Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Neurological Eye Problems???

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Default Neurological Eye Problems???

I finally went today to the eye doctor. I had been planning on going, but while I was driving today my periphial (sp?) vision in my right eye was all of a sudden pretty much gone. I have been having problems off and one w/losing partial vision/blurred vision/etc.. for a while, but today enough was enough. I was already out and had some free time so off to the eye doctor I went and thank goodness he had an opening!

My vision has gotten somewhat worse over the past year, but he said that nothing was "wrong" w/my eyes and that he thinks it is more neurological. It would make sense that since the only "organ" the Lupus seems to be affecting is my noggin! I didn't know that there could be "neurological" vision problems though, or was this just his nice way of saying "It's all in your head"? LOL
    Lauren

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

I have to deal with bouts of Optic Neuritis. It's inflammation of the optic nerve. I get sharp pain behind one eye, or sometimes both, and my eyes are very sensitive to pressure when this happens as well. My O.N. is attributed to my MS rather than my Lupus flares, but my neuro says that people with just Lupus can indeed have O.N. or other neurological related eye problems.

Rob

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Rob,
    Wouldn't this show up though during an eye exam? He did the whole ball of wax, dilating and such today. Of course by the time I had the exam my eyes were pretty much back to normal. When it does happen though and today was the worst, I almost feel like my eyeball (hah that sounds funny) is swollen. Thanks!
    Lauren

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,211 Posts

I am not Rob and I may be incorrect but I know the eye exam only checks the actual eye and how it is working. It does not check the brain and how it sends/recieves information. I say this because when I had migraines as a child I would lose the vision in the side that was hurting. The eye doctor could find no reason for it but the neurologist did. He said their was inflammation leading to the eye so the eye just thought it couldn't see but it really was able to see it just wan't getting the images from the brain.

Did that make any sense?
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tgal View Post
    I am not Rob and I may be incorrect but I know the eye exam only checks the actual eye and how it is working. It does not check the brain and how it sends/recieves information. I say this because when I had migraines as a child I would lose the vision in the side that was hurting. The eye doctor could find no reason for it but the neurologist did. He said their was inflammation leading to the eye so the eye just thought it couldn't see but it really was able to see it just wan't getting the images from the brain.

Did that make any sense?
    So if i'm understanding this right, the eye is ok, but the inflammation makes the brain think that something is wrong with the vision. My neuro said my headache was due to an inflammation. So then maybe the unfocus vision - blurring - unclear sight is due to the inflammation.

i'm think you may have solved my vision problem also.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Mari - That would be weird if you were Rob & yourself! LOL

Makes sense, but I just thought that after they dilate your eyes and BLIND you w/ their light they would see if there was inflamation anywhere back there - but I'm probably wrong. LOL Definitely something to talk to the neuro about! Thank you!
    Lauren

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by red246 View Post
    Mari - That would be weird if you were Rob & yourself! LOL

Makes sense, but I just thought that after they dilate your eyes and BLIND you w/ their light they would see if there was inflamation anywhere back there - but I'm probably wrong. LOL Definitely something to talk to the neuro about! Thank you!
    Well, in my case, a regular eye doctor had no part in the diagnosis. When I was first diagnosed with secondary progressive MS, I told my Neurologist that I had this pain behind my eyes and the pressure, and he sent me to the same opthamologist who was monitoring my eyes twice a year for retinal damage from plaquenil (which I've never had). He ordered an evoked potentials test for the optic nerve as well as an MRI of the specific area. It was in the end both my Opthamologist and Neurologist together who diagnosed the Optic Neuritis. I get an IV Methylpred infusion every 2-3 months to keep the O.N. and other issues with peripheral neuropathy in check.

Rob

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,211 Posts

But Rob... you know all of this can be cured without medicine! (Just joking everyone! It is just something that irritates Rob when he hears it!)

LOL
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by red246 View Post
    I finally went today to the eye doctor. I had been planning on going, but while I was driving today my periphial (sp?) vision in my right eye was all of a sudden pretty much gone. I have been having problems off and one w/losing partial vision/blurred vision/etc.. for a while, but today enough was enough. I was already out and had some free time so off to the eye doctor I went and thank goodness he had an opening!

My vision has gotten somewhat worse over the past year, but he said that nothing was "wrong" w/my eyes and that he thinks it is more neurological. It would make sense that since the only "organ" the Lupus seems to be affecting is my noggin! I didn't know that there could be "neurological" vision problems though, or was this just his nice way of saying "It's all in your head"? LOL
    I pretty much have the same problem, my left eye is blurry and I can hardly see. My eye doctor two months ago said everything is ok, I had the works too, dialation and the bright lights. I am also very light sensitive, are you?
    My eyesight has gotten worse in both eyes in just six months.

Debbie
    I may have been dealt a bad hand, but at least I'm still playing with a full deck. ( most of the time anyway).

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tgal View Post
    But Rob... you know all of this can be cured without medicine! (Just joking everyone! It is just something that irritates Rob when he hears it!)

LOL
    LOL! I have the real cure dammit! It's only $149.99 plus tax, title, and paperwork! Batteries not included. Do not pass go, do not collect 200 dollars. Void where prohibited. Caution-filling may be hot.