Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First Appt. with rheumy

Thanks

Thanks Terri-I really appreciate all of your help and support. Have a good sleep.

Wendy

Thanks

I have the same feeling in my chest, except it hurts when I take a deep breath in. I have had multiple pulmonary embolisms (blood clots) which have left my lungs scarred. I also have nodules (they don't know what they are maybe the lupus or something else) they are just keeping an eye on them. If you feel short of breath, VERY fatigued, and it hurts when you breath, you should go to the ER these are the signs of a blood clot! The test your doc ordered sound like he's on the right track. I will keep my fingers crossed for you!!

Thanks

Hi Kitten,
    Thanks for the response and sharing some of your story. It is so sad that we have to "convince" some doctors to help us and take us seriously. That is how I felt at my appt. yesterday-I had to have a little rant to get him to really take notice of me, and I still don't think it was enough-because I quickly read his notes on my way to dropping them off to his secretary-and some of the info. he wrote about me was inaccurate/some of it was the opposite of what I told him i.e. that I didn't complain of mouth or nose ulcers-when I clearly told him that I currently have them and other things that he didn't even ask me about...Now I could kick myself for not marching back into his office and calling him on it! I could go on but I think what my point is, is that this misinformation in my notes made me feel like he really didn't give 2 shits and wasn't really listening to me.........How am I supposed to have faith that he is going to help me?
    How are your lungs these days? How did it start-did you have shortness of breath right away? and how did they determine that you had clots?from what? Sorry-so many questions...
    Hope all is well and that you are having a good evening.

Wendy

Quote Originally Posted by serand4 View Post
    Hi - I have the exact same issues lung/chestwise as you do. At first, it was just as the lupus started and turned out to be blood clots in my lungs. After those cleared, I continued with the pain and shortness of breath. I use a neubulizer whenever the breathing gets too tough, but I rarely have to now. Now I'm just more accustomed to the pain and know to take it easy the moment I start to hack-cough. I have to see another pulminary doctor soon as my first pulm. doc diagnosed me with shrinking lung disease but then things got complicated due to my ANA numbers. Nothing is easy or straight forward with this disease. And if there is one consistency, it's that the rheum. docs never quite know what to tell you or have the time to educate you. I'm in a very frustrated place myself but my only suggestion is to be sure to sit down and rest when you hurt. I find that valium really helped -- why, I don't know and I use very little, but it does help. Maybe it just makes me less frightened. Keep us posted and do what I finally did in the ER one night...I grabbed the doctor by the hand and said "you have to admit me and help figure this out!!! I am SO sick!" I got admitted and finally got my pcp to agree that there is no way I'm suffering from fibro only. I also have extensive documentation on the joint swelling, redness, fever -- all the things that spell out Lupus, even without the high ANA numbers. Hopefully, that will get me into one of the top hospitals here in St. Louis so I can get the shrinking lung issue addressed as well as the multitude of new symptoms that are creeping up.

Take care and God bless.

Thanks

Hey Toots,
    How are you? Did they get all the shrapnel out? Just a little joke, but seriously I hope that you are feeling better, and that the antibiotics are killing two birds with one stone. My NP was wondering if the chest pain could be indigestion-but it doesn't feel like my regular acid regurg. How do you tell the difference between digestion/esophagus problems and chest/lung problems? I'll keep what you said in mind-and keep an eye on it. Would blood clots turn up on a chest x-ray? They must
    How goes the search for a new NP/Family Doctor?

