View Poll Results: Is your arthritis degenerative or non-degenerative?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • degenerative

4 28.57%
  • non-degenerative

5 35.71%
  • I'm not sure

5 35.71%
  • I don't have any arthritis symptoms or diagnosis

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Arthritis Question

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Default Arthritis Question

I was going to post this as a poll but I couldn't figure it out. My question is how many people have non-degenerative arthritis? I feel so achy and the doctors all agree that arthritis is probably the culpret but nothing shows on the xrays. I just had new ones last week of the knees and hands - nothing. I guess I *should* be greatful for this but once again it's one of those You Just Don't Look Sick moments that I am so sick and tired of.
    As long as this body works, I am going to enjoy life to the fullest for each second of every moment that I can.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

turns out I was correctly posting the poll. laughing at myself. and I test-voted wrong *face-smack* as I already stated I am non-degenerative.
    As long as this body works, I am going to enjoy life to the fullest for each second of every moment that I can.

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,742 Times in 1,211 Posts

The pole is now correct. Great idea for a pole, Sandy!
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

Thanks

Yes, it is so frustrating when the docs don't believe me that I have joint pain because my joints aren't red or swollen and nothing shows up on x-rays.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Just because nothing shows up on x-rays doesn't mean you do not have arthritis. I was diagnosed with RA by blood tests, not x-rays. I do have swelling on my joints but it wasn't as bad back then than it is now, and my doctor based his final judgment on those blood tests.
    "With gentle hands and the heart of a fighter, I am a survivor!" - Reba McEntire

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I have osteoarthritis in my hands and you can see the finger joints are markedly misshapen....they have names for both....one is Bouchard's and the other is Heberden's nodes. They are so stiff and painful, it is very hard to write or open a jar, things like that. I know that a few of these finger joints are practically bone on bone, they get jammed up and OMG it hurts so bad. I don't know if these are considered degenerative or not.....sure feels like it. My doc told me once that they could do surgery on the worst of these if I wanted. Is osteo degenerative, does anyone know?
    Live, laugh, love. We only have one shot at this. ~Author Unknown

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hunniebun, my doc told me he could "tell by looking" that I did not have rheumatoid arthritis in my hands. I found that a little disconcerting but let it slide. I was told by my rheumy (now retired) for 25+ years that I was borderline rheumatoid factor in my blood work.....which tells me that I am pretty darn close to having it. I guess my GP doc figured that since my arthritic fingers didn't have the specific look of RA, that I don't have it at all. Not sure what to think. I do know that I have osteo in my hands, and probably in my hips and knees as well. My hips hurt like heck all the time now and my right knee has a distinct "crackle" when climbing stairs.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Ahhh! Never mind, I just learned by doing a little bit of research that indeed, osteoarthritis IS considered degenerative.

"Osteoarthritis is a type of arthritis that is caused by breakdown of cartilage, with eventual loss of the cartilage of the joints. Cartilage is a protein substance that serves as a "cushion" between the bones of the joints. When the cartilage deteriorates (degenerates), the bone next to it becomes inflamed and can be stimulated to produce new bone in the form of a local bony protrusion, called a "spur."" ~ taken from MedicineNet.com

Thanks

Can you add a choice for "Both"?... lolol - A person can have more than one arthritis. Lupus's "arthritis" generally would be considered non-degenerative (of the joints), which is one thing that separates it from rheumatoid. Your hands & fingers will eventually twist from RA, but you *might* never see joint damage from SLE... 'Course, losing kidneys & heart & mind from SLE tempers that a bit... Thus far, other than the pain in my hands (and wrists & elbows & shoulders & hips, etc.), and always looking inflamed, with red knuckles, etc., it *looks* like I've got RA, but I supposedly don't. However, I've got that spondylosis stuff - and something else that's 3 words & I can NOT begin to remember how to spell, much less pronounce the other arthritis' name - in my back. That isn't very grammatically correct, now is it?... lolol - Thus, I need a "both" choice... tic
    "There but for the grace of God, go I."
    "... His mercy endureth for ever."

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jmail View Post
    Can you add a choice for "Both"?... lolol - A person can have more than one arthritis. Lupus's "arthritis" generally would be considered non-degenerative (of the joints), which is one thing that separates it from rheumatoid. Your hands & fingers will eventually twist from RA, but you *might* never see joint damage from SLE... 'Course, losing kidneys & heart & mind from SLE tempers that a bit... Thus far, other than the pain in my hands (and wrists & elbows & shoulders & hips, etc.), and always looking inflamed, with red knuckles, etc., it *looks* like I've got RA, but I supposedly don't. However, I've got that spondylosis stuff - and something else that's 3 words & I can NOT begin to remember how to spell, much less pronounce the other arthritis' name - in my back. That isn't very grammatically correct, now is it?... lolol - Thus, I need a "both" choice... tic
    That's a good point - about being able to have both. I don't think I can alter the poll now but it's a good thing to keep in mind.