Thread: Tv show "Off The Map"

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Question Tv show "Off The Map"

Last night's episode featured a woman complaining of knee pain. While in the hospital her bp dropped because she had fluid around her lungs. She was initially admitted because she had a seizure. The diagnosis? Lupus. So I pose the question: do tv shows help or hurt? Do they properly present lupus accurately or screw it up? What are your thoughts?

Thanks

I don't know how accurate they are, but at least they are bringing some awareness about our AI issues.
    I've never watched House, but everyone talks about the fact that his favorite diagnosis is Lupus.
    It seems to be a sort of running joke on that show. I'm not sure whether that's good or bad for our cause.
    It will be interesting to see what others think.
    Hugs,
    Marla

3. The Following User Says Thank You to magistramarla For This Useful Post:

tgal (03-19-2011)

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I agree with you Marla I am not for sure if it is the right way to bring attention to Lupus it could scare someone newly diagnosed. Not everyone will have a seizure because they have Lupus so it is a little miss leading

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Before I was dx I watched house and he brought it up so often I eventually looked up what is was. I think it's good to bring attention to it at least to the point where someone is curious about it. It brings awareness. Every case of lupus is different so is there really a proper way to portray it?

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Since I'm stuck at home all day, I watch a lot of goofy tv. On America's Next Top Model, they have had several girls with Lupus on and while they don't overfocus on it, the message sent is "take your meds, get your rest, and live your life". Considering these are young women, actually, young or old, the message is very valid and empowering. Until I got my first malar rash, I never gave Lupus a thought. Now it seems to be everywhere! I'm still waiting for the big stories and awareness on Fibromyalgia. Honestly, it's caused me ten times the pain the Lupus has and it took every ounce of fight I had in me to get a doctor to work with me on it! Of course, now that the Lupus is progressing, my story is a little different but I am a big believer in awareness!

Blog Entries
    Thanks

They have had a few shows on mystery diagnosis about this. Bonita

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,211 Posts

It reminds me of what hollywood says about stars "all press is good press". I have to say that at least these shows talk about it. It brings the disease itself in to the vocabulary of the people that are watching the show. It may not be accurate but it is more then they here from any other source.
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~