Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tsunami in Northern California!

Thanks

Default Tsunami in Northern California!

Hi Everyone,
    We were awakened by a reverse 911 call this morning telling us about the earthquake in Japan and warning us to not be on the beaches today. Jeff usually rides the beach bike path, so he decided to take a different route to school today.

I'm watching the news now. There have been a lot of boats tossed around by the waves in Santa Cruz, about 40 miles from here. Another coastal city, Crescent City, has reported some beach-front homes have been damaged and that most of their piers have significant damage. They just reported that the wave in Crescent City was higher than the waves in Hawaii early this morning.

It sounds like Japan had a very serious earthquake. Ironically, I was out eating sushi at a Japanese restaurant last night. I've traveled in Japan, and love the culture. I hope that they recover soon.
    May you live in interesting times!
    Hugs,
    Marla

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Thank God he heard the news before he went that way to work!

The news on Japan looks horrible. I guess the only good thing is it hit in a small fishing town and not a huge metropolis so the death toll is lower than it could have been. Still, the images are very shocking and sad.

They also showed footage of Californians that were evacuated driving up a road that seems to be high elevation and parking there. I'm not sure if it's to reduce the number of fatalities or to get a front row seat of Mother Nature in action. Stay safe!
    As long as this body works, I am going to enjoy life to the fullest for each second of every moment that I can.

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

I'm watching CNN, and they are reporting the quake was a magnitude 8.9, which is one of the most powerful earthquakes in recorded history. They also said that there is a nuclear plant in Japan that's been badly damaged and is in danger of a meltdown, and that thousands have been evacuated from the immediate area. The pictures and videos from Japan look absolutley horrible.

Now they are saying that there have been some people swept out to sea on the northern coast of California. What a mess.

rob

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,211 Posts

Days like today I miss cable! I spoke to a friend in Southern Cali and thankfully they missed it. I am glad to know you are OK as well Marla!

Like rob i am really concerned about the nuclear plant. I sure am hoping that they get it cooled down before something bad happens
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tgal View Post
    Days like today I miss cable! I spoke to a friend in Southern Cali and thankfully they missed it. I am glad to know you are OK as well Marla!

Like rob i am really concerned about the nuclear plant. I sure am hoping that they get it cooled down before something bad happens
    You can watch CNN clips online for free, and listen to CNN live at these links-

Watch clips at-

www.cnn.com

Listen to CNN live-

www.cnn.com/audio/radio/cnntv.html?hpt=tv

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,211 Posts

That is the only thing I can do, Rob. I watch what I can on the net but I didn't know about listening live. Thanks for that link!
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tgal View Post
    That is the only thing I can do, Rob. I watch what I can on the net but I didn't know about listening live. Thanks for that link!
    Like you, I have no cable/satellite, so I watch my news online. I discovered that free CNN Live link kind of hidden on CNN's homepage. It's not taped, it's what's on CNN right now live, just without video. It's free 24/7.

ETA-I just watched some of the newest video footage from Japan. The affected areas look like just total and absolute destruction. Looks like the President is sending the carrier USS Ronald Reagan and seven other ships with heavy lift helicopters and other equipment and personnel to render aid.
    Last edited by rob; 03-11-2011 at 03:34 PM.

Thanks

to all our lupus friends in calfornia and hawaii and any that may be in japan i was worried about you all i am glad to hear some of you are okay it was a terrible thing to happen to many of these lately i wish you many hugs from your australian friend kim l

Blog Entries
    Thanks

oow marla i am glad to hear you are ok! it is good they rung you!

my step mum mums whole family live in japan thankfully they are all aright for now as they live a lot farther south but it is a worring time as there is news on more tsunami on its way and there has been a explosuion at that power plant with leakages whish is obviously not good! she also has a niece who live in hawaii who thankfully was evacuated and now has been able to return home safely but what scary experiences! i count my blessings over and over again for where i live! british population is always moaning about its rainy miserrable weather but i would much rather that then what some people have gone throu in this last year!!!

i hope and pray that the rest of our whl family are alright and not effected to much by this natural disaster! xxxx

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tiggerlishus - Heidi View Post
    oow marla i am glad to hear you are ok! it is good they rung you!

my step mum mums whole family live in japan thankfully they are all aright for now as they live a lot farther south but it is a worring time as there is news on more tsunami on its way and there has been a explosuion at that power plant with leakages whish is obviously not good! she also has a niece who live in hawaii who thankfully was evacuated and now has been able to return home safely but what scary experiences! i count my blessings over and over again for where i live! british population is always moaning about its rainy miserrable weather but i would much rather that then what some people have gone throu in this last year!!!

i hope and pray that the rest of our whl family are alright and not effected to much by this natural disaster! xxxx
    I just saw a before/after photo of that nuclear plant, and it looks like the containment dome/building over the problem reactor has exploded and is totally gone. Hate to say it, but the explosion and damage looks like Chernobyl. One good thing though, is that the prevailing winds where the plant is located, consistently blow to the east, carrying the leaked radioactive steam and possible fallout over the open ocean, and not inland. The people you know in Japan should be just fine as they are far to the south-a very safe place to be.

I know what you mean about the weather, Maine is much like the UK, and like you, we're pretty safe from natural disasters here. No earthquakes here, and a tsunami wouldn't get far as the coastline is mostly sheer cliffs. At my house, it's over 200 ft. straight down to get to the ocean.

I hope the people affected by this disaster receive the help they need ASAP.

Rob