Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Update-Dad is Home!

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

Default Update-Dad is Home!

Hi everyone,

As many of you know, my father had heart surgery to intall 5 bypasses on Monday of last week. I'm happy to report that Dad is now home, and he's doing great! To look at him, you would never know that he had open heart surgery 8 days ago. He's got a bit of rehab to do, but he'll breeze through that just fine. If you ask him if he's sore from all the various incisions and literally having his ribcage cranked open, he'll say yeah, he's a little sore, but it's a small price to pay for having 15 to 20 more years of life given to him.

While he was in the hospital, everyone, including staff, were amazed by his positive attitude, sense of humor, and his refusal to complain about his situation. A couple of days after he was able to walk, the nursing staff asked him if he would talk to another heart patient who was terribly depressed, and talking about giving up on life. I guess within a couple of hours, Dad and this fellow were laughing and telling stories. Whatever Dad said, worked. Next thing you know, somebody from a different part of the hospital had heard about this and asked for him to talk to someone else who was having a really tough time. Here he is, just a few days after a major surgical procedure, and he's already helping people.

When I found out about this, I just stepped back, smiled with pride, and said "That's my Dad". And today, I told him just how proud I am of him.

Thank you all for all of your kind words, prayers, and well wishes during a tough time that is now, finally, thankfully, behind us.

Rob
    Last edited by rob; 03-09-2011 at 01:32 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to rob For This Useful Post:

tiggerlishus - Heidi (03-12-2011)

Thanks

Great to hear your Dads doing well!!

Blog Entries
    Thanks

that's wonderful news! Congrats to you and your family.

It looks like that apple didn't fall too far from the tree. I'm not one bit surprised to hear your dad experienced a health crisis and was cheery through it and even helping others as best he could as soon as he was able to. Sounds a lot like someone else I know that he's related to.
    As long as this body works, I am going to enjoy life to the fullest for each second of every moment that I can.

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,211 Posts

Oh Rob that is so good to hear! Your dad did a WONDERFUL job at "paying it forward" and it will come back to him! Please keep us posted and take care of yourself!
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Ahhh Rob,
    Sorry ive not been in contact but im so glad your Dad is home and was so caring in the hospital.Isnt it amasing how fast they can do things these days.Hope he continues to recover nicely.Hope you are feeling good too.
    lots of love
    Amanda.xxxx
    I am still here,just been on new meds so unable to function like i used to.I will pop back,just know im thinking of you all and hoping you are keeping on keeping on.xxxxxxx

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SandyR View Post
    that's wonderful news! Congrats to you and your family.

It looks like that apple didn't fall too far from the tree. I'm not one bit surprised to hear your dad experienced a health crisis and was cheery through it and even helping others as best he could as soon as he was able to. Sounds a lot like someone else I know that he's related to.
    Rob, this is so right. You are your Father's son. Glad he's home. May you all have many many years together.

Toni

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Nonna For This Useful Post:

mountaindreamer (03-10-2011)

Blog Entries
    Thanks

hi rob,

that is wonderful news about your dad. i am sure that the two of you will be underneath a car very soon. i agree with the others, the apple did not fall far from the tree. enjoy your dad, and keep smiling.....that is the best therapy for all of us.
    Phyllis

share a smile today

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Such wonderful news Rob! I am so happy to hear this and I can hear the elation and relief in your words. I am sure that the two of you are already in the midst of planning your next project together
    Sending you high-fives and huge hugs!!

Peace and Blessings
    Namaste
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mountaindreamer View Post
    hi rob,

that is wonderful news about your dad. i am sure that the two of you will be underneath a car very soon. i agree with the others, the apple did not fall far from the tree. enjoy your dad, and keep smiling.....that is the best therapy for all of us.
    I think rob's apple fell on the root!

Rob, I'm excited to hear that your dad is doing so well! Gentle hugs to you both
    "I know God will not give me anything I can't handle. I just wish he didn't trust me so much"- Mother Teresa

12. The Following User Says Thank You to wolfwhisper For This Useful Post:

mountaindreamer (03-10-2011)

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I am SO happy to hear that things went well and your dad is doing great. I guess now we know why you are so wonderful! Sounds like you have had a great example!
    A good friend will help you move, a GREAT friend will help you move a body . . . Let me know if I need to bring a shovel!!!