Thread: Sun symtoms

Thanks

Default Sun symtoms

Can anyone please share how sun exposure impacts their lupus?

Sores under/on top of the skin on my feet, swollen toes, joint aches, muscle ach, blue/brown bruise type thing on my arm, rash on my legs,
    finger nail looks like it is rotting off, and that is just the beginning.

Any sharing of sun impact would be most appreciated.

Shirley

Thanks

Hi SHirley;

Sun can have so many effects - none of them very good!

It can lead to rashes, flares, pain, and general worsening of symptoms. Could lead to organ involvement if the flare is bad enough.

Stay out of the sun -- BIG hats with 4" brim or wider. Long sleeves. SUNSCREEN. From sun up to sun down, any timeyou're outside. Sunny windows aren't so good either - remember that the window glass doesn't stop all the UV rays.

Create a new style - be a "Hat Lady" - and have fun with it. I do!

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hi Shirley;
    It is thought that UV light causes skin cells to express particular protein molecules (antigens) on their surface. These antigens on the surface of the skin cells react with antibodies which latch onto them. These antibodies then attract white blood cells to the skin which attack the skin cells, leading to the rash. UV rays from the sun can trigger reactions in the skin in the form of a rash, or purple spots under the skin called pupura, but will also cause muscle and joint pain. People with Lupus must also be aware of "hidden" UV rays as in Fluorescent lighting. If you work in an area with fluorescent lighting, then you should be wearing a sun screen even while working inside the building.
    A recent study found that too much nitric oxide may be made in the skin of lupus patients after sun exposure, which may lead to redness & inflammation.
    I hope that I've answered your question. Let me know if you need more information
    Saysusie