Thread: Lupus and Chronic Fatigue

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Default Lupus and Chronic Fatigue

This is a very real symptom of Lupus which is often the MOST misunderstood by friends and family.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Fatigue is the most common complaint and one of the worst aspects of LUPUS. The cause of the fatigue is still unknown and it can persist in spite of treatment, normal antibodies and EVEN REMISSION! Some scientist think that the fatigue is the body's response to cytokines that are produced in many cells of the body...it is not known what causes the body to respond to cytokines by being fatigued (cytokines are small proteins that can either step up or step down the immune response. Some of the cytokeins are important in attracting other cells, particularly eosinophils, which then promote inflamation).
    Ther are no specific medical treatments to relieve fatigue. There are several drugs in development that appear to have some success in battling fatigue. These drugs include male hormones which may work to inhibit certain cytokines and, therefore, reduce fatigue. Some people find relief with corticosteroids and others finde treatment with newer drugs like anabolic steroids helpful.
    Fatigue is the body's way of saying that it needs rest and rest may be the only thing that really helps!!

Saysusie

Thanks

Default rest??

i don' t think i can have ample rest..i am a teacher and have 3 growing up daughters who need my full attention..and i have to do all the house chores..there was a time when i felt like fainting...
    Norolhuda

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Norolhuda;
    Are your children young? I mean, do they still take naps in the afternoon? Perhaps you can find a moment to rest when you put them down to rest.
    I know that it is very, very difficult when you have young children, a home to run and a job! But, it is also very important that you do find some ways to give your body a break - you need this in order for your body to recuperate and to alleviate stress!
    There are some very good sites on the internet that deal with chronic fatigue and some suggestions as to how you can fit productive rest periods into your day.
    www.chronicfatiguesolution.com
    www.cfids.org
    www.cdc.gov/ncidod/diseases/cfs

Best of Luck
    Saysusie

Thanks

Default Fatigue biggest issue

Im a 22 year old college student who has had lupus for almost six years now, and while everything is going well, there are still a few problems. My biggest is fatigue. I am tired all the time, and no one seems to understand. My family always yells at me for napping, but its hard to explain just how tired i am and how i cant help it. Its def frustrating.

Thanks

Default Fatigue biggest issue

Im a 22 year old college student who has had lupus for almost six years now, and while everything is going well, there are still a few problems. My biggest is fatigue. I am tired all the time, and no one seems to understand. My family always yells at me for napping, but its hard to explain just how tired i am and how i cant help it. Its def frustrating.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hi Haybee;
    Sounds like your family needs a little education about LUPUS and CFS (Chronic fatigue syndrome). Here is a good book for Lupus patients and their families:
    Coping With Lupus: A guide to living with Lupus for you and your family by Robert H. Phillips.
    Also, you can find information about Lupus and CFS on the web. Print out the information and let your family members read it.
    DO NOT stop taking your naps...they are essential for those of us who suffer with chronic fatigue as a result of Lupus or any other auto-immune disease. Taking your naps is one of the best things that you can do for yourself!!
    Best of Luck
    Saysusie