Thread: Sick Again

Thanks

Question Sick Again

I am new to the forum but not new to Lupus. I was diagnosed more than 10 years ago.
    Was on Plaquenil for 7 years, then had to go off due to vision side effects, put on methotrexate for 1 year and did not tolerate that ( got sick with this or that virus all of the time). Now I have been on Cellcept (1500mg) a day for two years. I appear to be tolerating this well however, now I have had back to back illness for two months and my husband is getting very impatient with me. I work with toddlers as a speech therapist and am exposed to everything. It seems my routine is: work four days then crash for three.
    A few days ago I say "I have got to do something other than nothing for my days off"
    So we plan an outing on Sat. and on Fri. I wake up with a cold, have no energy and all the muscles in my body are achy. I have to cancel, once again.
    Do I call my Dr.? Three weeks ago I went to urgent care for a secondary sinus, ear infection. Experienced awful side effects from the anti-biotic. Just getting over all this and bam...sick again.
    Four weeks ago, the dr. had me do a 24 hour urine for ongoing leukocytes and protein.
    Apparently the results didn't alarm him as I have not heard. Called the office last week and his
    nurse (not the one I like) tells me he has not read the results yet (what? oh well)
    I don't want to bug him.
    Any thoughts...
    1. any of you having to deal with ..."your always sick" comments
    2. when to call the Dr.

Thanks,
    Sal

Thanks

I'm sorry you haven't been feeling well. I would call your doctor now. If he's not going to put in the effort himself to let you know whats going on then you need to be annoying and get on his nerves until he gets back to you. I wouldn't worry about bugging him if its been that long since the tests and he still hasn't even looked at your results. That sounds very irresponsible on his part because he is your doctor and should be as quick as he can be with those types of things.
    "A bad cold wouldn't be so annoying if it weren't for the advice of our friends."~ Kin Hubbard

Diagnosed: SLE, Raynauds, InterstitialLung Disease, GERD, Myositis, Vasculitis, Possible Sjogrens.
    Medications: 400mg Plaquenil, 2000mg Cellcept, 10mg Norvasc, Nitroglycerin Patch, 20mg Prilosec, 10mg Flexeril, 4mg Medrol, 81mg Asprin.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ritzbit For This Useful Post:

tgal (03-13-2011)

Thanks

i am so sorry you are going through this you are not bugging him you have every right to ask for your tests results you are the one suffering not him so do not feel guilty it is his job as you physcian to keep you updated feel better soon hugs kim l

Thanks

Four weeks ago you had the test?!?! That's more than enough time and it's unacceptable that he hasn't even read them yet! Oh yeah, like others have said, that's not bugging him that's making him accountable for doing his job. You can be pleasant but firm about wanting results in a timely manner.

Added: As far as people saying you are always sick tell them that yes, you are often sick because you have a chronic illness. That's nothing to be embarrassed about... it's not your fault so don't let them make you feel like it is, educate them if you must.
    Last edited by GoodDog; 03-13-2011 at 05:36 PM.

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,211 Posts

Hi and welcome to WHL! One of the first and best things I learned here was "The doctor works FOR you. You hired him and you can fire him as well!". If your doctor is not doing his job then stay on his butt until he does! Don't worry about bothering him. You are not asking him to do anything but do his job!

Now, on to the sickness. Have you tried showing him "the spoon theory" or having him read up on this disease? I know it is difficult because at times we don't look ill and so it is hard for others to grasp. You might even ask him to come here. Often times spouses come to ask questions or learn a bit more about this disease.

I wish I was more help but welcome to the WHL family. We are glad to have you
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

Thanks

Hi Sal,
    Welcome to our lovely large family of the WHL and it's nice to have you with us.

Sorry your not well and it sounds like the Lupus is having a lovely field day with your system and making you so unwell, i suggest phoning your doctor to find out what's happening, we can't do that in the UK instead we have to call sister's who work with the rheumo's and if they think you have a serious problem occur your admitted into the day unit.

Wishing you all the best in contacting your Doctor.
    Luv Terri xxx

Thanks

Hi Sal, And welcome to whl! Your situation sound's just like mine! So sorry your sick again
    and best wishes you feel better soon! Im have to also go to ergent care at least 3 times a month
    for either kidney infection, sinus infection, etc, seems i dont get over one sickness and another one hit's. Then the round of antibotics cause yeast and the pred also so more meds to control the yeast infection through my body, I also have severe back, and joint and muscel pain
    now new heart problems caused by either lupus or sjogrens?
    And so many test and blood work i have to write it down to keep up with it as i now have short term memory loss.

If your dr. hasent called you back with your test results, I would surley give them a call back
    You have the right to know your results as it would ease you mind just to know and one less burden to worry about. My dr's and nurse's do me the same way ill give them 3 or 4 days to call me with results then i start calling them at 8:00AM and leave them a message to call me back with my result's. You are surley not bugging them as they have so many paitents they also
    forget and can hardly keep up with what paitent is what.
    Hang in there and keep ringing the dr's phone or nurse till they give you your results!
    Belive me i have to do the same thing and after 8 yr's of dealing with dr's & nurses Ill give
    my test a few days and if i dont get a call back on results i will leave a message every morn prompt @ 8oam till i get them to call me back with my result's.
    Best wishes to you and hope you feel better soon! Big hug's to you also!
    You are surley not alone in this, HUG'S ~Diane~
    ~Where Hope Grow's, Miracle's Blossom~
    Diagnosed,
    (CNS) Vasculitis, Lupus, Neuro-Behcet's, Raynaud's, Fibromyalgia, Diabetes, Earley M.S., Buerger's Syndrome.

Thanks

You pushed me over the edge and I called. Turns out the 24 hour test was normal. I kind of figured that cause they hadn't called. They usually are right up on
    stuff. Except for right before Christmas, I saw the Dr., had a urinalysis done and it wasn't til a week later that they tell me I have a raging infection and need
    to go immediately and get another UA done and start on antibiotics.
    Any how.... I got put on prednisone for a jump start to my system. I feel much more energetic but underlying all that I have a low grade infection of sorts.
    Thanks for the push!
    Sal

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,211 Posts

So glad that you called! Stay on them if you need to! Remember, they work for you!
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sal View Post
    You pushed me over the edge and I called. Turns out the 24 hour test was normal. I kind of figured that cause they hadn't called. They usually are right up on
    stuff. Except for right before Christmas, I saw the Dr., had a urinalysis done and it wasn't til a week later that they tell me I have a raging infection and need
    to go immediately and get another UA done and start on antibiotics.
    Any how.... I got put on prednisone for a jump start to my system. I feel much more energetic but underlying all that I have a low grade infection of sorts.
    Thanks for the push!
    Sal
    Hello Sal,
    Nice to hear you phoned mate and that the presidone as helped you abit, that should help joints and inflammation but you do need a tablet to help concerning brittle bones, as i was told that's what the jab can cause in due time.

Keep us updated please. Terri xxx