Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Symptom-Rash on my Hands

Thanks

I get the shingles virus often. In fact 2 of the 3 times I was in the hospital recently I was in a private room because I had open sores. Anyone that came in the room had to get suited up so it must be very contagious.

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jmail View Post
    Is it neuro, Rob? Did you have chicken pox as a kid? With MS and the lupus, you might have something similar to a "shingles" outbreak, which anything "neuro" can do similar. On the "Symptoms" page of that link is a picture, and if you click on it, it'll zoom in. That's a mild case of it. I had a shingles outbreak about 10 years ago on my lower back, and there's little "branches" that connected the "sites", which the doc said was the nerve stems running along under the skin, all inflamed. Mine was more raised, and almost "bruised" looking. I forget what it's called when it's not shingles, and you do similar...
    Thanks for the link Jmail. I looked at it, and read about shingles on a couple of other sites as well, and my symptoms don't match. The rash I have looks nothing like the picture. From what I read, shingles only occurs on one side of the body, but my rash is on both of my hands. And I have no blisters or fever etc. I did have chickenpox when I was a kid, but I'm certain (and thankful) that this is not shingles, as it sounds awful.

I'm thinking this is just typical Lupus rash like I get on my feet and legs at times. I've just never had it on my hands before, so it kind of caught me by surprise. I did take some benadryl this morning and at lunchtime, but it made no difference, so I don't think it's hives either.

I see my neuro next week for a routine checkup, and I'll be talking to him about this. Sometimes it's hard for me to tell what symptoms are Lupus related, and which ones are due to MS. For now, I have been soaking my hands in cool water from time to time, and it soothes the burn. I'm going to take some naproxen with dinner, and see if it helps with the inflammation. I agree with everyone that this is most likely a flare/reaction to all the stress I've been dealing with this past week.

Rob
    Last edited by rob; 03-04-2011 at 05:13 PM.

Thanks

Just getting caught up on this week's posts and am sorry to read that the stress of this week caught up with you, Rob.
    Your hands sound absolutely painful, Rob. I'd have to agree that it doesn't sound like shingles, based on what you've described.

My daughter had them at age seven, after having a mild case of chicken pox at age four. They were confined to her left front--right on the midline--wrapping around to the back--right on the spine. It looked like mosquito bites and then poison oak. It was itchy and painful for her.

Have you taken any new meds or tried any new detergents/soaps? A rash that causes swelling and the skin breaking open just isn't right.

Take pictures of your hands now and print them out so you can show the rash at its worst to your neuro.

Let us know what the doc says and TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF!

Thanks

Like BonusMom, I'm just seeing this thread for the first time.
    Rob, it does sound like the stress of the last week or so has caught up with you.
    I hope that your hands are better by now and that you are getting some rest before your Dad comes home from the hospital.
    Take care of yourself and don't try to do everything for your family so that you drive yourself into a flare.
    Lots of hugs,
    Marla

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tgal View Post
    Chickenpox.. Want a bit more proof that my body beats to a different drum? I have had the chickenpox 9 times.Yes, I know you only get them once but nor I! It's a long story but on the 4th or 5th doctor they figured out that I am a carrier. I got them only bad enough to be contagious but not to make me immune. I told every old people sure fire cure (my middle school principle ever told me to drink a shot of whiskey) but I kept getting them over and over. Finally I got a case that was a little worse...on my wedding day LOL
    It seems to have done the trick because I haven't had them in about 18 years.
    Mari,

FYI My niece had them 3 or 4 tines before she got a good case of then
    LOL - my dear hubby got them twice. He had them as a child, and then he got them along with our two oldest kids. He was in the middle of mid-terms for his EE degree at the time and under a lot of stress. His body made him slow down by getting the chickenpox from the kids.
    My grandson also got them twice. When he got it as a baby, Hillary rushed him to the doc and he was given a shot, which made his case of chickenpox much milder. When the disease swept through his third grade class a few years ago, he got it again and had a very bad case of them.
    Hugs,
    Marla

Thanks

Chicken pox seems to have a "mind" of it's own. I've seen it come back (did it really leave??) one of my brothers. Seems to me, that if you don't have a good go-round of it, it'll keep hitting you until you do, then maybe you build an immunity to it. Who knows... Anyway,

Quote Originally Posted by rob View Post
    Thanks for the link Jmail... my symptoms don't match...

...Sometimes it's hard for me to tell what symptoms are Lupus related, and which ones are due to MS...
    Not all shingles look the same, though if you're talking about relatively evenly dispersed little bumps, and both sides of the body involved near the same place, then most likely it isn't shingles. But the burning sure sounds familiar about it. Maybe it's just the dermis layer, or maybe something between the layers that's irritated by increased blood enzymes from a pinch of a lupus flare... Not being able to associate a particular symptom with a particular ailment is just a bit of a bother, ain't it? Wishing you well & relief from it, Rob...
    "There but for the grace of God, go I."
    "... His mercy endureth for ever."

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jmail View Post
    Chicken pox seems to have a "mind" of it's own. I've seen it come back (did it really leave??) one of my brothers. Seems to me, that if you don't have a good go-round of it, it'll keep hitting you until you do, then maybe you build an immunity to it. Who knows... Anyway,

Not all shingles look the same, though if you're talking about relatively evenly dispersed little bumps, and both sides of the body involved near the same place, then most likely it isn't shingles. But the burning sure sounds familiar about it. Maybe it's just the dermis layer, or maybe something between the layers that's irritated by increased blood enzymes from a pinch of a lupus flare... Not being able to associate a particular symptom with a particular ailment is just a bit of a bother, ain't it? Wishing you well & relief from it, Rob...
    Yes, the rash is evenly distributed on both sides of my body, in fact the rash on each hand look like a mirror image of each other. There are no bumps, the entire affected area is puffed up, and the skin is like scales. The burning is most likely neurological, because right now I'm having all sorts of neurological pain (my old favorite, the icepick through my heels is back). Anyway, I see the Neuro later this week, so hopefully he can figure out what's going on.

Rob
    Last edited by rob; 03-07-2011 at 07:33 AM.

Thanks

[wcf]Ah yesh, the ole ice pick thru the heal trick...[/wcf] WC Fields

Be sure and take a photograph of the rash... My doc loves those. 'Course, if she can see 'em first hand (skin rash), she just *loves* to scrape skin... tic
    "There but for the grace of God, go I."
    "... His mercy endureth for ever."

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,211 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rob View Post
    Yes, the rash is evenly distributed on both sides of my body, in fact the rash on each hand look like a mirror image of each other. There are no bumps, the entire affected area is puffed up, and the skin is like scales. The burning is most likely neurological, because right now I'm having all sorts of neurological pain (my old favorite, the icepick through my heels is back). Anyway, I see the Neuro later this week, so hopefully he can figure out what's going on.

Rob
    NO! Please tell me that the TN paid is not back! If so you need to call the doc even before you see him and see if he can up your tegretol dose. Since the tegretol has been helping until now (when you worse yourself down) I think upping the dose should help.

I am sorry but once I had my first TN pain I know what you are talking about and that shouldn't wait until later in the week
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~