to me but it didnt. Its small annoying things like that that are getting to me right now.
    ritzbitz - I am sorry today was so tough. I actually posted in one of your other threads an idea of going in with a note for the teachers that you could just hand them at the beginning of class saying something like "I have been absent for x amount of time due to a medical condition that I would like to discuss with you after class (or whatever time)...or if your counsellor could talk to them say "that my counsellor and I would like to tell you about". Please be patient with me as I am still not back to normal and things like focussing and remembering are tough for me right now. (concentrating works too).

I am a teacher and I know I would appreciate a heads up like this. I don't think your Spanish teacher meant to embarass you today. I suspect she was just frustrated and wasn't sure why you didn't remember/ how she was going to get you caught up. Sometimes teachers can make mistakes too. huge hugs...school is the least of your worries right now..I know it doesn't seem like it but first and foremost you need to look after the health issues and get yourself up to at least a manageable level again. Good luck and hang in there. Use your counsellor if you can to help back you up. Most of your teachers will have no idea what you are going through...YOu are not making excuses, you have a valid medical condition. Take care of yourself.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to bunny28 For This Useful Post:

ritzbit (03-21-2011)

Thanks

My teachers know I have lupus but they dont really understand it. They just saw me hobbling around then I wasn't there for a week. I emailed them a few times to let them know I still wouldn't be there and asked for them to send my work up to the office for someone to pick up but thats about the extent of their knowledge. I also told them I had the steroid infusions. I don't like trying to explain it to people because unless they were in my body they wouldnt understand how bad all these "small" things are. My dad doesnt even get it he keeps calling and getting on me to get my school work. He even said to me "why not work on spanish Im sure thats the easiest" I about to scream or hang up on him. He cares WAY to much about my grades. It made me really mad. It was maybe an hour after I was on here talking about how I was struggling most in spanish. Its just really frustrating. The only one who can almost understand is my mom. Its times like these that remind me how much I need her, she is the one who takes me to all my appointments and sticks up for me when my doctor is being stupid. Everyone else wants to blow off my symptoms and she listens. I need more people like that right now.

Thanks

I just found out I have a quiz tomorrow in my college class. I have friends in that class and have talked to them since the class when he told them and none of them bothered to tell me. More stress. Awesome. I don't even know what its over and he is a jerk and doesnt let you make things up. One of his really stupid rules. I just love failure.. About to rip my hair out.

Thanks

ritzbit - I understand the frustration. I cared a lot about school when I was in it (which was for a long time as I have several college diplomas/university degrees) and still do (lol). Of course your teachers don't understand...heck most of us don't fully understand this disease. Is there a way you could get a doctor's note to express your need for delays? I know explaining it in detail to the teachers would be hard...but rather than explain your exact symptoms, why not give them some information on the disease itself and all of the things it can affect.

I have found many good ressources online including descriptions of the disease/systemic involvement from lupus organizations, the spoon theory and another one which was a list of how this disease affects me. I can't post the one I like as I forgot its source but if I find it again I will. I found it explained so many of the things I think and feel. Maybe you can find something that you can give your teachers that explains it better than you could in words.

As for your quiz, I am sorry to hear it. Just do your best. Sometimes life is really unfair. Do what you havee to do for now and then try to better educate your teachers in the future.

Bunny