Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Color Blindness

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,211 Posts

Default Color Blindness

Good Evening Everyone,

As many of you know I finally went to have my eyes examined about a month ago. I didn't go to an ophthalmologist but I found an optometrist who know what a plaquenil eye test was. All came out well except my eyes were much worse so I got new glasses.

About 2 weeks ago my daughter and I were in a store and I had stopped to look at this purse. Thought it was really pretty and it was purple (my favorite color) but put it down and walked on. A few minutes later my daughter got my attention to show me the same purse and I said "I looked at that one. It is a really pretty purple". Her response was "Mom, this isn't purple. This is blue". I argued for a bit then went back over to it and it still looked purple to me. I didn't think much about it but the same thing happened with her and I last week. I still didn't think much about it until today.

I was with a friend who was looking for furniture and we were looking at this table and chairs. I said I love the brown used on the padding. She said "Mari, that is not brown. That is black". It looked brown to me!

I came home and began looking to see if going color blind was something that happened to Lupus patients and I found out that it is something that sometimes happens to people on plaquenil. They said it can be one of the first signs of a problem however it is usually caught before it happens as long as you are getting your eye exams.

So here is my question: Do I need to get another eye exam or does this happen in some Lupus patients not related to the plaquenil?
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

Thanks

Whenever I get my eyes tested they always test me for coloured blindness (even before I had Lupus). Did you go to your usual optometrist? They should have a record of al your previous tests
    Diagnosed with Lupus - 22 June, 2010

Thanks

what is the color blindness test like? I don't think I have ever had one
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

Thanks

In Australia you look at pages of coloured dots. Usually in the middle is a number with different colour dots. You just tell them what number it is. Easy if you are not coloured blind, otherwise you just say there is no number - hence - colour blind

Thanks

Every time I go to the eye doctor I have to do this test where I look into this white thing with one eye covered and little red dots pop up, and you press a button when you see them. I have also had to look through a book where you have to tell them what numbers or letters you see because if you dont see them right (they are colored dots) then you aren't seeing colors right. I would go back and ask to do something like that if they didnt do it before to make sure nothings going on.
    "A bad cold wouldn't be so annoying if it weren't for the advice of our friends."~ Kin Hubbard

Diagnosed: SLE, Raynauds, InterstitialLung Disease, GERD, Myositis, Vasculitis, Possible Sjogrens.
    Medications: 400mg Plaquenil, 2000mg Cellcept, 10mg Norvasc, Nitroglycerin Patch, 20mg Prilosec, 10mg Flexeril, 4mg Medrol, 81mg Asprin.

Thanks

Well I did the one where I pushed the button if I saw the dot but the dot was black. I have never had to look through a book or looked at things with different colored dots. Guess this kind of answers my questions!
    Mari

~Winston Churchill~

Thanks

Check out these sites, they are just a sample of the test you can take

http://www.toledo-bend.com/colorblind/ishihara.asp

http://colorvisiontesting.com/online...tration%20card

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Haha oh man I took the second colorblind test thing and thought for a second I could have been! False alarm, I was reading what I was trying to see wrong ha. I may not understand instructions but I'm not colorblind!Not that being colorblind would be terrible but I just didn't think I had a color problem. I don't think I've ever had to test for colorblindness, but then again I haven't been to an eye doctor since I last got glasses.. I should really schedule an app soon since I just started plaquinel...

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

Mari

My opthamologist always does the colored dots test where you look at those funky pages in a little book and you tell him if you see a letter or number.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,610 Times in 1,102 Posts

tgal,
    please book yourself a visit with an opthamologist. the coloured book is special. different dots in different colour combinations. they can tell what colours block out each other.
    you should be able to see only certain numbers or letters, on a page. if you are colour blind, then you will see no numbers, or the wrong number, depending on the colour combination.

please book yourself a test.