Hope all is well,
    New and Improved "Little Guppy"!!!!!!!
    QUOTE=Colleenc;81529]I have the same feeling in my chest, except it hurts when I take a deep breath in. I have had multiple pulmonary embolisms (blood clots) which have left my lungs scarred. I also have nodules (they don't know what they are maybe the lupus or something else) they are just keeping an eye on them. If you feel short of breath, VERY fatigued, and it hurts when you breath, you should go to the ER these are the signs of a blood clot! The test your doc ordered sound like he's on the right track. I will keep my fingers crossed for you!![/QUOTE]

Thanks

Hi Chachi,
    Ive also been haveing breathing problems & very shot of breath and acid reflux, gonna demand a chest x-ray this week at my dr's appt.
    Wishing you the best of luck on all your test, And hope you feel better soon!!!!
    ~Diane~
    ~Where Hope Grow's, Miracle's Blossom~
    Diagnosed,
    (CNS) Vasculitis, Lupus, Neuro-Behcet's, Raynaud's, Fibromyalgia, Diabetes, Earley M.S., Buerger's Syndrome.

Thanks

Hi Wendy,
    I've had deep vein thrombosis and that always starts with a clot in the calf and untreated the clot can move and either to go straight to your heart or lodge in the lungs, then travels to the heart and your in serious trouble then but like colleen mentioned having clots on her lungs that's usually more from plurisey which i've had twice and was lucky no clots developed, colleen i hope they scanned your legs mate also.

Wendy if they find you've got sjogren's disease or systemic lupus like myself either one can cause that pain as well but as soon as you get your result's let us know mate.

Love to you both Terri xxx

Blog Entries
    Thanks

It sounds like he is doing everything that I had done to me good luck
    michele

8. The Following User Says Thank You to lovehubby For This Useful Post:

Chachi (03-10-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ~LUVMYFLOWERS~ View Post
    Hi Chachi,
    Ive also been haveing breathing problems & very shot of breath and acid reflux, gonna demand a chest x-ray this week at my dr's appt.
    Wishing you the best of luck on all your test, And hope you feel better soon!!!!
    ~Diane~
    Hi Diane,
    Haven't talked to you in a while. How are you? Hope you get your symptoms sorted out soon. It's just one thing after another sometimes eh! Hope you found something good to take for the acid reflux-because it sure is painful/can make it hard to sleep.

Have a good day.

wendy

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chachi View Post
    Hi all,

I had my first appt. with rheumy yesterday. He was rushed and not very methodical, I sure hope he knows what the heck he is doing. He sent me for some tests: ESR, CRP, AST, ANA, anti ds DNA, ANCA, B12 folate, iron, ferritin, TIBS, CBC, creatinine, ck, alt and urine. Does that sound about right? Fingers crossed that he can figure this out. He mentionned Lupus and connective tissue disease as well as urticarial vasculitis and pernicious anemia.....Once again it's the waiting game now. I'm worried that nothing is going to turn up and meanwhile I'm still feeling horrible and missing tons of work.... I have a new symptom-chest pressure/pain-in the middle -I think it might be my lungs. It feels heavy, and a tiny bit harder to breathe-no stabbing pains. I had it almost all day today-and now it hurts in the back as well. Sound familiar to anyone? It doesn't really sound like pleurisy??My NP sent me for a chest x-ray-haven't heard anything yet
    Thanks in advance for any feedback. I'm trying to stay positive.

wendy
    Hi Wendy -

I think it sounds like he's running the gamet. That's good.

The ESR is a test I am familiar with - I actually need to go get my blood drawn for one this weekend. It's full name is the Erythrocyte Sedimentation Rate and it's used to confirm diagnosis of an inflammatory process in your body by determining how much inflammation is occuring in your body at the time of the test. It can not tell you why you have that inflammation - just that you do and how much. Here's a good overview of the test - http://www.ehow.com/about_5046296_esr-blood-test_.html.

The Creatine test is a kidney functioning test to see if your kidneys are spilling protiens. He might have ordered a BUN (Blood Urea Nitrogen) test with it because together they give a better picture of what your kidneys are doing. http://www.labtestsonline.org/unders...nine/test.html

As for that chest xray - call the dr! Find out what it shows. Please don't wait on that.
    Last edited by SandyR; 03-10-2011 at 08:51 AM.
    As long as this body works, I am going to enjoy life to the fullest for each second of every moment that I can.