Thread: is benlysta safe/

Hybrid View

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,611 Times in 1,103 Posts

Default is benlysta safe/

i was passed a new article from a friend. it came from the health science institute.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lupus patients BEWARE! New drug could be a death sentence

The FDA just approved a drug for lupus patients despite the fact that it could be deadly.

Benlysta is the first new drug approved for treating lupus in 56 years--but it shouldn't have been. Because while study results "suggested, but did not definitively establish" that the drug might reduce severe flare-ups of disease symptoms, researchers reported a higher death rate in the patients taking Benlysta.

This comes straight off the FDA announcement: Those receiving Benlysta during clinical studies reported more deaths and serious infections compared with placebo.

The FDA approved this obviously dangerous and potentially deadly drug. Your doctor may recommend Benlysta. But you don't have to take it. Because as horrific as lupus symptoms can be, serious infections and death are worse.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

has anybody heard anything?

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,211 Posts

Can you get the link to this artical so we know if it came from a trusted source or if it is just prapagana? If it is true that is something everyone needs to know!
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

Sound like BS scare tactics used by the woo peddlers. Do you have a link to the original article Steve?

ETA-I found the website and report. Thanks for bringing this to our attention!
    Last edited by rob; 03-20-2011 at 08:42 AM.

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

Just like I thought-typical quotemined scaremongering bull from the snake oil peddlers. Here's the ENTIRE paragraph taken directly from the test conductors website-

Under the section titled Important Safety Information

"There were more deaths reported with bemilubab (Benlysta) than placebo during the controlled period of the clinical trials. Out of 2133 patients in 3 clinical trials, a total of 14 deaths occured during the placebo-controlled double-blind treatment periods: 3/675 (0.4%), 5/673 (0.7%), 0/111 (0%), and 6/674 (0.9%) deaths in the placebo, bemilubab 1 mg/kg, bemilubab 4 mg/kg, and bemilubab 10mg/kg groups, respectively. No single cause of death predominated. Etiologies included infection, cardiovascular disease, and suicide."

"No single cause of death predominated"-So in other words, 14 people, some who were already quite ill with long term and/or chronic diseases (cardiovascular disease does not develop overnight), died while PARTICIPATING in the clinical trials, including one who committed suicide. They all died from completely different reasons, only one of which could possibly be linked to the new drug (the person who died of infection). The frauds who market so called "natural lupus cures" would have you think that an unknown number of people died as a direct result of the new drug, when in reality only 1 person out of 2133 MIGHT HAVE died as a direct result of the new drug. A properly conducted clinical trial has to report any participant who dies while participating in the trials regardless of the cause of death, whether related to the drug being tested or not.

The extensive report goes on to list ALL of the possible dangers and side effects of the drug, including the distinct possibility of infection just like any other immunosupressive drug. It's not like they are trying to hide anything. There are no conspiratorial undertones. It's a straight up full disclosure report on a new drug that could hold a lot of promise for those of us with SLE, especially those who cannot take Plaquenil.

No drug is without side effects, and no drug is 100% safe, we all know that. But to label this new drug, which happens to be the first new SLE treatment approved in 56 years "A Death Sentence" when the clinical data obviously does not support that conclusion is dishonest, irresponsible, and frankly, just plain stupid.

Rob

ETA: Unlike the multilevel marketing company known as "The Health Sciences Institute", I'm posting the link to the ENTIRE clinical trial report so people can get ALL of the info and then make an educucated decision for themselves-

www.abthrax.com/latest/human-genome-sciences-and-glaxosmithkline-announce-fda-approval-of-benlysta-belimumab-for-treatment-of-systemic-lupus-erythema.html
    Last edited by rob; 03-20-2011 at 10:20 AM.

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,211 Posts

That is what I found as well, Rob. Thanks for taking the time to give us a heads up Steve! Thank you to Rob for getting to the bottom of it
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

Thanks

I talked to my doctor about Benlysta in the past few weeks while I've been sick and she said its very serious medicine. She told me that if these steroid treatments didnt help we would have to go to stronger, chemo drugs. When I mentioned Benlysta she said it was right up there with chemo drugs and if I ever needed to have that kind of medicine I would fall into the category of people who would be helped by Benlysta and she would put me into a trial for it.
    "A bad cold wouldn't be so annoying if it weren't for the advice of our friends."~ Kin Hubbard

Diagnosed: SLE, Raynauds, InterstitialLung Disease, GERD, Myositis, Vasculitis, Possible Sjogrens.
    Medications: 400mg Plaquenil, 2000mg Cellcept, 10mg Norvasc, Nitroglycerin Patch, 20mg Prilosec, 10mg Flexeril, 4mg Medrol, 81mg Asprin.