Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dental Care

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Talking Dental Care

I know a lot of us have issues with dental care - ie: candida, mouth ulcers, prone to infection/cavities, strawberry tongue, geographic tongue, etc. I have been dealing with an issue myself for the last 6 months or so that I can best describe as candida-like geographic tongue. It was really bothering me and grossing me out because it was beginning to affect my breathe, not that anyone else ever mentioned or even noticed, but to me it was disgusting. I mentioned it at my last hygenist appointment and my hygenist is great because her mother has the same autoimmune condition I have and she is very familiar with how AI's can impact oral health care. The first thing she asked me when I saw her is do I use a daily mouthwash to which I said yes and she then asked if it happened to be Listerine - yes again. I was told to stop using Listerine immediately. Apparantly the alchohol in the product was inviting this bacteria/fungus-like coating to thrive. I was really surprised at first because I would have thought the alchohol would have killed the germs but then she explained it's the alchohol sugars and the lightbulb in my head suddenly brightened. She put me on a 30 day oral probiotic routine and a weeklong mouth rinse and mentioned that crest pro-health mouth rinse would be better for me. The probiotic and weeklong rinse helped a little but weren't satisfying my need to have a pink healthy tongue and ulcer free gumline. This weekend I was in the store and remembered what she said about the crest pro-health mouth rinse and since it was on sale I bought some. Now those of you who know me on here pretty well know that I am not one to post a maybe-you-should-buy-this kind of thread and you also know I think that works well for one might not work for another so read my next words with that in mind. This mouth rinse is working! My tongue is pink. Tulips in the spring pink. My breathe is odor free, well except when I ate the garlicky chinese last night, lol. My gums cleared up in a weekend. This is to me a wonderful thing. So wonderful I had to share my experience with all of you. The first two days I used the mouth rinse I could actually see the coating that was on my tongue coming off. I was gross but I knew immediately it was working. If you decide to give this mouth rinse a try you should ask your dentist if it's good for you first but if they say yes you should also know that a few people have reported a slight darkening on their teeth. The crest website said this is in persons who had bacteria in their teeth and is prove that the rinse kills the bacteria and the staining is temporary. They say that this doesn't happen to those who don't have bacteria in their teeth.
    As long as this body works, I am going to enjoy life to the fullest for each second of every moment that I can.

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,211 Posts

OMG thank you for that info!! I use the same thing and I have that nasty coating on my tongue and I am going to give this a try! Thank you again!
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Does lupus cause teeth issues?? Such as cavities and things? I know the mouth ulcer can occur but I haven't experienced that yet but for the past year and a half I've been getting stupid cavities on my molers that I've never had before. I had my first cavity that needed to be fixed two years ago and have had three fillings since! I'm 23 and never had any issues before now with cavities and all of a sudden my mouth is full of them! Im not doing anything different the. I did before. I brush 2-3 times a day. I floss. Maybe not everyday but alot more frequently then I ever did before I started getting cavities! Anyways just wanted to know why and if maybe it can be related! I asked my dentist about it and of course he said that there isnt anything that would cause that except not brushing and flossing enough. But if that were the cause then I wouldn't be having this problem!!!

Blog Entries
    Thanks

There seems to be a link, at least one that is noticed among patients if not dentists, of people who are on certain medications like prednisone who have an increase in cavity production once on that med.
    As long as this body works, I am going to enjoy life to the fullest for each second of every moment that I can.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Toradoradi View Post
    Does lupus cause teeth issues?? Such as cavities and things? I know the mouth ulcer can occur but I haven't experienced that yet but for the past year and a half I've been getting stupid cavities on my molers that I've never had before. I had my first cavity that needed to be fixed two years ago and have had three fillings since! I'm 23 and never had any issues before now with cavities and all of a sudden my mouth is full of them! Im not doing anything different the. I did before. I brush 2-3 times a day. I floss. Maybe not everyday but alot more frequently then I ever did before I started getting cavities! Anyways just wanted to know why and if maybe it can be related! I asked my dentist about it and of course he said that there isnt anything that would cause that except not brushing and flossing enough. But if that were the cause then I wouldn't be having this problem!!!
    Do you have really bad dry mouth? Because I do and all of that can play a part in cavaties I believe. I've been checked for sjogran's before because I have bad dry eyes and dry mouth. I go to the dentist more frequently now because of it.
    "A bad cold wouldn't be so annoying if it weren't for the advice of our friends."~ Kin Hubbard

Diagnosed: SLE, Raynauds, InterstitialLung Disease, GERD, Myositis, Vasculitis, Possible Sjogrens.
    Medications: 400mg Plaquenil, 2000mg Cellcept, 10mg Norvasc, Nitroglycerin Patch, 20mg Prilosec, 10mg Flexeril, 4mg Medrol, 81mg Asprin.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ritzbit View Post
    Do you have really bad dry mouth? Because I do and all of that can play a part in cavaties I believe. I've been checked for sjogran's before because I have bad dry eyes and dry mouth. I go to the dentist more frequently now because of it.
    Excellent point, Ritz!

Thanks

i agree i have that coating and use listerine when i can afford it in australia we have this plan to if you have chronic illness they give you 3000 dollars worth of free dental care i only found out this before christmas i have been once and am going again soon if we did not have this i would not be able to afford dentist being on pension. hugs kim l

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hmmm no dry mouth really. And I've only been on my meds for a little over a week so it couldn't be those.. Well maybe it is just lack of doing a good job taking care of my teeth. I don't know. My mom said maybe it was my BC pills since they change my hormone levels and that can sometime change the way your teeth are or something. I don't know.

Thanks

I know other medicine can affect your teeth too. My teeth started turning yellow and I didnt know why and my dentist said they aren't stained but that being on asprin and Norvasc affects blood flow to my teeth, and is probably whats making them yellow. Would have never thought that. I have no idea if things like that affect cavaties though.
    "A bad cold wouldn't be so annoying if it weren't for the advice of our friends."~ Kin Hubbard

Diagnosed: SLE, Raynauds, InterstitialLung Disease, GERD, Myositis, Vasculitis, Possible Sjogrens.
    Medications: 400mg Plaquenil, 2000mg Cellcept, 10mg Norvasc, Nitroglycerin Patch, 20mg Prilosec, 10mg Flexeril, 4mg Medrol, 81mg Asprin.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,618 Times in 1,108 Posts

you are all on the right track.

i have done a little studying on the effects of lupus.
    if the lupus is effecting your bloods. then it is effecting your teeth and gums.
    there is about 6 or 7 AI conditions that also effect the teeth, and mouth.
    most of the drugs that are steriod based effect your teeth.

most people with prolonged AI problems will have a lot more fillings, my teeth have become brittle.
    the last tooth i had pulled, had been snapped 3 times. i bite on something and break the top off of my tooth.
    they pulled the root, because the rest was already broken off.

i love this desease.